1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug in conversion

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by merdad, May 25, 2010.

1. merdad

merdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius Plug-in conversion

Hello
    I have a G1 prius and a complete set of G2 HV battery. I was thinking to use the G2 modules to make my own plug-in. Any idea if it is possible using the G2 modules?
    They seem to last long and being small and 7.5 volts each makes them a good choice :rolleyes: but I don't know what kind of charger to use? and if they are capable of being used for the project.
    Any suggestions? :confused:

2. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Prius Plug-in conversion

Here's my thoughts, First if you use a plugin kit like "Enginer" you'd have to break apart the extra HV battery you have and reconfigure it into a 48volt battery by paralleling some modules, and then connecting them into series for a 48volt traction pack. Charging would be simple as Engineer will sell you the DC/DC Converter & Charger as separate components if you don't want the entire kit itself. Very similar to what I did when making the EV Extender/Rescue Trailer.

Not sure though if there'd be enough usuable Ah for the Engineer Converter to draw from, to keep your OEM HV battery topped off for long though.

You can see my EV Extender/Rescue trailer to give you some idea. Reconfiguring the HV pack would require you to make your own copper busbars and cell retaining enclosure, but not rocket science.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbarkley/sets/72157623523493429/"]EV Range Extender - "Range Anxiety Eliminator" and/or "EV Rescue Trailer" - a set on Flickr[/ame]

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Mike,

I was not aware of shunt regulators. I'm finding a lot of Google references especially for the LM431. Do you have a favorite link for shunt regulators in this application?

When one set of paralleled battery modules achieves a 'full charge' in a parallel-series pack, does the shunt regulator continue to operate in a partial resistance mode or do they isolate from the battery? My concern is if they don't isolate from the battery, they might dissipate heat equal to the charging current times the battery module voltage.

FYI, kudos for the trailer. My Prius is ready:
    [​IMG]

BTW, did anyone recommend the YahooGroup, "Prius Technical Stuff?" The reason is their message archives go back to November 2000 and it has a fairly extensive set of reports, photos and Prius 'gray beards.'

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

4. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was not aware of shunt regulators. I'm finding a lot of Google references especially for the LM431. Do you have a favorite link for shunt regulators in this application?

I like using the "Bat Guard" Regulators designed by a member of our EV Club out of Dallas Texas. They can handle upwards of 4 amps of charge current, and can be built to any voltage setpoint you specify.

The company he's farmed them out for manufacturer is:

AnidaTech

One might be able to obtain DIY (Solder) Kits from him, if asked. I could put you in direct contact if you want. He once mentioned on the fly the idea of DIY Kits, since they were so expensive to have manufactured.

When one set of paralleled battery modules achieves a 'full charge' in a parallel-series pack, does the shunt regulator continue to operate in a partial resistance mode or do they isolate from the battery? My concern is if they don't isolate from the battery, they might dissipate heat equal to the charging current times the battery module voltage.

They don't isolate, they do develop heat (thus energy waste). But once your pack is balanced, generally it's just a few minutes before all the regulators are active, after the first one turns on.

I'm gonna have to install a hitch, and upgrade/add a 4000watt higher voltage output converter from Enginer to the E-Trailer.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks, it is an interesting product but you've given me a clue.

That is OK, you've given me an excellent clue.

I've wanted for a long time to implement an plugin-lite system, a docking parking space for our NHW11. The voltage limited, shunt regulator solves this and possibly a couple of other problems. The stock, LM341 (or equivalent) will fully meet my requirements:

• 19 - LM341s connected across the voltage sense lines of the NHW11 traction battery.
    • Set the voltage divider network to handle 82% of the traction battery SOC.
    Every evening, I park at my Prius dock. Over night, the traction battery is charged to 8x% and stopped. Then at about 5 AM, the engine compartment heater starts, to bring the engine and transmission up a bit . . . when I signal from the house, "getting ready," it completes the compartment warm-up. Spare cycles, say 2%, are used to continue the traction battery topping. NOTE: the engine compartment warm-up does NOT have to use electricity ... we have natural gas service.

No, you have been very helpful and I'm looking at another approach to NHW11 efficiency improvement.

Thanks!
    Bob Wilson

ps. So when are these Texas hybrid gatherings scheduled? Are you'a all planing to go to Madison? Why?

6. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, That sounds like quite the setup. I'm Jealous, especially when
    10F weather returns to Texas......

Not sure how I helped, but glad to do it if ever possible!