1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Oil Filter Removal Tool (Socket)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Seagull6, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Seagull6

Seagull6 New Member

I went to change the oil on my Prius for the first time a couple of weeks ago and discovered that my old Toyota oil filter removal tool is about one size too big for the Prius filter, so I took a quick ride over to the local Toyota dealer, several auto parts stores and WalMart, and none of them carried the correct size socket tool. I managed to finish the oil change, but I am still looking for the correct size tool - does anyone have a source for those things? Also, what size is it? One auto parts dealer told me it was size 00, but I'm not sure he knew what he was taking about.

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I’ve used my filter tool for my Honda VTX 1300cc Motorcycle. I got it from my Honda motorcycle dealership. They are exactly the same size. However on the Prius there is enough room and I am able to just use a tight grip and turn without the tool to do the oil change. Have you tried that?

3. msteg1

msteg1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seagull @ Oct 25 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]338109[/snapback]</div>
    I purchased the correct oil filter socket at Kragen Auto Parts a few weeks ago. It cost about $6 dollars.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    $4 at Walmart. It fits on the end of the filter and takes a 3/8 socket drive. The strap type I have uesd for years was too large for the Prius.

5. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Whatever you do, stay away from the plastic socket tool. It has stripped itself and many filters...

I believe pepboys offers the correct size and in metal structure. I don't recommend the strap (eventhough I use it from time to time) because there is VERY little space around the filter to twist and turn the strap.

6. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I've changed the oil three times now and I haven't had a problem using a strap to remove the oil filter. You do have to place it in the right spot but not much of an issue really.

Ken

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    for $10-15 you can get a universal spring loaded filter remover. it's got spring loaded jaws that bite in when you drive it with a ratchet to the left (to remove the filter). you should be able to pick one up at sears. for home use this is probably the easiest.

8. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Where do you order the F103N valve? And what is the tool designation of the filter remover from Kragen or Pep Boys?

9. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

10. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seagull @ Oct 25 2006, 01:19 PM) [snapback]338109[/snapback]</div>
    I bought one at my Toyota dealer, it fits perfectly. Black metal cap style that fits a 3/8 drive socket wrench. I'd normally use a large pair of channel locks to get oil filters off, but with that metal pipe beside the oil filter on the Prius I'm not wanting to bang into it if I can help it.

11. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The best-fitting, highest-quality, metal end-cap oil filter wrench I came across was at NAPA, but at $8.79, it was pricier than most:

NAPA End-Cap 65mm Oil Filter Wrench

The metal ones at some of the other auto parts chains fit nearly as well and were up to half the price less. The one I got has 'AmPro' stamped on it.

12. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 31 2006, 11:10 PM) [snapback]341718[/snapback]</div>
    Concur. I bought one at the dealer that works great. Cost - $7.31. New oil filter, also from the dealer, cost - $5.41. Changing the oil myself with no problems whatsoever...priceless :p

Oh yeah, did I say I love this car? :D

13. cbs4

cbs4 Member

I first bought the end cap oil filter wrench from my local Toyota Dealer's parts department... a two step 65mm/75mm, 14 flute, Vector Part # 17040, that was Made in the USA.

It turned out to be a total %$**&%%# piece of %$#.

If I hadn't already taken a sledge hammer and destroyed it in my absolute frustration of having a 30 minute oil change turn into an entire Saturday ordeal, the thing would likely be sitting on the nurse's tray of some colon surgeon's operating room as a result of it having been shoved up the parts dealer's... but I never got that far.

As a result of that experience, I now have no less than 19 different oil filter wrenches, of various types, sizes, styles, and brands. I basically cleared the oil wrench pegs of every independent parts house I knew in town. One clerk could evidently feel my pain, as he gave me an unasked for discount on my collection piled at his register.

After all this experimentation, I found that the 14 flute, 65 mm end cap style oil filter wrench that confidently form fit the Toyota 90915-YZZF2 filter the best, with no slipping, no scarring, no denting, and no cursing is:

Lisle 54700, made in Taiwan.

Red card package, UPC 0 83045 45700 6

Lisle Corporation, Clarinda, Iowa 51632

It looks very similar to the wrench the local dealer sold me, but represented a world of difference in no slip fit. No amount of dimpling I added to that garbage Vector wrench could match the Lisle's hug of the filter.

14. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

AmPro Part # T70413 from Advance Auto is a 65mm wrench and I think it was 4.95.... It is metal... Didn;t get a chance to use it yet since it is a replacement. (see above post on plastic cap). However it fits very snug and I cannot imagine it slipping.

15. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Nov 1 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]342337[/snapback]</div>
    I think that's the one I use. For the money, it seems to be the best deal currently out there. The NAPA # SER3253 I posted about earlier is probably the very best of that style, but it costs almost twice as much as the AmPro wrench from Advance.

AutoZone sells a metal one that's cheaper than the AmPro, but the quality is poor and it doesn't fit nearly as well as the NAPA or AmPro metal 65mm end-cap wrenches.

Although I haven't personally tried one, the plastic end-cap filter wrenches (particularly the 'two-stage' ones), although cheap, don't look like they'd work very well.

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 26 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]339157[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.fumotovalve.com/

17. theorist

theorist Member

I've found that if I use the slightly longer Toyota oil filter, it's much easier to remove, even with a strap wrench. It fits the same filter socket, provides better access to other tools if the socket slips.

It has the same gasket, threads, diameter, bypass pressure, and price. The only differences that I'm aware of is that it is a little longer and offers a little more filter media. The current Toyota (made in Thailand) part # is 91915-yzzf1. Toyota requires this longer filter in higher powerd 4 cylinder engines used in the Scion TC, recent Camry, Celica GTS, Corolla or Matrix XRS, and old turbo and supercharged MR2s. I've heard rumors that Toyota considers this an approved alternative filter for the Prius. It may offer more protection and lower flow resistance than we really need, but with the same price and easier access, I'll take it.

18. mikel 52

mikel 52 Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I picked one up at AutoZone and it says it is a size "F" .
    It fits the original tiny Toyota filter. When I changed the oil the forst time I switched to a Mobile 1 M1-209 filter that is a little larger diameter and much longer.

Mike

19. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Nov 5 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]344234[/snapback]</div>
    There is one potential downside to the longer YZZF1 oil filter, and that is that it extends and gets closer to what appears to be an aluminum conduit (possibly for the cooling system) than the short oil filter. So, whatever goes through that conduit, if it gets hot enough (or cold enough, for that matter), holds the potential for affecting the temperature of the oil in the filter, as well.

However, I suspect that the possibility for damage is remote and is outweighed by the benefits of holding more oil and a higher filtering capacity. I'm personally not overly concerned and will continue to use the longer oil filter.

20. Prius07Pkg4

Prius07Pkg4 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Nov 2 2006, 11:18 AM) [snapback]342689[/snapback]</div>

If you have installed Fumotovale (Oil Drain Valve) for your Prius, How long does it take to drain all of your oil out???

Thanks.