1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius over heating light on Toyota couldn't fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by impulse7675, Aug 9, 2016.

1. impulse7675

impulse7675 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2007 prius with 112,000 miles. I replaced the coolant control valve and coolant. I removed all the air out of the system. my wife drove 700 miles to her family with everything working perfect. Now the car's over heating light is on. The car I believe wasn't actually over heating. Coolant is full, pumps working, no leaks. My wife took the car to Toyota and worked on the car for 2 days. They replace 1 sensor and it still doesn't. I know there is not a lot of info. I'll post the diagnostics from Toyota once I get it.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sure Toyota will get to the bottom of it.....at your cost. If everything was working fine before you replaced the 3 way valve, then you probably did something to cause this overheating episode.

But the 3 way coolant control valve you replaced has nothing to do with it overheating. Maybe air in the system.....but Toyota would know more

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would be very easy to prove or disprove your belief, by using an instant read infrared digital thermometer to determine the temperature of the cylinder head, the radiator hoses, etc.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am betting Toyota has not seen your car, just a dealer. If they are clueless, try another dealer. Toyota themselves has no service departments, although they do send out folks in warranty cases, if the dealer asks.

It is somewhat like calling tech support, if your tech seems clueless, hang up and call again.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you replace the engine water pump belt? Because if you did it would have given you a chance to spin the water pump and see what condition its in and with a flashlight look for green specks splashed around in that area reflecting the water pump bearing is shot and its leaking out of the water pump weep hole.