1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius out of mud

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ChapmanF, Jun 28, 2008.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The two nearest co-op observing stations reported 0.53" and 0.84" of rain yesterday, when I packed up my poncho after work and headed up to the opening night of the Indiana Fiddlers' Gathering. Just outside the grounds I turned off the side of Railroad St. and parked facing down the grassy embankment, because most years the parking ON the grounds is completely full. Attendance was down a little last night for some reason and I could have parked on the grounds if I had thought of it, but pulling off the street is habit by now.

Five bands, seven stuffed grape leaves, two hours of rain and one tornado warning later, while squelching through the mud all the way back to the car, I began to wonder how good an idea it was to be parked facing down an embankment off the side of the street.

Just as I was nearing the car, a guy in a pickup to my left demonstrated one technique for getting back on the road. As soon as his tires hit the edge of the pavement, the flying mud changed to clouds of rubber-smoke and, once he regained control of the truck, he drove off down the road.

That was when I noticed that the front tires of the Prius - you know, the ones with the whole weight of the hybrid powertrain right above them - did not seem to be on the ground any more. They were more ... IN the ground, about three inches below where I'd left them. I started to wonder how long I was going to be there.

I get in, put the car into READY, let off the brake, and think "ok, here goes." Shift into R and push the go pedal down some. No effect. Push a little harder. Still nothing. Push more. The sound of the idling engine drops ever so slightly in pitch. Nothing moves. Push down further. The powertrain is now making a low, businesslike purr, and at a rock-steady half-inch per second or so, the car simply drives back up onto the road, where I crank the wheel (sweeping the headlights over the other faces standing around), shift into D and head for home.

Judging by the faces I caught in the lights, it wouldn't have mattered by that point if I'd played the _Close Encounters_ theme and lifted off the road.

I love this car.

-Chap

Mo113 likes this.
  2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You did the right thing by continuing to press the pedal. The traction control foils a lot of Prius drivers when they fail to press hard on the go pedal.

Tom

3. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Probably caused a few more folks to drop by their Toyota dealership. :car:

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. hackIT

hackIT Oceanic Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's so cool! Thanks for sharing the experience. My Prius continues to amaze me. :D

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My Prius was sinking into wet sand once upon a time, driving where I shouldn't have been. I dispatched the passenger to cut some branches for under the wheels and I started digging. As the holes filled with water I felt that time was short, so I put the rear floor mats under the tires and drove out. As I continued to reverse towards higher drier ground, pax came a-runnin' with his armload of branches, calling "wait for me..."

The floor mats cleaned up OK after they dried out.