1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Paranoia Dissipating? Or nobody is following me.

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by The Electric Me, Sep 25, 2016.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure this is specifically the right forum for this topic.
    But now that I'm an outsider, I thought I'd share this observation.
    After having driven my Honda Fit for about a week, I'd say this.

The Prius taught me how to drive conservatively the past 3 years. HSD and the Toyota driving feedback software encourages economical driving. Well that and 2 consecutive speeding tickets, but that's a different story.

But my point being, I'm driving The Fit, in a manner and at speeds very similar to the way I drove my Prius. I always drove my Prius to be safe in traffic, so I accelerated with traffic, and I usually went the speed limit at the very least. I always believed that HSD and the Prius actually allowed you to drive in a very "normal" manner and still return great gas mileage. But I would say the past few years have been devoid of "jack rabbit" starts, or any races to the next stop light. How much of that is actually The Prius, and how much of that behavior is a result of wanting to avoid a 3rd speeding ticket and/or just getting older? That's debatable.

Now here's the somewhat interesting part.

I KNOW I'm not driving my Fit any faster than I was driving my Prius.
    I still would like to avoid getting a 3rd speeding ticket as they slowly fall off my record.
    I always felt the "Persecution Paranoia" that many Prius owners claim to feel or experience on the road was overblown.

Oh, I would drive my Prius on the freeway and occasionally get the @-hole driver, that would blow by me at ridiculous speed, purposely cutting me off in a dangerous manner, but I always just attributed it to @-holes will be @-holes, not really attributing it to "It's because I'm driving a Prius".

But after a week of Fit driving at conservative speed? I HAVE noticed a difference.
    On the freeway, even if I'm ONLY going the speed limit, people are far less prone to pass me. They'll follow for much longer. And most noticeable, if they do decide to pass, it seems to be in a LOT more sane manner. They'll signal, get over, and just calmly pass me.

I can only really surmise that the difference is pretty much that I'm no longer a 'Prius' on the road. So even though I'm driving in very much the same manner, people aren't following with growing rage, or the pre-concieved, "It's a Prius" prejudice.

I always consciously made the decision, even after 2 speeding tickets, to never drive The Prius in a purposely chosen "slow" manner. At least the speed limit, as long as that was safe. And yet at whatever was posted, 55-65 miles per hour, I would routinely get passed, quickly by nearly everyone, and often passed in an outwardly aggressive manner.

Of course it's only a week of limited driving, and hardly a scientific study. But I do feel a difference. I seem to be less a target for flow of traffic aggression now that I'm no longer driving a Prius.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  2. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a nice couple of months with no tailgaters. But I guess I was lulled into a false sense of bliss :love:, because now they're back! Those stressed-out soccer moms in SUV's, and the big ugly mean dudes in 4X4 pickup trucks.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I definitely feel that some people will absolutely do anything to get around/past a Prius. I'm sure they've gotten "stuck" behind one of those drivers that was trying to accelerate entirely under EV mode, etc.

But then again, people still drive like @-holes when I'm in my Camry as well. Sigh.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  4. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would like to de-badge my Prius, and put Chevy Camaro on the rear.

In my area, lots of people routinely drive 10 to 12 mph over the posted speed limit on city streets.
    At "40 Zone" becomes 52! Get out of the way, or get run over.

And most of the tailgaters I get are young women. I'm doing 50, and they are right on my butt. Ladies, what's up with that????!!

Montgomery likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wait? you sold your fit for a prius, and sold your prius for a fit? i must be living under a rock.:p all the best!(y)

6. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't fit in a Fit.

I tried.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've had a Prius pass me on the shoulder of a highway, and rubbed our quarter panels when they pulled back onto the actual lane.

I'm going with the A-holes will be A-holes.

8. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see a LOT of Prius drivers blasting down the city streets and freeways. It's gotta be young guys. No respect whatsoever for the speed laws. I guess they figure they're getting 55 mpg, so they go ahead and do 90 mph!

I had another YOUNG WOMAN tailgating me yesterday... and she was in a Prius v wagon! I was doing 48 in a 40 zone. I guess that wasn't fast enough for her. (Watch out for impatient soccer mommies!!:ROFLMAO:)

9. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Electric Me is correct. I rarely see other small cars getting tailgated. Far less than me, in my Prius.

It's gotta be the PRIUS name that disturbs (crazy) people. Sure seems like a stupid and silly thing to get angry about! But that's human nature for ya...

Bluegrassman likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think a lot of people realize that if a prius gets in front of them, they will be reduced to the legal speed limit.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Possibly, not always. But it is so simple to just go around the Prius (or any slower car.) Why sit back there, fuming, tailgating, and getting all frustrated? People bring so much silly & unnecessary stress upon themselves, when there is usually a very easy solution.

Just PASS the damn Prius!!:LOL:

12. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius stigma definitely exists.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You're assuming they actually have noticed they are tailgating someone;)

Coast Cruiser and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. people drive so aggressively these days, and so close to the car in front of them, i'm sure a lot of them have no clue.
    when i'm in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway, if i leave one car space in front of me, more often than not, the person behind me will cut someone off in the next lane, just to pull ahead and back in front of me.
    i think they worry that i'm going to let too many cars in, and they'll be a minute later to their destination.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is kind of interesting:

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  16. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If they don't notice they are tailgating us,
    if it's really getting that bad,
    then Heaven help us!
    We'd all better start taking public transportation.

But I think they know darn well what they're doing! Just purposely trying to aggravate us. And if they are doing something to distract themselves, they also know darn well they shouldn't be doing that distracting thing! I think it's just blatant disregard for the driving rules, and common road courtesy. Some people are just plain idiots. No way else to describe it.)

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think a fair number of tailgaters are just "in a rush". I'll get there faster if I push in...

18. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But even with the occasional frustration that comes with driving a Prius... once we reach our destination, we can find peace and God's beauty. It's all worth it. (Photo taken at 0645 this morning, while Cruising the Coast.)

image.jpg

Ursamajor, KennyGS and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Seaulater

Seaulater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I can even hear the waves crashing on the sandy beach and warm air blast and ocean smellllllls :)
    When I drive Subaru Forester it is different. But I still prefer to drive Prius and I think my next car will be Prius, 2017...when I finish my lease on 2014. I think in a few years no one will pay attention what car you driving since more and more different hybrid, electric cars will be on the roads. Prius will be just "another" hybrid car.

bisco and Coast Cruiser like this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here in California, there are so many (older) Prius on the road. It already is "just another hybrid car." Nothing special.

I see more new Chevy Volts than new Prius. And more new Honda Civics.