1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius paint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by diane, Oct 23, 2006.

1. diane

diane New Member

Hi again:
    I have a salsa Prius (2005 - I've had it a little over a year). I wrote two weeks ago about the paint chips all over the front of the car and also along the sides. I've taken it to the local dealer and the Toyota rep was willing to drab little drops of red paint all over the white chips and I've decided to go further with the problem since it seems to me that this expensive car should have had some sort of protective covering on the body to prevent (for the most part) the paint chipping. If anyone out there is having similar problems, I would really appreciate hearing from you before I call the customer assistance center and pursue this further. Thanks for checking in and letting me know. Diane

2. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

I agree with you. My car is just 5 months ...but 9000 miles on it ....and has ton of small chips on the hood.
    I have had cars before but none of them chipped so easily. Is it the paint on prius or the shape of prius?

3. cobra94563

cobra94563 Junior Member

I assume the chips are from road debris (it didn't just flake off). I'd be interested if they help you out because they could say it was due to the driving conditions you experienced (i.e. gravel on the road or harsh weather?). I've noticed of our cars, models sloping hoods tend to get that damage easily.

Somewhat related, I applied a clear hood and bumper protection film on our 2007 prius this weekend. It was reasonably inexpensive, but I don't know how long it will hold up. The contours were a little difficult, took about 2 1/2 hours to install.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diane s @ Oct 23 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]337023[/snapback]</div>
    I have an '05 Salsa also, around 15K, and I have several stone chips on the hood, and one or two on the front doors. I think it's a function of the shape, i.e., the sloping hood and no chrome grille to catch rocks etc., so I'm not particularly concerned about it. They sell a touch up paint with a little ink-pen-like applicator, that's worked pretty well for me.

5. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 23 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]337045[/snapback]</div>
    after you touch up the stone chips have a 3M clear bra installed on the hood and bumper.
    you won't get stone chips anymore.

search for the 3m clear bra on PC you will find everyone is very satisfied with it.

I have 12k miles on my 2006 prius and not one rock chip, I love this product.

6. pete bogumill

pete bogumill New Member

:unsure: when my 06 prius had 2000 miles on it i noticed two little chips on my new car and within 2 hours i made an appontment for 3m clear on hood on front bumper and on the two front mirrors and also on top of back bumper and was a little spendy. but since i had it done i have never regretted this . if i had to do it all over again without a doubt i;d do it again in a second. so if you care about the prius front ? have this done. dont hesitate cause it will then be too late. :rolleyes: pete

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if you have rock chips on the hood and front bumper have a look at the A/C condenser and notice all the dings and bent fins on it as well. I finally put a double layer, overlapping, of expanded aluminum behind the grill to stop the bigger damaging stuff from getting thru. But the hood will need putty and paint in the spring. Just over 3 years of diving and getting it painted. The reality of modern hiways.