1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius packages

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by willow, Dec 6, 2005.

1. willow

willow New Member

We are negotiating to order an '06 Prius from a dealer in southeast Virginia. We would like a package 4, but the dealership tells us this area can only get packages 2, 6, 7 and 8. Meanwhile, in neighboring North Carolina, it appears package 4 is available. We've just recently become aquainted with PriusChat, so this may have been addressed previously -- but can anyone explain why the full range of Prius packages is not available at dealers nationwide?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't know. I wanted to get a #5 package (this was in end of 2004 and beginning of 2005), but found out you could only get a #1, #3 and #6 in So Cal. I went to http://www.toyota.com/toyotaConfigApp/index.jsp and tried entering different ZIP codes to see if other areas had the #5. Nevada used to, but didn't when I went to buy. In the end I got a #6.

Obviously there's more profit with more accessories, but unless you're willing to travel (or can find a dealer willing to ship) sometimes you have to rethink what you want.

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    There's been a lot of discussion of this recently. It's basically to simplify the lives of dealers. If dealers "ordered" cars for individuals, there'd be no problem. But they don't. They have "allocations", based on their sales volume. With all the possible combos of color and package, the odds of getting in exactly the combo YOU want would be slim. So most regions just offer (usually) four packages, and tell their customers those are the only ones "available". That's STILL a lot of possible color/package combos, but it makes the odds much better, for the dealer and, therefore, for you.

For smaller dealers, especially, who may receive, say, only 2-5 Priuses a month, it's critical.

You won't hear much about it, but some dealers WILL make the effort to get you an out-of-region car with a different package. It involves them making a swap. You just have to ask.

4. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I asked about a swap yesterday - while Toyota HQ maintains that it can be done, most dealers seem reluctant to do it. From their perspective, not sure there is anything in it for them (at least for the dealer releasing the desired vehicle), so why bother. And since most have a waiting list that is quite long, your unwanted Prius will simply be passed on to the next salivating customer. ;)

5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This perplexes me too. I started a thread on it a while back which had many comments and ideas on the subject.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...kages+available

Reading both threads, I am still not convinced there is a good reason.

6. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

All quite true---yet we've still had a handful of reports here of having succeeded.

7. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

I was told by my salesman today that a package #4 is not available in any California region, so the only way he could get it for me is by ordering from the factory, which takes 90-120 days. I told him to go ahead; I can wait. (I want the vehicle stability control, but I don't want to pay the thousands more for higher end packages.)

Are there no other dealers out there who will do factory special orders? I'm glad I have one!

8. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Yours is only the second I've heard of in almost five years (although there could be several who just don't say anything).

9. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Carousel Toyota in PA was willing to do factory orders when I talked to them last summer but they did warn that it would take a long time.
    Whether Toyota is currently accepting special orders on the Prius is another matter.