1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius pick-up checklist terms question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gyudaddy, Jul 7, 2006.

1. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

Ok, I'm picking up my first new car tomorrow (06 prius option#4, red). I never thought I would get a red car, but that is what's available with option#4 and seems everyone who owns Red in PC loves them, so why not. I know once I see it I would love it.

Anyway, I downloaded the prius pick-up checklist (2004-04-30 version??), read thru but found a lot things that I don't understand. (Yeah, I don't know how to change oil by myself. :( ) Can you guys help me with some terms so that I don't have to take words of what my sales person say?

1.What are rubber plugs for in the glove box, the center storage and the cargo area?
    2. What are rear lower side spoiler parts? I looked at predeliver.pdf file but couldn't find it.
    3. Are there any parts that are supposed to be laying around?
    4. What's the plastic dam? Is it some sort of rubber material?
    5. What's the spare tire tie-down strap? probably some sort of ropes??
    6. What do you mean by 'covers about 1/2 of lower cavity' in the center console shelf/tray?
    7. What's emergency towing eyelet?
    8. What's a pad of valet cards? maybe just a booklet-type manual?
    9. Am I supposed to receive a plastic key with the oweners manual? Is the plastic like a spare key?
    10. What is Rain-X and what is that for?

Please help a prius newbie. I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

Most of this stuff won't matter. In the days this was put together the Prius was a rare bird in to many dealerships and they often didn't do everything quite right getting the car ready...and they were often rushed as well b/c we were standing in the door when the car came off the truck and not very patient to get in to drive it home!

There are several areas on the underside of the car that require those plugs be put in.

There's a black 'skirt' around the car, part of that skirt is left off and is supposed to be put on by the dealer...I don't think you'll have an issue, but if the skirt looks incomplete and there are some parts in the car that's what this is for.

Not really, maybe just the tie-down straps.

Not exactly sure what that's refering too...don't sweat it.

It's actually a tie down for the tire if you have a flat...the spare is secured under the cargo tray, but if you have a flat and change it the tie-down straps (flat woven nylon straps) secure to the metal D-rings on the floor of the Hatch to prevent the larger tire from flopping around...it won't fit in the well for the spare.

The center arm-rest is basicly hollow. There's a shallow tray that installs in there that is about 1/2 the length of the arm-rest.

There is a screw-in eyelet that goes into the front driver-side of the bumper to use for emergently dragging your car out of a ditch or snow or whatever if there are no other options.

Just looks like a little pad of paper, each page has instructions on how to start the car, put it in drive/park/etc. Not sure they even need to include those anymore with the Prius being so common now.

I think that's either dealer or region specific. Not everyone gets one...in fact I think very few people do...I didn't.
    Rain-X is a product that you put on your windshield that basicly polishes it so that water beads up and flies off when it is raining outside so you don't use your wipers. Buy it at any car parts store or wal-mart. Good product but takes some elbow grease to put on right and you have to redo it relatively often (every few months).

Hope that helps.

crap, I hate it when this happens....I have no idea why my multiple quotes aren't working right....sorry.

3. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Evan beat me to the answer but since I went out and took a picture for you, see the picture for #6 and #8.

[attachmentid=4054]

Now I am by no means a Prius expert yet, but I did take delivery of two Prii within the last month. Here's my advice for the big day. If you have a good salesman, approach your delivery by letting him give you the tour, rather than going over your checklist. Have your checklist in hand, but you'll probably find he covers 90% of your questions. You'll learn more, and he'll be more comfortable, and it'll generally be more pleasant for you. This is not to say that you should ignore the checklist, of course - especially in your state of excitement - but having the salesman tell you in person how the car works was much more valuable to us than reviewing a series of checklists.

Good luck! Have fun! Congratulations!

4. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

Thanks a lot! I'm more confident picking up my car tomorrow. I really appreciate in-depth explanations taking your time.

Thank you for the picture, Taco Mel. I didn't think about having my sales person give me a tour. A good advice!

PS How's WI? I've always liked summer in WI. I plan to drive up my in-laws' this August.

5. tacomel

tacomel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gyudaddy @ Jul 7 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]282811[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, I need to clarify that all my advice assumes that you have a competent sales person. I went in to the first purchase, armed with about 100 pages of stuff I'd printed, figuring that I was going to give the salesman a run for his money. Primarily this was because the original salesman here in Madison was totally clueless and after one night of reading PC I knew more than he did. When it came down to buying the car (not from the original salesman), I sat in the back seat while my wife did the test-drive (salesman co-pilot and instructing) and during this I ran through the checklist. For the second pick-up four days later, I just boiled it all down to the list of things on the checklist I might not check for myself and that I thought were important, and went in with a one-page checklist that I prepared for myself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gyudaddy @ Jul 7 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]282811[/snapback]</div>
    I happen to believe WI is nice year-round -- although some may disagree. Madison is a beautiful city so if your trip involves coming up I-90 take John Nolen drive into downtown, see the campus and lakes, and have a beer at the Great Dane brewpub!

6. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 7 2006, 06:30 PM) [snapback]282805[/snapback]</div>
    So if you find them sitting in the glove box, are you supposed to put them in? And if so, where?

Thanks, :)

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jul 8 2006, 06:25 AM) [snapback]282950[/snapback]</div>
    if you find them in the glove box it means your car was not properly PDI'd and I would start asking questions about what all was done during their so called PDI. ( pre-delivery inspection)

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Jul 7 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]282820[/snapback]</div>
    I had pretty much the same experience, thank God for PC. The salesman I had convinced me he knew exactly what he was talking about, salesmen are good at that, and a lot of it was just flat out wrong. For example: I was told that after I pushed the start button I had to wait for the engine to start before I could drive the car. I was also told I had to put it in the "B" mode to properly charge the battery, and a lot of other BS as well.

My advice is to read the owners manual cover to cover as soon as you have the chance and to come here with your questions.

9. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jul 8 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]282950[/snapback]</div>
    I found these rubber plugs in my center console. When I was at the dealers the next time (for the new owners orientation) I asked them what they were for. The sales manager told me he was kind of embarrassed -- they have a whole barrel full of these things and use them because it's easier. I can just throw them away.

You should probably ask, but most likely they've already installed them wherever they are supposed to go.

10. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<strike>Where is the pick up checklist?</strike>

nm. found it.

11. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 8 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]283110[/snapback]</div>
    OK, PC experts, where do the plugs go?

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jul 9 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]283297[/snapback]</div>
    they go in the frame rail just in front of the air deflector in front of the rear wheels. They plug the hold down holes in the frame that they us to tie the car down on the boat when they ship them over to NA. Without the plugs in dirt or worse, road salt, gets inside the frame.