1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Package #3 or Honda Civic LX?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by johngreenbaum, Aug 12, 2006.

1. johngreenbaum

johngreenbaum New Member

this is my first post and I am seeking advice before I spend big $$ in the next few days. My 2006 Package # 3 Prius is supposed to arrive next week. I negotiated trade-in and final details today, so I now have an idea of the final cost. We live 3 miles from everything (schools, wife's work, grocery store, soccer fields, etc.) and the Prius will be used primarily for these short trips. We were interested in the Prius because of good gas mileage. The Prius will be my wife's car, and we anticipate driving it about 10,000 miles/year.

I presently own a 2006 manual Honda Civic LX which I LOVE. It gets 40-42 MPG summer and 37-38 winter. I compared the price of another Honda Civic LX automatic for my wife, and the final price comes in about $4000 lower than the price of the Prius, even factoring in the $3150 (federal) and $500 (PA :huh: ) tax credit/rebate.

Given the great price and mileage for the Honda Civic (non-hybrid) LX, am I crazy spending $4000 more for a Prius? Yes the Prius has a back-up camera, keyless entry, etc., but those are all frills, and we really want a reliable car that gets great gas mileage. On the other hand, it IS boring to have two almost identical cars and the Prius is pretty neat (and my kids love the computer monitor!).

WHICH CAR SHOULD I BUY?

2. wtfjr

wtfjr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PAGreenie @ Aug 12 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]302190[/snapback]</div>
    We just took delivery of our Prius w/pkg #3 last Monday. It appears to be a fine car. Juat as all here say. But, we received our insurance billing today & it costs more to insure than the 2004 PT conv or our 2005 Denali - now for sale. This was a beeg surprise to us !
    You will be doing other trips other than to work, so I'd say go for the Prius for those long holiday drives.
    Best.
    Bill in FL

3. B Rad

B Rad New Member

If I never had to darive more than 3 miles from home I would wait for the new Smart Car....If I could not wait I would buy a Honda Fit... If all my stuff would not fit in either, I would sell the stuff.....

4. johngreenbaum

johngreenbaum New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Aug 12 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]302209[/snapback]</div>
    I guess I need to clarify trip length. About 40%-50% of trips would be under 10 miles round trip (mommy car pool trips). The rest would be family trips of greater length. Probably 5K/year short trips and 5-10K a year 25 miles+.

As I noted above, my Hoda Civic gets about 41MPG in my 20 mile commute. If my wife used it, I am guessing the MPG would be around 36 because of shorter trip length.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I think you should ask your wife which one she prefers. :)

6. riva

riva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PAGreenie @ Aug 12 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]302190[/snapback]</div>
    Given this comment, I don't think you will have any regrets if you choose the Prius. I was also in a similar situation before I made my purchase of a 2006 Prius with the exact same package, although I was considering the Prius vs the Scion Xb for 8k less. No regrets here.

I'm inclined to think the Prius would cost less to insure than a Honda Civic. In fact, my Prius is costing me less to insure than the 2002 Nissan Quest minivan I traded it in for. One other advantage you'll find with the Prius, over the Civic LX, is it's seat configurations and versitility. So if cargo storage and versitilty are a factor, you may want to check out this page from Toyota.com. http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2006/prius/...ersatility.html

Not to mention, it's a very comfortable car. Good luck with your decision.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If I were your financial advisor I would say buy the Honda, but as riva says having two the same is boring. The Prius is a lot of fun if you enjoy technology, and if you're green as your name suggests the Prius may be slightly greener. But they are both very clean cars. I like them both.

Of course there is also the Civic Hybrid. In some ways the Prius is better; but in others the Civic Hybrid comes out on top.