1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius on or off at the pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by etyler88, May 15, 2007.

?
  1. Absolutely never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sure all the time, stop worrying so much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sometimes I forget to power off, sorry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That gas pump had longer legs than I imagined it would, how about a poll.

2. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

I'll let you know this summer when it's time for my first fill-up. :)

I voted "never" because that's the plan.

3. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Guess I will be the first to admit it. I have accidentally left the car on while filling up. I think it has only happened 2 times in 2 1/2 years. I was too busy looking for my cell phone under the front seat. I kid, I kid!

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Turning it off guarantees that a passenger can't accidentally pop it into gear.

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ May 15 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]442611[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto. It has happened several times. However, it's happened many many more times when I wasn't pumping gas. It's too easy to hit the Power button and not notice it wasn't hard enough. I always press Park first though. In the cases where I haven't powered off, at least the beeper tells me when I get out and close the door. That's in my drive or garage where it's quiet enough to hear the beeper. In a gas station, it's not always that quiet.

Dave M.

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Phantom Load - makes absolutely no sense to maintain a phantom load. We turn things off when they are not in use - television, radio, washing machine, lawn mower, computer, lighting, etc. Makes no sense whatever to expend energy when not needed.

A major attribute of Prius is that it does not idle at a stop, the ICE only runs when needed. Why flaunt the obvious?

7. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ May 15 2007, 04:05 PM) [snapback]442775[/snapback]</div>
    Phantom loads are on in the prius whether on or off unless you disconnect the 12 volt batt. it will keep everything on that needs to be on phantom style :)

I have left mine on by mistake but I dont make it a habit either, as for passengers just knocking it into gear they would have to try if they hit it by accident it would hit nuetral, so watch your toes or better put on that parking brake before you get out, that should be a better habit to have.

8. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Off, absolutely off! I'd prefer not to take the chance that something could set the car on fire.

9. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why wouldn't you turn the car off just to be certain that the unexpected doesn't happen? Personally I don't find pushing a button to be that much of an inconvenience.