1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Patches (aka Prius 2.3.2)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cosmo, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo New Member

All,

As far as I understand, one of the most difficult things about engineering a full hybrid system is the software necessary to control the system. So I got to thinking, does anyone know if Toyota ever releases a patch from time to time for the hybrid software. It stands to reason that as real world data is obtained by Toyota dealing with charge/discharge of the batteries, temperature effects on efficiency, etc, there should be a way to update the software from time to time to make the vehicle a bit more efficient. I would expect under these circumstances very minor but noticable changes in fuel economy between different year models. Possibly this may not even make the vehicles more effiecient, ie, suppose Toyota found out that the current code allows a bit too much drian from the batteries, they could fix that problem as well.

It just seems logical that this is something Toyota could do to improve the car, and I have never read anything about this subject.

On a personal note, my 2006 Silver Package #4 with floormats should be in at the dealer on March 10th. Yippie!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There've been several flash upgrades to the software to fix minor issues.

3. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Evan is correct, however most of the 2004 MY vehicles and the 2005 MY vehicles have needed a couple of software udpates. The most recent software update was SSC 50p which, depending on the serial number and manufacturing order, needed a software update. This process requires the use of Toyota diagnostic and interface equipment, which is basically a dealer only item and access to Toyota's internal Intranet for the software updates as they become available. Nearly every aspect of the performance of this vehicle is governed by software. That means that Toyota can come in and update the car as it deems it necessary to solve issues it discovers as time progresses. So, your conclusion about the car being updateable is correct.

However the limitation to this is that the end user of the vehicle has no access to the software and has not ability to flash the system with custom updates. Toyota is in full control of the software of this vehicle and lets nobody touch it. Which is a good thing. I make the above statement because there have been numerous inquiries regarding the ability of end users to modify how the car performs, and frankly it is foolish to even encourage it, let alone condone it. Trust me, it is only logical that Toyota wants this vehciel to be the FE leaders if possible, but it will only do that if it doesn't have an impact in the reliability, longevity and performance of the vehicle.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

and some that have killed the Prius as well.

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The patches that have killed individual Prii have been ones that have been botched by the dealer. The manual associated with software updates are detailed and specific on the steps that must be taken when the vehicle is flashed. Some dealer techs don't always go through all the steps, just the major ones. A vehicle flash procedure will fail and mess up the ECUs being affected if the vehicle runs out of onboard power while doing the updates. Updates are always done with the car in IG-ON mode, not ready, and as such the vehicle is only operating on its 12v aux battery and does not have the generous power available from the HV battery.

I have only heard of a few instances of flahses failing even though the tech went by the book. In most instances Toyota corporate took the blame for havign an incompatible version of the Hand Held Tester software out there, or an ocassional ECU would not take the update for some reason. Otherwise, most other ECU flash falures are totally tech related, because they didn't do things by the book.