1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Owner Interview

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sublime9, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Sublime9

Sublime9 New Member

Hey all im doing a research project on the evolution of gasoline powered cars to electric/hybrid power cars and I need an interview with an actual Prius owner. Can anyone here spare a few moments to answer a few questions?

1. What car did you own before you purchased your Prius?
    2. What was the mileage you got with your old vehicle?
    3. What led you to purchasing a Prius?
    4. How do you feel about Gasoline vs Hybrid/Electric vehicles?
    5. In the next 10 years where do you think the market for automobiles will be at?
    6. How much were you spending a week to get around with your old gasoline powered vehicle? Indicate tank size etc.
    7. How much do you spend on gas with your new Prius a week?

If someone could spend a few minutes and answer all of these questions I would absolutly love you :) Im getting very desperate, ive searched my town and found 3 or 4 prius owners that have neglected to speak to me because they were "busy" :

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Jeremiah

2. GreenSteve

GreenSteve Web Hosting Provider

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    >Hey all im doing a research project on the evolution of gasoline powered
    >cars to electric/hybrid power cars and I need an interview with an actual
    >Prius owner. Can anyone here spare a few moments to answer a few
    >questions?

>1. What car did you own before you purchased your Prius?

A Mazda Miata

>2. What was the mileage you got with your old vehicle?

32 MPG?

>3. What led you to purchasing a Prius?

Low/Zero Emissions, high fuel economy, extreme geekiness of Prius

>4. How do you feel about Gasoline vs Hybrid/Electric vehicles?

Hybrid is a logical intermediate step to replacing gasoline as fuel.
    Toyota's astounding success with the Prius opens the door to discussions of greener and more efficient cars. It gives credibility to the hybrid approach.

> 5. In the next 10 years where do you think the market for automobiles will be at?

American cars then will be like european cars now; small, and sold as efficient and nimble. SUVs will be relegated to the used car lots, people
    will want a smaller car.

> 6. How much were you spending a week to get around with your old
    > gasoline powered vehicle? Indicate tank size etc.

$2.00 or less, no commute, low usage on old car.

> 7. How much do you spend on gas with your new Prius a week?

Less than $10, but new car is primary family car.

GreenSteve

3. Sublime9

Sublime9 New Member

Thank you GreenSteve! Got a name I could use in my interview? It was supposed to be conducted in person but this will have to do hehe :)

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

1991 Toyota 4Runner, 5-speed stick, 4 cylinder

2. Fuel efficiency with 1991 4runner?

23-25 mpg

3. What led to purchase of a 2005 Prius?

- air quality and fuel efficiency concerns. the 1991 4Runner is in excellent condition (168k mi), but at 14 years old, I was looking for a replacement. As a scientist, I need to model what I teach.

4. Gasoline vs. Hybrid/Electric vehicles?

- step in the right direction. I test drove a RAV4 EV, but Toyota now only sells to fleets (cities, special districts). The next phase after Hybrid/Electric will be Hydrogen Hybrid/Electric that you can also plug into the grid. Even if vehicles are zero emission, there is still a problem with road noise, congestion and particulate matter.

5. Market for automobiles in 10 years?

- zero emissions, able to plug into grid and draw current from photovoltaic panels (both on the vehicle and at charging stations).
    - Great need for light rail and a decrease in "auto worship"

6. Spending per week to drive 1991 Toyota 4Runner

- $30 (14.5 gal) @ 23-25 mpg and use of cruise control

7. Spending per week to drive 2005 Prius

- First fill-up: 9.9 gal (450 mi), $20 (one week of driving)

8. Other benefits of Prius

- air quality (SULEV)
    - model for others
    - good sound system

5. Sublime9

Sublime9 New Member

Awsome! Thank you skruse!

6. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

I didn't. I took the bus.

Unaware of what mileage the bus got. It was a CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) if that helps.

Was considering an Acura TSX but saw that the Prius had all the same features, almost triple the mileage, 3 more speakers and enough engine power to satisfy me, all for about $5000 less.

Both get me where I need to go, but if I can take that same course more efficiently, I'm all for it.

5. In the next 10 years where do you think the market for automobiles will be at?

Well, if it's more than just hype, it'll go the direction of Hydrogen, but I think more realistically we'll be looking at more hybrids in the near future.

6. How much were you spending a week to get around with your old gasoline powered vehicle? Indicate tank size etc.

$35/month for a bus pass

At most $45/month but that's 3 tanks and I'm able to go up to 1000 miles, anywhere I want and at my own pace. Not subject to bus routes and someone else driving.

7. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1992 Toyota Celica

9L/100km

The touch screen

Hybrid/Electric vehicles don't waste fuel

more fuel efficient vehicles

55 litres, $10

$5

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jeremiah, you either asked the right crowd (you'll get LOTS of answers) or the wrong crowd (you'll get TOO MANY answers)! :)

First, you might want to check the early 20th century. There were gas/electric hybrids then too. However, they used the gas engine to charge the battery, not for direct propulsion. They ran on electric motors.
    The 21st century ones are a little more technically sophisticated. ;-)

'95 Honda Odyssey 6 seat minivan - I drive 10 to 11K miles/year

22 summer, 20 winter. Could get 25 all highway on longer trips

I get a new car every 8-10 years, started looking at what was 'current' 2 years ago. Intrigued by the hybrid electrics (2003 Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid) - same 'power' as my Odyssey, twice the mileage. Test drove both. Dismissed both because the rear seat does not open to the trunk - too much lack of functionality. Otherwise, no problems. 2004 Prius announced - hatchback, folding seats, MORE room, MORE power, BETTER mileage, MORE features, SAME price! The 'full hybrid' (electric first, gas second) mode makes much more sense environmentally and mpg wise. Planetary gear CVT amazing. I trusted that being the 3rd generation hybrid for Toyota, it would be free of 'too different, too new, going to break' issues the naysayers promoted. However, as it was a major redesign, I let the true 'early adopters' buy and report on their cars for about 6 months and decided there were no major concerns. Then the wait list was SO long, I figured I would wait until the 2005s were announced since that is likely what I would end up with, in case they changed package contents or announced some new feature. When they didn't, I got on several lists, got one of the last 2004s made in only 6 weeks. I paid MSRP.

Gasoline only - thing of the past, there is no reason for most vehicles on the road to get 50 or 60% of the mileage they could. Hybrids, the future. 'Hybrids' like GMs Silverdo pickup, a joke. While I waited for the 2005 announcement, I would think "why is my engine running stopped at this light, in this line of traffic - all so unnecessary and wasteful.

IF the price of gas in the U.S. stays up, and up enough that people don't get used to it, I am hopeful people will realize that they don't need the big vehicles, don't need the big power. With China starting to use more, I suspect they will have a bigger influence on the global price of oil than any other country.
    (and you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition ;-) )

17 gallon tank, would generally fill up around 300 miles about every 1.5 weeks - 13 or 14 gallons. About $19 a week lately.

Only had to do it twice since I got the car (see below). Now at 225 miles on the 3rd tank, gauge at 1/2 :) Both fills under 10 gallons, both under $20. About $9/week. I expect the mileage to drop during the winter, but I don't know how much.

Feel free to pare this down some if you use it :)
    Bruce Alvarez
    South Burlington, VT

9. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

10. mmccking

mmccking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

11. kjb516

kjb516 New Member

1. 1997 Plymouth Breeze

2. Average of 25 MPG over the last 34,000 miles.

3. Decreasing my personal contribution to America’s dependence on foreign oil while also reducing greenhouse and smog forming emissions. In addition, purchasing a Prius will help (albeit minor) to reshape the market demand for automobiles and hence the future direction of auto manufacturers R&D expenditures.

4. I believe that they are a step in the right direction to reduce emissions and an over dependence on foreign oil. In addition, Hybrids employ technology that will also need to be implemented and perfected for electric or hydrogen vehicles to succeed (I.E. more efficient battery technology, mass production of powerful electric motors, regenerative braking, etc).

5. Without major increases in oil (and hence gasoline) prices, I do not see that much will change in the market. However, with the strong possibility of crude oil shortages (from increased world demand and even more unstable political situations in major oil producing regions), the auto market may be unprepared to face a rapidly changing demand.

6. Average of $20.50 / week.

7. Around $10 / week over the last 6,000 miles

12. obiwan

obiwan New Member

Houston - West, near Westheimer and Beltway

The car it replaced was a Ford Aerostar, we have kept our Honda Del Sol.

Aerostar got about 17 mpg city and about 25 mpg highway - but we use it mostly in the city. Del Sol gets about 30 City and about 40 highway.

The Aerostar was costing too much in repairs, we test drove the '03 model, but it was a bit small for our tastes and had some problems ( AC in Texas, etc) so we waited until the '04 was available - we put our names on the list the second week it was out.

WIthin a few years ALL cars will be hybrid - the technology is just too good.

WHat I WISH is that the market will be depressed since mas transit is available - but that is unlikely to happen - it is almost certain that the market will be depressed because of the high cost of fuel. (google and look at "peak oil")

25 gallon tank - almost $50/week
    (Del Sol has a 12 gallon tank - about $20/week

about $15.

13. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1. Owned a Chrysler Town and Country Van
    2. Old mileage was 14-18 mpg
    3. What led us to purchase a prius was...a. Tired of bending over at the Gas pumps, the toyota quality, a start in the right direction on conservation of oil and a beginning on eliminating oil as a propulsion source. An atmospheric one as well...the smog levels in this city are getting worse and worse...that needs to change.
    4. Total electric would be the most efficient,as soon as battery technology is there...our next vehicle will be hybrid or better.
    5. Hybrids will be morphing into an electric solely vehicle.
    6. 20gal tank at 2 fills per week @ 2.14 per/gal = 85.60 per week
    Prius = 10.6 gals 1 fill + 3 gals= 13.6 gals per week @2.14per/gal =$30.10 per week ... a reduction of $55.50 per week. or $222 per month less than the van...
    7. see #6
    Hopefully your report goes well...

14. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I owned a 1995 Honda Civic VX hatchback.
    I averaged 40 mpg for the life of the car.
    High mileage, low emissions, hatchback design, four doors, plenty of power, very comfortable. lots of cool gadgets like smart start, and the list goes on.
    I love the hybrid technology. It seems like such a waste for the engine to run all the time even when you don't need it like when you are stopped at a light. All cars should be made like this.
    I think there will be many more hybrids around, hopefully the SUV craze will be over, and we may even see the first sightings of fuel cell cars. It would also be great if we can find some other alternate sources of energy to run cars.
    That one is hard to say. I think I spent about what I am spending now which is about $6 a week. That is taking into account the price of gas in the last six months has skyrocketed.
    I usually can go three weeks without getting as and it costs about $18.00 to fill up. I am averaging 52 mpg so far.

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. 1987 Lincoln Mark VII

2. 18 if i drove fast, 16 if i drove slow.

3. The Prius is a much safer car than any car in our driveway. It has more cargo room than any of our cars. (suv's and trucks down count) It has more features than most cars 35k plus. Some featuers only standard on cars like Austin Martin or high end Mercedes. The efficiency with air and gasoline is amazing. It's just as clean has the tiny 2 seater Insight. It has a bigger engine and a lot heavier. I respect the engineering going into this car and it's efforts to help change. It also met my requirements for speed. I enjoyed having the power of the High Output 5.0L engine in my Lincoln.. i could smell it though which grossed me out.

4. It's about time our engines start to change. So far BMW and Toyota are ahead of the markets. BMW makes sport engines without "cheating" that get decent gas mileage and Toyota has very efficient small engines. Hybrid technology is moving us foward and providing a standard format untill our next change into efficiency. It also offers clean with performance.

5. Hybrid will be a standard platform. We will work harder on battery technology since it will be a large part of the market. we might use a differnt power storage system. engine efficiency will keep going up a lot. in 10 years we will have a standard of at least 40mpg on new cars. there will be a lot of change. But people need cars.. so car companies can do wahtever they want and people will learn to accept them.

6. about 50-60 dollars. old tank was about 18.5 gallons. i would try to only fill up once but might fill up 1.5 a week.. or 2 times every 3 weeks. I drove minimal. i think my range was 300 miles or so

7. 22-44 dollars a week. I drive everywhere. I even have family ride in my car instead of the family car. 2002 Cadillac Deville. My range for the week is anywhere between 400 and almost 900 miles. i'm only using 9.5-19 gallons a week.

16. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

17. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

1. 2000 BMW 3 Series
    2. 23 MPG
    3. One Person Carpool, and GPS system
    4. The Prius is no BMW, I don’t think you can compare the two right now.
    5. I think we will see performance Hybrids from German Automakers in there low end.
    6. 80$ a week, 16 Gal Tank
    7. 25-30$

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    1999 Ford Explorer
    18-23 M.P.G. city / highway. In the last few months before I got my car I started "practicing" for my prius and pushed it up to 20mpg city.
    I had been looking for a fuel efficient and environmentally friendly for 2 or 3 years but I wanted to get more information on battery life. I began to see reports of cars with >100 K battery life. I also saw that in my opinion that we have reached the limit of oil production and there was no where to go but up in price.
    Hybrid vehicles are the near term future of transportation. We need this bridge technology to the future. I would like to see the 4th or 5th generation Prius being the next beta test car of the future.
    In ten years the majority of new cars will be gas electric hybrid technology. Hydrogen hybrid and fuel cell cars will be the next new thing as renewable power sources produce the hydrogen to power these cars in the population centers. Distant and underpopulated areas will be using hybrids as the infrastructure is extended to these areas. Sadly many of these areas will produce our hydrogen by wind, water, solar, hydrothermal, and other sources.
    about 20 a week and rising
    5 to 7 dollars every week and a half. I now fill up every 2 weeks instead of once a week.

19. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Henry, this one confuses me
    Why "sadly"?

20. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds like the Prius replaced more than just the Lincoln! Maybe that Caddie will be replaced by a Prius. :)