1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug-in

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by dilly-bar, Sep 26, 2023.

1. dilly-bar

dilly-bar New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Prius Chat friends,

First post here. I love the collective love for these cars. With a recent job switch, my commute is going from 40 miles a day to ~120 miles a day. I'm definitely looking at getting a hybrid (Prius, duh) to help offset the cost of fuel.

I came a cross a 2012 Prius Prime(?) Plug In with 57k miles for ~$16k from a dealership. Are there known issues surrounding this model and year? Is this a good deal? I tried to search around on here for any general consensus on this model, but I was not able to find anything (likely my error). Thank y'all for any help!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should see if there are proper service records for this car, the mileage seems really low for the year. Many smaller dealerships are getting high mileage cars and turning back the mileage. Do you due diligence on this one before you buy it.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The major issue is poorly designed rings, which allow too much blow by and clog the egr system.
    At 60k, you may have time to alleviate it by cleaning the egr circuit, adding a catch can, testing the coolant, and doing 5k oil changes.
    But honestly, an old hybrid is more likely to cost you money than save it

Tombukt2 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have friends that have bought ioniq and the Ford Cmax . At way better prices than the Prius would have cost them and seemingly they have done pretty well I don't know anything about their batteries and how all that goes I know I like the ioniq. But I wouldn't really give Hyundai a shot for quite some time. I would like the equivalent of an ioniq 5. In about three or four years give them time to do whatever these folks do. My buddy with the CMAX the Ford thing really likes that of course he's not owned Toyotas so on and so forth but he also didn't pay anything for the C-MAX nothing like what the Priuses are selling for at all and it's a goofy little car but nobody cares anymore It's not like you're driving a second generation Prius in 2004.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could be a cream puff.

Our ‘10 is about the the same miles (98k kms), no mechanical issues.

It has abysmal service record too; apart from an AC service I’ve done everything. Kept records, but that’s not on CarFax.

The oil burning issues don’t seem to surface till over 100k.

Do look into EGR cleaning (see my signature; on phone you need to hold it landscape to see signature). My 2 cents: it will carbon-clog quite reliably, and doesn’t need oil consumption to start doing that.

The main thing would be to see and test drive it, look it over, ask questions.