1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius owners educate the public

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Taylor, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Something I have come to realize is that Prius owners seem to end up educating the general public, and the public doesn't generally have a clue as to what a hybrid is.

One friend asked me where I "plug it in" and gave me a baffled look after I explained that it uses gasoline and their was no way to plug it into anything.

Another friend said "you sit on the floor!!", no I don't, this is NOT some warmed over 1980's car design. The Prius has more legroom by an inch than the Ford crew cab truck I have, I went on-line and looked at the data on the official Ford Motor website, the Prius also has two tenths of an inch less headroom than the truck, five inches less hiproom in the back seat. I took him for a ride and at the end he said "lets do a roadtrip sometime in it".

Comfort in a smaller car for that average overweight American middle aged male was another fella's epiphany.

Some folks think there is some array of 12 volt automobile batteries hooked up in the trunk. I explain that battery technology is vastly improved, remember those bag phones in the 1980's??? yeah, well, my Moto runs on a very small battery that is a tiny sliver of the size of those bag phone batteries of 20 years ago and advances in battery technology have helped make the hybrid possible.

Few understand that the engine does provide motive force, it seems everyone thinks that the ICE just charges the batteries, and the electric motor moves the car only.

Everyone is suprised at the recapture of energy when braking, for many that is the neatest revelation of all. Several are do not understand what a generator is or does. I guess ALTERNATOR is what they know something about.

The quiet calm of the cabin in city driving is unique and most folks notice it if they bother to let me test drive them. One friend started to think that this should be the replacement for his wife's aging detroit guzzler commute car.

No one has yet expressed any appreciation about the extra airbags or "crumple zones" and other safety talk. It could be that no one admits to being clueless about what a crumple zone is.

Everyone seems to be keenly aware that fuel prices have started to edge up again, and have expectations that they are never going to see cheap fuel again. No one admits that they wrong bet on continued cheap fuel by buying some poor fuel economy vehicle.

Lets face it, cheap fuel encouraged overconsumption. No one but slightly daft Ross Perot ever advocated taxing fossil fuels more as a national policy though.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congratulatioins, Robert. You have taken the step from Prius padawan to Hybrid Educator.

I have not only fielded questions about Priapus, a co-worker has forwarded questions from his brother who is looking at the Lexus hybrid. I do everything I can to not make a deal about my car, but welcome every question thrown my direction.

You hit the nail on the head though in many facets.
    1) Prius owners are educators.
    2) Most people do not know about or understand current hybrid technology.
    3) Most people enjoy their encounter with a Prius for one or many reasons.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I get that all the time, and actually have come to appreciate all the extra attention I get. Most people are naturally curious due to the unique shape of the Prius, and once I open the hood and show the HSD they become hooked.

I think I'll probably wear out the hood release in another year or two, but that's a small price to pay. And I still get fingerprints on the side windows, from all the folks gawking at the interior.

What was REALLY odd was my condo neighbor, the person with that sad, broken i-drive in his $$$ BMW, never gave me more than a passing nod in the elevator before. We also work in the same building, but he get's off on a different floor.

It was only after his BMW started spending all that time in the shop that he apologetically approached me to bum a ride. Can't hurt, we work in the same building so why not, right?

He was totally hooked after the first ride, and every subsequent ride his enthusiasm for the car grows. I finally gave a careful once-over of my car when we got back from work and I was amazed at how the word spread.

Everybody in the building at work now calls me "that guy with the cool hybrid car." Hey, maybe Toyota should PAY me for all this free advertising!

Seriously, for the money, what other car will give you consistent positive reactions like that??

4. canuckican

canuckican New Member

What burns me is that some people who should be educators are not, sometimes anyway. My wife and I watch a very popular call in auto repair/advice show from Toronto on the weekends. When the expert finally got around to talking about hybrid technology one weekend I was sorely disappointed, but not surprised. The fact that he is an expert yet he could not remember the name of the Toyota hybrid model (that is he couldn't remember the word Prius) told me I should not pay attention to anything else coming out of his mouth. His conclusion was basically: don't get one. The hybrid technology is too new and untested. We can't be sure how it will stand up in Canadian winters (can Frank please call this guy?!) and why would you buy a compact car that is so expensive?

Now of all those things, what bugs me most is he bought into the myth that the Prius is a compact. The Prius is FAR from a compact. When people ride in mine, the two things they invariably comment on is 1) the space inside and 2) the quietness of everything (the ride, the engine, suspension...all of it).

So, as anticipated, I just ignored everything he said. Not being a Hybrid Educator, I did NOT call in to set this guy straight. Not worth my time, that's for sure. I should end by saying, the gentleman is very knowledgeable, and quite pleasant to listen to , I just think that like many "experts" he doesn't really know what he's talking about with Prius!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget the smart key entry and push button start! That's the first impression before actually getting in =)

6. kenmac

kenmac New Member

Because of the overwhelming success of the Prius, Toyota have been put under pressure in the production area.
    As a result, they have held back on advertising - it's just not necessary for the purpose of sales!
    In Oz there has been absolutely no advertisng for most of 2004 - the last one I remember was late 2003!
    The side-effect of this of course is that the general public are not kept informed about it all, except for the rare press articles.
    It's a pity, because this is more than just about a car.
    On one hand Toyota have done the right thing in actually producing a practical hybrid, in defiance of the other car manufacturers, but they really have missed the opportunity to push the message.

Personally, when anyone asks me about the car ( usually in shopping centre car park) I can hand them a copy of an information sheet that I have compiled for the purpose.
    We can all do our small bit in educating others!

kenmac

7. canuckican

canuckican New Member

My impression has been that most of the people I've given "the grand tour" to (including letting them drive it around) were not overly impressed by the keyless entry or keyless start. Don't know why, but they were left with a much deeper appreciation of noise (lack of) and space (abundance of). Not one person has ever said, "No keys! Wow!" they seem to just breeze on by and get to other stuff. I do point it all out of course, but keyless entry and start could be on ANY vehicle, and I'm sure will be soon in the future. It's the hybrid stuff that is really of curiosity.

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have about 400 yards of a flat 35MPH stretch before I get to my work parking lot. Except for the initial acceleration, I stealth the entire way. Some days, when I pull into the lot, people stop and stare at the silence. More than once, they've waited for me to get out or walked over. Sometimes, just to make sure they know I'm not coasting I'll reposition in the parking space. When they comment on how cool it is that my car makes no noise I say, "yeah, the engine shut off way back there."

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, well I guess your audience is older then :)

The only time I got stares (and glares) was at a cinema parking lot at a time when shows finished and scores of people walk towards their cars. It was night and it's amazing that people don't even notice the headlight and walk mindlessly in the middle of the road.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unfortunately, they were in gross error a few weeks ago... when complained about Prius not providing anyway to adjust temperature other than using the Multi-Display.

They had absolutely no idea there were buttons on the steering-wheel.

12. mspencer

mspencer New Member

I'm just picking nits, but in case you end up showing your Prius to an electronics geek, a small nitpick with your comment about battery technology might reduce your credibility with some hypothetical future ubergeek.

Battery technology has improved in the past 20 years, but not as much as you think. The part of the comment that bugged me was the comparison between old bag phones and newer cell phones. Old bag phones needed much larger batteries partly because they were radiating a much larger amount of signal. Transmitters were much farther away, and there were far fewer cell phones in use. Now we have extremely low-power transmitters on our cell phones, and transmitters are much more common (and therefore much more likely to be close to you).

The rest of that is true. Advances in battery technology indeed have made the hybrid possible. (I started writing an extremely geeky paragraph on different battery chemistries, but I don't think anybody really cares.)

So I'd omit the analogy about bag phones versus modern cell phones, but everything else sounds great. Keep up the evangelism! :)

--Michael Spencer

13. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I heard that episode, too, John; my impression was that Ray was complaining about the usability of the Climate screen on the Multi-Display. I may have missed something, but I don't believe the steering controls came up.

And on that point, I have to agree with Ray.