1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius on Car Talk

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by aabbas, Jun 15, 2005.

1. aabbas

aabbas New Member

Did anyone else catch Car Talk the other day? A guy called up and asked what Tom and Ray thought about the fact that he noticed a 10 MPG average drop in fuel economy when he had the hitch rack and two bikes on his 2005 Prius. They guessed that it was essentially due solely to disturbance of aerodynamics and not significantly due to weight, but if he was curious to do the experiment he could load the rack and bikes inside the car and see how it affects economy.

I'm curious, do others notice a big effect from bikes on the back? My Prius hasn't arrived yet. My wife and I have discussed getting a bike rack, and she said that if the effect is that great then she wouldn't want to get a rack. I guess I agree, but only because it's not a big deal, we have a bike rack on the other car.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:aeb2b0c507]I'm sorry I missed that Car Talk, maybe it will repeat.

I think I'd have to agree with Tom and Ray. Air drag would be the MPG thief. On the other hand, how often do you drive around with bikes hanging off the back unless you are going to ride them?

You didn't say what your other car is, but I bet you will still get better MPG in your Prius hauling bikes than you will in your other car hauling bikes. The Prius has the better aerodynamics and lower fuel consumption. Your other car has worse aerodynamics and higher fuel consumption. And the air you'll be breathing while you pedal will be cleaner if you've hauled your bikes with your Prius.
    [/font:aeb2b0c507]

3. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant\";p=\"98584)</div>
    It is available on line CarTalk, Our Lousy Show, scroll down to segment 9.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I will most likely get a bike rack eventually. I will probably only use that bike rack when I'm transporting bikes and not leave it mounted to the car. Otherwise, with the seats folded, there's room for a couple of bikes - especially if you drop the front tires off.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Now all we need is a big wind tunnel a Prius and a bike rack! I vote for the drag. No one would ride a bike that had enough wight to make a difference.

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I normally tranport my bicycle laying down inside the Prius (rear seats folded down). Otherwise I transport bicycle(s) on a Yakima roof mount. Hypothetically will there be more drag carrying bicycles overhead or at the rear of the vehicle? Bicycles carried on the roof always have bras (cover from front forks, over the handle bars and to the seat) to minimize drag, insects and road detritus.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no need to remove the front tires. i can easily transport two bikes in my Prius and have done it several times. besides taking the front wheel off if you dont have quick disconnects, which i dont, is a pain.

8. Herb

Herb New Member

A trailer hitch rack?

I assume this would require putting a trailer hitch on the car as well?

Has anyone successfully used a trunk rack that can be stored in the hatchback while not in use?

Herb

9. t&#39;rants

t&#39;rants New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse\";p=\"98905)</div>
    I love that word.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My experience is with bike on a roof rack and 2001 Prius. Losing 10 mpg at speeds above 70 mph sounds about right. On the other hand, the mpg hit decreases a lot if you can just slow down to minimum safe highway speeds, and I would expect the same with a hitch rack.

11. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a good mat to use when transporting bikes inside the Prius? I did that one weekend and managed to seriously scratch up the carpeting type material in the back. I now have two long marks where the material completely scraped off, not to mention the dirt on the rear seatbacks. :(

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    all i did is bought two cheap vinyl table cloths. cost about $8 total. probably could have gotten away with one since one cloth covered the entire back but got an extra for kicks. although i havent had a problem with it, you might use one just to wrap up a wheel to keep it from rubbing on the inside somewhere