1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius oil change alert?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mayathystle, Apr 30, 2007.

1. mayathystle

mayathystle New Member

I don't use the MFD for much other than MPGs and monitoring the engine, so this may be a rookie question, but here goes. I recently used the map guidance and after it asks you to accept in order to see the next screen a message pops up about oil changes and where to take the car to get one. Does this mean that it's time for an oil change? I only have 2500 miles on my car. Please advise.

2. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

No. According to the owners manual oil changes are every 5,000 miles. I guess it is just making sure you know where to go 2,500 miles from now.

3. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Since you have NAV, you also have a fairly extensive calendar feature included with your Prius. Punch the INFO button up on the MFD, and explore the options up there. You can "schedule" all sorts of maintenance items, and then the car will give you periodic reminders of what's due when. Personally, I find this a little annoying, and have deactivated all the reminders, but that's just me. Hey, I LOVE this car, but really, I can tell when I need new wiper blades -- I don't need the car "reminding" to get new ones (yes, it'll tell you that too sooner or later...). I'm guessing you're new to the car, and someone had messed with your dates, and you're seeing meaningless reminders. Again, explore your MFD some, find this function, and do with it what you like.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i don't know much about the nav system since i don't have one in my car, but could it be set to 6 mo/5k miles whichever comes first? have you had your car for 6 months?

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As already posted, it's just a reminder from the calender function. Some dealers put reminders in there when you take your car in for service. Go in and clear out the ones you don't want.

Tom

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mayathystle @ Apr 29 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]432368[/snapback]</div>
    No, it only means that some greedy dealer set the NAV maintenance reminder for half the recommenced distance in order to profit at your expense.

7. mayathystle

mayathystle New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I need to explore all the features that this car has to offer. I really haven't spent much time doing that. I recently had some repairs done on it, so maybe that has something to do with it as well. Or, like someone mentioned, it was just preset to remind me, although there isn't a dealership punched in on it, just a reminder to get an oil change.

8. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mayathystle @ Apr 30 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]432840[/snapback]</div>
    I have that feature. When you set the oil change you can set any distance you want, but you also set any time you want, so it may have been set for 5000 miles or 3 months whichever came first. You can go in and reset the reminders yourself. It is easy. This won't affect the 5,000 mile maintenance required light because that is a different reminder.