1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius on a beach?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kdmorse, Sep 15, 2006.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So we're heading down to the beach (Outer Banks), out in the middle of nowhere. Lots of folks drop the air in their tires, and take their jeeps, suv's, or even little nissans out for a drive up and down the beach. (I think the nissan got stuck). We did it last year with a couple of 4WD SUV's and it was an absolute hoot.
    My question is - is there *any* safe way for a prius to get in on the fun. Can the (stock) tires be lowered enough to get enough traction as to not torture the extremely sensitive traction control?

Or is it just a bad, bad, bad idea........

(If the SUV has to rescue the Prius, there might be some embarrassment involved)

Thanks,

-Ken

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

It's mostly undocumented, but yes.

In fact, you can drive it in the water up to about where the windshield wipers deep in the water and it will do great. The body shape and high torque electric drive make this actually the best car out there for hitting the beach. The doors are designed to seal so the water doesn't come in, so if you keep the windows rolled up, you'll be fine and dry on the inside.

Most Prius owners are just too finicky to use this side of the car, so you don't hear much about it or see the pictures on here. Make sure you take some, especially when you're door deep in water and cruising along ahead of the Nissan 4x4's.

Have fun!!!! :lol:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I'm sure it will be ok... as long as starfish don't cling to the rear wheels? Stingrays may be attracted to the submerged battery pack... watch for that...

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Now for a serious answer to your post....

I wouldn't try it, except possibly on firmly packed sand. I had a Honda CRV (all wheel drive) on the beach at Cape Hatteras. It did fine on the firm stuff. Since you're headed that way, maybe you know where this is: There is a parking and day use area off Route 12 on Hatteras Island between Avon and Buxton, on the Pamlico Sound (west) side of the highway. You can access the sound's beach from the parking lot and drive on the beach southward a short distance. Most of that sand is pretty firm, and the Honda did well. The Prius might do OK too, as long as you avoid the more loosely packed sand that's there too.

I wouldn't dream of it on the ocean side, where the sand is much looser and thicker, and a vehicle needs pretty good clearance beneath it to "ride high" in the sand. My CRV simply didn't have the power, and almost didn't have the clearance. I got stuck once, and came close several other times. When I was stuck, thinking the wheels were spinning, I got out to dig the sand out from around the wheels, and then got my lady to try to gently drive it out while I pushed. It turns out the wheels weren't spinning at all; the CRV's engine simply didn't have enough power to push it out of the hole, even with me helping. Fortunately, some good Samaritans nearby helped. But I noticed the temperature gauge had spiked. As we continued, I watched the temperature gauge more closely, and it never really retreated as the 4 cylinder engine tried to push it through the sand. So I concluded that the CRV simply wouldn't do on the beach.

The Prius' traction control might help, and maybe the electric motor with its low-end torque might give it a little more "oomph" in these situations (pure speculation on both, BTW). But between the fact it's not 4WD, its overall low horsepower (compared to the 4WDs you see on the beach anyway), the low clearance of the car's body, and the fact it's simply not designed for this, I would avoid it except, again, possibly on firm sand.

Good luck and have fun. The Outer Banks, Hatteras and Ocracoke especially, are among my favorite vacation destinations.

Jim

4. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No, no no and no. Don't be ridiculous!

The sand and salt will wreak major havok with all your electrical systems and mechanical parts. As Jimbo said, you need a pretty powerful and high-clearance 4x4 to even attempt that kind of driving. You should have bought a car that you would enjoy, not one that doesn't fit your lifestyle...in other words, you should have bought an SUV instead.
    I, unlike most Prius Chatters, have no problems with big 4X4's if they are used for off-roading at least some of the time. I love offroading, I've even been to Moab, Utah, but I don't like people who buy Hummers or Suburbans (which both are no good at offroading) for simply commuting everyday. So, if you like riding on the beach, go buy some old beat-up 4x4 (because salt/sand will destroy a car quickly).

5. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You could always rent a 4x4 for the occasion...

6. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 15 2006, 09:55 AM) [snapback]320035[/snapback]</div>
    The average life of the chassis on a heavy duty body and frame based vehicle like the Jeep CJ series was about 3 years of cruising the beach on Long Island - NY. What chance do you think a Prius has with no frame and most of the structure almost bendable?

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree, absolutely no. While fun on the beach is fine for vehicles with low range 4WD and high ground clearance, its not something you want to do with a Prius.

There are a lot of SUVs I wouldn't try it in either, I wouldn't do it in anything without low range 4WD

8. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

Uh...no way.

We're leaving for OBX tomorrow (Corolla) and this year we specifically did NOT want to be in Corova Beach area because we do not own a 4x4 and had no intentions of bringing the Prius anywhere near the sand.

In fact my husband was just saying, "Honey, maybe we should drive the Passat to OBX. I'm worried the salty air might corrode the hybrid componants of the Prius." :blink:

*sigh* sometimes I have to remind him that the Prius is still a car...not an infant...

9. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for all the advice, about what I was expecting - a unaminous "Hell No".

Except post #2 up there.... He actually had me there for a minute, until the Starfishes and Stringrays started showing up...

We're leaving for OBX tomorrow (Corolla) and this year we specifically did NOT want to be in Corova Beach area because we do not own a 4x4 and had no intentions of bringing the Prius anywhere near the sand.

We too are heading down to OBX Corolla tomorrow too, will be staying for about two weeks. Should you happen to notice a Black 06 Prius, fairly clean (but could still use a washing) - with a exquisite coat if RainX on it all around - you've found me :).

Should you be curious, and actually see people - I'm the skinny one whose not standing up straight.

Grugh.. 6am is going to come up real fast tomorrow, as it's a long trip down from MD (as you probably know).

:)

-Ken

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't try this on an east coast beach...
    [attachmentid=5024]

Attached Files:

11. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Sep 16 2006, 02:45 AM) [snapback]320453[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on where on the East coast Bill. On Hilton Head, you can ride bikes with narrow tires and hardly leave a mark. The beach patrol cars barely dent the sand. It's almost like concrete. Of course, except for the beach patrol, I doubt very much that they allow cars on the beach.

- Tom

12. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I need to start making Photoshops of Priuses running the Rubicon, Baja, Mud-Bogging, Paris-Dakar, Pikes Peak, Towing Tankers into port, and sitting on Mountaintops like the Jeeps they airlift up there for commercials.

That should solve the problem.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Sep 16 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]320645[/snapback]</div>
    DANG!!
    I was just in the Georgetown, CA area today . . . with camera! :(
    I bet I could have got a picture of the Prius at the Rubicon trail head. And with an extremely low camera angle, I could make it look like I be a four wheelin'. No Photoshop needed. :lol:

. . . but there is no way in hell I'd be driving on a salty ocean beach! :blink:
    Why would anyone want to bring a Prius, of all vehicles, onto a beach???
    Forget about whether or not the car can do it, or what the salt and sand does to the car – but DO think about what the car does to the beach and that environment. <_<

Just be cause it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have 2001 Prius and bought 185 mm width extra load tires in part for the capability to lower the air pressure for off road driving. I have been stuck in sand and used the rear carpet mats for the extrication.

Anybody who leaves the paved areas is operating at their own risk. I am not recommending it, especially for those who have not done it a lot with other vehicles already. But if you want to see a Prius with dents in the oil pan and exhaust pipe, let me know...

15. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We had a lot of fun at the beach, and the 4WD SUV's did go up into the 4x4 area (no real roads, only accessible across 15 miles of oceanfront beach). Needless to say, the Prius did not attend - although there were *some* (few) spots where it would have done ok traction-wise.

I was going to post some photo's, but I'm having trouble getting them out of my cell phone. They would have shown....

*) 4WD Ford Expedition merrily plowing through the sand, playfully touching the surf...

... three days later ...

*) 4WD Ford Expedition dead at the side of the road - fully packed with crap - 50 miles into a 300 mile trip home...
    *) 4WD Ford Expedition rolled into a gas station - no signs of electrical life at all
    *) ... requiring jumper cables to provide enough juice to get it back into neutral
    *) ... so it could be hauled up onto a flatbed for towing
    *) ... to a Ford dealership in the middle of nowhere
    *) ... where it was found to have a dead battery, dead alternator - and an engine compartment full of sand

And of course there were no spare alternators for miles, so the Prius nearly had to run 150 miles out of it's way to pick up a replacement out of Norfolk and bring it back. (In the end, someone else made that run, as it made more logistical sense - there were dogs and luggage to shuffle)

All in all, it turned a 5 hour return trip, into a 12 hour mini-adventure for me, and even longer for the occupants of the SUV.

*oops*

-Ken

16. billyboy

billyboy Guest

You mean the Pirus doesn't float or drive underwater?

Damn, I'm going to cancel my order first thing in the morning! :D