1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius pedestrian accident - Seattle

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, May 4, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Per request, relocated.

Bob Wilson

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The article mentioned life-threatening injuries. I hope she recovers fully.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Agreed!

This looks to be a well documented accident including the location. Needless to say, we're interested in all contributing causes. But before speculating, let's get the facts and data ... possibly even a copy of the accident report.

If you find any local source material about this accident, please include it in the thread. We need as much accurate information as possible.

Bob Wilson

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "let's get the facts and data". Hopefully that will happen but more likely it will play out like a circus with Toyota getting the short end of the deal. But with the spill, perhaps not.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another story is at the Seattle PI.

My normal sources don't mention this one, only a different story, where an elderly woman was struck and killed by a pickup backing into a parking space.

Seattle news outlets have not been hyping local Toyota accidents. There have been plenty of pedestrians hit and killed, and driver error crash stories, and few involve Toyotas. The vehicle make often goes unmentioned, and I've even spotted a Toyota logo in pictures where the story didn't mention make.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks!
    I noticed when I started searching the different news sources for "pedestrian" how many unrelated hits. Someone died in a parking lot when a pickup backed over them and others. Good grief!

Hopefully this is just a 'bad spot' and if we searched the news at other places, we could probably find similar rates. One quick sampling is not enough to draw conclusions.

Bob Wilson

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know here at Prius Chat this is given light because it's a Prius and Pedesterian accident.

But really it's a vehicle vs pedesterian accident first. I hope everyone is alright. I find some of the comments to the original article interesting. Judging from some of the commentary it seems that area has had and does have some speeding issues even before this incident.

So ultimately this just might turn out to be a very unfortunate pedesterian/vehicle accident but one that has nothing or little to do with the fact that the vehicle happens to be a Prius.

Ultimately I hope the pedesterian is alright.

I think if anyone was contending that it was a failure of "The Prius" as opposed to just an unfortunate accident you would have NHTSA and Toyota involved much as has happened recently with other high profile incidents.

Accidents can happen with Prius, just as unfortunately as with any other vehicle, and that might just be the case here. Unfortunately for Toyota, big color pictures of dented Prius Hoods with the Toyota Emblem prominently in view would be unwelcome at any time.

But for now, until and unless more information surfaces, or more controversy, I'd just file this under unfortunate accident. Nothing more, nothing less.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I found one of the web sites includes a section for comments:

Central District News | News | Bad vehicle vs. pedestrian accident at 16th & Jeff

As I read over them, the vast majority were about traffic problems of that intersection, wishes for the injured but there was one:
    So I answered with the 2000-2007 Prius accident study.

Then I added my personal thoughts:
    *Latest word the pedestrian was taken off life support and died.

Bob Wilson