1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius or corolla

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by drmax, May 14, 2015.

1. drmax

drmax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i sure dislike making these posts as I'm sure it's personal preference. About to pull the trigger on a new car. I've had Yotas all my life. Narrowed it down to Corolla LE or Prius C. I am all about gas mileage. Mostly my miles are highway, 50 miles 4 days a week. I do have 2 kids 12 & 13 which would ride occasionally. My family already owns a sienna and wife has a Prius. This car for me. So going to go drive them both tomorrow and figure it out. Any opinions here as far as my circumstances? I really could care less about the comfort of the ride. I know the Prius isn't that comfy. Lastly, I keep my vehicles forever. My Tacoma is 20 yrs old with 221k miles. Hopefully I've given you experts enuf info to form an opinion. Thx DM

2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get the Corolla LE Eco! 2 Hour Drive 2015 Corolla S indicates 41.6 MPG, Comparo to my Prius | PriusChat

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius, no reason not to, from what you've told us. (y)

carolD and drmax like this.
  4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If 30/42 is enough for you, the buy price of the Corolla is compelling. 53/46 for the C is more but so is the list price.

So what can you actually buy each for and what do you think gas will cost in 10 years?

5. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    Wait until Memorial Holiday. Right now only 2K cash back or 0 APR. During Memorial holiday might be 2K cash back + 0 APR for 5 years. I like the Corolla over the Prius C. More space and it has LED headlight. More HP and much more room inside.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you should consider the regular prius, just because you have growing kids. They always need more room

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a big thing is the different driving experience.

8. drmax

drmax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would do the 0%. Darn hope it's not a tough decision when I drive either one. Really wanted the better gas mileage. Most likely would only be me in it. I'll think on it a bit

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    imagine the ice shutting down almost every time you stop.(y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. drmax

drmax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife has one of those. Like I said it'd most likely just be me. Now if someone told me the battery was gonna crap out in Prius before the Corolla experienced issues then that would matter. I'll keep what I get for very very long time. Most likely my kids would end up driving it as well.

11. drmax

drmax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh as in a/c? My wife's Prius don't have any issues. The eng kicks in if needed at the stop to maintain coldness

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, internal combustion engine. forgot you already have prius experience.

i would have to say you'll likely be replacing the hybrid battery at some point if you're gonna keep it that long. but the corolla might need some work as well.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The problem here is the "most likely be you only" comment. To have a car price similarly and not get the right one, especially when you keep the car forever, would just be a shame.

I just bought my prius 2 for $21500 OTD. I will be passing this down to my kid that's 11 now so she will have a reliable, safe, high tech gas saver for college and it'll have all the room she'll need as well.

drmax likes this.
  14. spyderx

spyderx Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I had both cars in last 2 years and I can say now that by far yours or my choice would be Prius C!
    They cost about the same but overall Prius C takes the cake easily.
    Corollas tend to wonder on highway speeds, you have to keep correcting your steering. This really bothered me a lot.
    And, w/ 2013 Corolla L manual I averaged best 36 mpg, 2014 Prius C w/o even trying hard I average 55 mpg.
    And, Prius C, with its lower weight feels faster even with combined lower horse power. Prius C tracks solid on highways, you see them zooming on the fast lanes at +70 mph on highways... because they can and feel secure. Corolla... not so.

No brainer here really... and I bought my Prius C2 for 17k before tax w/ 0%.... not a complicated choice

15. drmax

drmax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really good info. I'm probably leaning towards the little Prius due to its economy. Will give them a drive and figure it out. Interesting about the possibility of a better deal on Memorial Day weekend. I'll call my dealer and ask

16. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If most of your miles are highway miles, I'd get a Prius instead of a Prius C because Prius gets better highway fuel economy, 46 vs 48. (49 for the PiP) I drive 107 miles a day and chose the PiP but would've went with a Prius if the PiP didn't exist. Edmunds.com has a true cost to own calculation (TCO). I wouldn't even consider a Corolla under your circumstances if fuel economy and costs are important. It costs more to own a Corolla after 5 years than a Prius or Prius C according to TCO.

17. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mmmodem is right - the standard Prius liftback makes a lot of sense with two (in a year) teenagers in the back seat and mostly highway miles. I'll add 2 more things:

1) Better IIHS 2015 safety rating for the Prius liftback over the c or the Corolla for the small overlap test, and
    2) The discounts on the "lame duck" 2015 liftback are likely bigger than the c or the Corolla

mmmodem likes this.
  18. drmax

drmax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. Will have s look into this. Thx for heads up folks

19. drmax

drmax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Drove the Eco LE, Prius C and Prius 2. Corolla did nothing for me. Prius C a tad small. Prius 2 is the one. Next week my dealer mgr acquaintance will let me know of any Mem day specials. As it is, her is c/p from my dealer email.....
    "2015 Prius 2

$25645 Sticker Price

$23014 Sale Price

$24844out the door

$414 per month at 0% for 60 months" (Indiana sales tax 7%)

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With those prices, it'll make sense to buy a 1 way ticket to Massachusetts and drive one home. There was a guy that said he just purchased one for around $22000 OTD