1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius OBD2 Compatibilty and questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by statultra, Jun 6, 2006.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally got my 05 Prius salvage running, i love the new prius compared to the classic.

Problems
    Check Engine Light, ABS light, that amber light with the tiny exclamation point ( not to be confused with the master warning light ), and VSC light.

I tried to use my actron OBD 2 scanner, but it doesnt work. Is this due to the prius using a incompatible protocol?

if this scanner wont work then where would i go to get one? the gasoline engine sounds ok minus when i first started it up it was very rough, but probably because it was sitting for a long while.

Thanks
    Brian

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ScanGage is a reasonably cheep scanner that can do this. Try here http://www.scangauge.com/ If you want to spend more you can get the CAN-View at http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/ the V3 does it built in the V2 needs an add on. You get a lot more information from the CAN-View if you want it.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although there is a bit of info for the OBD2 (not sure why your unit wouldn't work...may be a compatibility issue), you really need a CAN reader as well for more techy stuff. But just for DTC codes a compatible OBD2 reader should be adequate.

4. georgel

georgel Junior Member

Which Actron scanner are you using? It may not be CAN compliant. Depending on the model it may be updatable, check the Actron website: www.actron.com