1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Passing Rage....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamesbalch, Nov 9, 2006.

1. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi People!

Occasionally when I hve the need, I drive somewhat faster than the speed limit. This doesn't happen too often as I have purchased the car to get great gas mileage, and it goes down quite readily when I race around in it!

I have noticed a strange phenomenom when I do it....

People I pass sometimes get mad at me! They are buzzing along at the speed limit and when I cruise on by, they get the strangest looks on their faces.....then they usually speed up and pass me back while giving me a very dirty look!

Does this happen to anyone else?? :lol:

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think they're the same people who can't stand to merge onto the highway behind a Prius, even if it's the only car for a mile in either direction on a 4 lane road :)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I usually don't speed pass the limit (mileage is more of a concern than getting there 2 mins faster). They do tend to speed up and close the gap more often in my Prius than in my Camry when I indicate to change lanes.

However, on the highway out of university, I would usually have people overtake me then cut right back in near the end of the highway (where you slow from 80-60-50km/h) cause doing 70 in the 60 zone is too slow for them. I'd rather let them pass anyway because the road has a slight crest so you can't see too far down the road and cops love to use that to their advantage to set up speed traps. Therefore, letting them pass is a good thing!

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Driver behavior has little to do with the vehicle. We observe erratic, speeding, careless and reckless drivers switching lanes and cutting people off, even when the center stripe is double yellow. At first you ask, "what did I do to upset that person?"

You keep driving trying to collect your thoughts and feelings. You observe the car that just overtook you at great speed and notice the driver's behavior has nothing to do with you or the vehicle you are driving. That other driver always drives in a careless, speeding and reckless manner.

This is pure short-term thinking. Regardless of the cost of fuel, the speed limit, traffic loads, topography or weather conditions - they drive the same way, offended at those who do not get out of their way and impulsive driving.

5. kDB

kDB New Member

People seem to react to the type of cars around them. If i drive 65mph in a 60mph zone in my Prius, everyone rides my bumer or passes me. But before I got my Prius and I was driving a Firebird, even if I was doing 55mph in a 60mph zone, noone would ever ride my bumper, and people would tend to slow down around me.

I guess they see a Prius and just assume that it's moving below the speed limit. Just as when they see a sports car like a Firebird they assume it's going faster.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Nov 9 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]346572[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. Happens all the time on the highway. I can be doing 90 in an 80 zone (km/h) or 100 in a 90 zone and they'll still change lanes waaaay back.

Heck, it happens at traffic lights too. The other lane would have more cars but I'd still see people change lanes so that they don't have to be behind me. After the light goes green, they change back cause my lane's going faster :rolleyes:

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim B. @ Nov 9 2006, 04:57 PM) [snapback]346541[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, this happens to me. I can take a two-lane road about 20 miles or so (Highway 98 for you RDU dwellers) for my daily commute and sometimes find myself behind the occasional person wanting to go slower than me, usually the reverse though. Last week I came upon a phone-talking BMW 740 operator going about 52 in a 55, and waited to pass him in the broken yellow and cruised on about 65. He sped up to about half a car length behind me and stayed there for the duration.

8. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Nov 9 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]346561[/snapback]</div>
    In Cali this might be true but, in Texas it is rare that a SUV or pickup will drive nice near a Prius (or Camry). I proved it to my son (he drove a pickup for a year). He now drives my old 93 Camry. He now notices how SUVs and pickups will pull out in front of him or tail gate him. It's almost like they have "I OWN THE ROAD LITTLE CAR" attitude. I can only imagine what it must be like these days to drive a motorcycle.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim B. @ Nov 9 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]346541[/snapback]</div>
    Could it be that, "flippin the bird" bumper sticker? :^) I notice here in CA, lots of drivers are on the verge of road rage. They don't really need a rational reason. I carpool with a nut like that. Any Excuse to be angry. I used to have a personal plate on an '89 porsche speedser that read, "YBALUZR". Though it was directed to racing enthusiasts ... many folks obviously took it as a personal attack against their personality because I often got vile comments or "the bird". Sheesh. Anywho, if you're really worried, just drive slower!

10. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Interestingly enough, I was driving to work the other morning and obviously didn't get away from the light fast enough so the yo-yo passed me on the wrong side (using some on the berm). I passed him several miles later and he just fell behind - and I was only going 5 over the limit. He just couldn't keep it up - the speed that is.

11. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Nov 9 2006, 06:30 PM) [snapback]346572[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, when you had the Firebird everybody just assumed you were going slower because your radar detector was going off. I think the radar detector comes standard on the base model. :)

In the Prius, they get pissed because they're stuck behind some idiot who thinks he's saving the world by driving a golf cart with doors. :)

12. dachshund

dachshund New Member

Yes! I'm surprised at people's reactions. People are always racing around me. What, am I driving a big potato or something??

The freeway onramp behavior is always bad, regardless. It's as if people are going to lose an entire month of their lives if they let someone on the freeway ahead of them.

I was also surprised when I bought a BMW years ago, and it had the opposite effect - people moved out of my way, all the time. We seem to assign personalities to cars around us. I know the 2 ton pickup truck has "big jerk" written all over it, in my experience. (Present company excused.)

13. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All of the above is certaintly very true especially in LA. The thing that ticks me off is that people are always expressing their DESIRE to SAVE gas and yet they are the ones doing 75-80mph!!! Hello?!?

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Nov 9 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]346600[/snapback]</div>
    This is exactly why everyone should drive a Prius. My stress level has gone down and I am so much more relaxed in my Prius. Maybe it's the transmission or the fact it can be so quiet. But driving has become a pleasure. I really think they should do some studies to see if driving a Prius can lower your blood pressure.

15. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's them, not you.
    they'd probably be mad no matter what you drive....

I went zipping past a guy in a big ruck the other day who was just starting up from being stopped at a light.
    He HAD to pass me at the first opportunity........I just laughed!

16. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And these are the same people that complain...

"The sticker is BS! I don't get even closeeee to the advertised MPG"

...well 80mph with A/C on a Sequoia/Suburban/Expedition won't exactly give you the stated 16+mpg.

Maybe it's all about looking good, going fast, and catching up because they are late...

17. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've never seen so many people so desperate to get into work and then so desperate to leave !!

I'vehad a fair bit of abuse for staying at the speed limit - especially when I am EVing because the max is 30 mph

Nowadays my daily satisfaction is when a guy will be tailgating me until he can't stand it no longer and rips past me at light speed, and then, 30 secs later - at the next red light - when he is in the 'fast lane' and I go for the emptier slow lane - I'll stealth past him and when he glances up he'll see the biggest grin on my face as I laugh at him.

Have to say though, it can get quite stressful at times

18. kDB

kDB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Nov 9 2006, 06:18 PM) [snapback]346620[/snapback]</div>
    I never though of it like that, but it might just be true. BTW, I did have a radar detector in my Firebird. It was given to me the day after I bought the car. I never did plug it in, and I think I left it in the car when i sold it.

19. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Doin't know about California, but in Texas if you're stopped and the patrolman notices a Radar Detector, you will likely get a citation and lecture. No Radar Detector, there's at least a chance you'll only get a lecture if you're only a few miles over the limit. A few years back, some were concealing their Radar Detectors in a small Kleenex box sitting on the dash.

My Prius has changed my driving habits. I usually set the cruise control to ~5 MPH over the posted limit and, traffic permitting, just relax and enjoy the MPGs. Never re-connected my Radar Detector.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinball @ Nov 10 2006, 04:46 AM) [snapback]346818[/snapback]</div>
    I do that! But NOT if my wife is in the care or she'll yell at me, "quit making eye contact or you'll get us killed!!".