1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius or HCH Hybrid Technology?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenMachine, Nov 8, 2005.

1. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We live in ski area in Vermont and I have a home office -- so no commute. I am getting a Prius this January.

My wife doesn't work so also has no commute. The trip into "town" is only five miles and constitutes the bulk of our driving.

We are also getting her a new car soon; however, the more I read about the milage hit with short trips and cold weather in the Prius, the more I wonder if we should get her a Honda Civic Hybrid instead of a second Prius?

Would the combination of both technologies give us better overall mpg since we could select which car to use for short trips or for longer trips?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no reason to think the HCH would do any better on short cold weather trips than the Prius...at least none that I'm aware of. I suspect the Prius MPG would still be better.

Driven carefully you should be able to achieve mid to low-40s with a 5 mile trip....depending upon terrain and conditions of course.

I think you'd definately benefit from adding and Engine Block heater(EBH), particularly if you have the advantage of predicting trips where you can plug it in 3 hours or so before you plan to drive so you're not wasting electricity by continually heating the engine if you won't be using the car. With the EBH you'll avoid much of the 'warm-up penalty' in that first 5 minutes of driving which should really help your gas mileage on those short trips.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What Evan said. There's no reason to think the Honda would do better in the cold. Darn that Prius MFD, reminding drivers how lousy fuel economy is on short trips and cold days :_>

4. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As much as I love the Prius, unless you really want another hatchback, I think the new 06 HCH looks great and at $23k includes NAV. If it was a Ford, I wouldn't both with this, but Honda's are reliable as well. Why not have 1 of each? :)

Did you get the same snow killington got a few weeks ago? Must have been nice seeing the white stuff :) I can't wait for some snow!

5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We got well over a foot of snow at the ski area and six inches down in the valley. Bring your snow shovel next time you come up this way :p

Thanks for the thoughts -- I do like the looks of the new Civic --- I have had four Hondas and one Acura, so I know of their reliability; however, I really like the looks of the Prius and believe that Toyota has a better reliability record overall.

On the other hand, even with the much smaller tax break with the HCH, I could get a nav system and still come out ahead. Or, I could get a portable nav system and use it in either car.

Decisions, decisions. LOL

6. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forget the shovel - I'm bringing my snowmobiles :) I just wish they were hybrids :D

7. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Don't they run on gas and also burn oil? That qualifies as a hybrid doesn't it?

8. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hahaha.. yeah, they're 2-strokes unfortunately, so they do both. I really wish I could afford new one's, I'd love to get a 4-stroke - no oil burning there.

I was thinking though, there would be lots of opportunity for a snowmobile to generate power. Granted, you'd be solely on gas going up hills, but there's lots of down hill areas and a fair amount of flat terran. I'm just not sure all that extra stuff would fit in an already tight space.

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, I bet the HCH DOES do better in short cold trips than the Prius.

Remember, the Prius is tuned to put a premium on emissions, so it spends extra time and fuel keeping the emissions system functioning.

If they wanted to tune it down to ULEV standards, the Prius would get better mileage.

Edit: On checking, it does look like the 06 HCH is going to meet AT-PZEV standards so this may or may not be a valid issue.

10. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The two systems get their efficency in different ways -- the Prius is electric with ICE assist and is very influenced by very hot and very cold weather. As I understand it, both conditions causes the ICE to run more, therefore decreasing the mpg.

On the HCH, it is an ICE with electric assist, so it might not be as sensitive to extreme heat and cold as far as mpg goes? Perhaps the warm up period isn't as critical to mpg? I don't really know any of this for sure They are just some questions I have in my mind.

11. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, we all have opinions, and here is mine.

I think the HCH would give more consistent gas mileage than the Prius, for any variety of trip length, outside temp variations and driver technique. Although, this would be less overall MPG that the Prius can provide, due to the basic differences in the HCH hybrid system.

The Honda system relies predominently on it ICE, all the time, so variations in trip speed, length, duration and tempurature will not cause a lesser nor greater percentage of ICE operation, as does the Prius.

Furthermore, the HCH has a normal metal gas tank, so inconsistencies common with fuel tank quantity during colder months would be absent in the HCH.

Finally, the less complex operating modes of the HCH would seem to require less importance on driver technique to get the most extreme levels of efficientcy out of it's hybrid system.

All that being said, I'm still buying the Prius, because I can get the most out of it.
    My regular commute will allow me to maximize the Prius HSD system, I understand the technique requirement, I like the hatchback configuration, it's larger and far more techno-interesting.
    I do like the looks of HCH, thought :)

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I hope you buy an HCH to go with your Prius. Then you can do a comparison test for us over several months or even years. I very seriously considered a Honda hybrid but ended up with a Prius because I thought the HSD technology was better than Honda's parallel hybrid system. Another big factor was that the two Honda dealers within a reasonable distance of where I live didn't seem the least interested in selling me a hybrid car. If you have reasonable access to both a good Honda dealer and a good Toyota dealer you are fortunate.

13. c4

c4 Active Member

Depends on whether Honda has implemented a similar cold start sequence or not.. Remember that the Prius is first and foremost, designed as a low-emissions vehicle; the good gas mileage was a bonus, not the design goal. Because of the low emissions target, it uses a fuel inefficient valve setting if the cat is cold to warm it up for emissions control (and on the Classic, they actually put in two cats, one with a hydrocarbon adsorber and a valve that opened and closed (and when the valve was closed, the car was a real pig due to the inefficient valve timing and the increased back pressure) to control cold emissions), and further, it won't allow the ICE to shut down or use stealth (unless you have the EV mod and have engaged it before ICE start-up) until the coolant temperature reaches 70C. All of this contributes to poor mileage in the first 5 minutes of operation.. The thermos in the HSD Prius helps a bit, but is not a cure-all; a block heater also makes a big difference, but again, does not solve the problem entirely, and you do need to have plug-ins available at all your destinations to take advantage of a block heater..

If the Honda does *not* have a specific warm-up mode and allows the engine to shut down at stops even when cold, you may still have worse mileage than usual due to cold temperatures, but I would bet that it would still be better in those first 5 minutes and short trips than the Prius.. After the initial warm-up period and on longer trips, I would put my money behind the Prius though..

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is simply not true. Although some Prius folks have long pronounced that as fact and have interpreted comments by some Toyota personel to make it sound true, it just isn't. For those who've read "The Prius That Shook The World" you know that the goals of fuel economy and emissions as well as the broader goal of "Creating a vehicle for the 21st century" were all simultaneously important. Emphasis and goals shifted throughout the design process but emissions and fuel economy (original goal of 50% improvement over similar model was repeatedly stated) were always simultaneously foremost.

Although this would be a very difficult thing to accurately measure except if you did a whole tank of cold starts and short trips in the two vehicles running side by side every day I still don't think it's true. But I can't prove it so maybe I should just shut up. All I know is that my kid's commute to school is 4 miles away. I can start and finish a tank at the same mileage I started it up with on all but the coldest days of the year. And even then can generally average 50mpg on that 4 mile run. I just don't think the HCH could do that.

The cold will affect the HCH in exactly the same way it will affect the Prius. All this stuff about ICE assist and such is just not accurate. ICE is the primary motive force in both HCH and Prius and Electric is assist on both, just implemented in vary different ways.

I agree with the one comment above that the percentage impact seen on Prius might be greater, but the actual MPG will, in my estimation, be better, easily, with Prius.

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You could get a cheap timer to turn the heater on 2 hours before your ready to leave.. portable light.. prob under 15 bucks.

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like this idea. Be sure to switch off cars at intervals or we'll be arguing the degree to which observed performance differences are caused by differences in the drivers.