1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius plug-in

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, Aug 6, 2007.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The attached photo was published in today's paper. The article was really about the upcoming Chevy Volt, which will supposedly outperform the plug-in Prius because it'll run twice as long using electric power only.[attachmentid=10429]

Attached Files:

2. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

<_< Plug-in.... fine idea... for people who can plug in..... Not people who park on the street, park in condominium or appartment garages, people who simply don't have a way to plug-in. Also, there is the thing Prius owners know and many non-Prius drivers don't know..... Owning a Prius is no different than owning a regular car. You drive it, put fuel in it, you drive it. Simple. It sips fuel, it works great, it's comfortable and we don't have to carry a 50ft extension cable in the trunk. It's a car like any other, just uses half the fuel that guy in the other lane uses.

Drive safe, enjoy the drive. - Nda3rdcar B)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Aug 6 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]491661[/snapback]</div>
    And with a plug-in hybrid you can drive it just like you do your current Prius if you can't plug it in. But once you have it you might have the ability to solicit your work for a place to plug-in, your apartment complex or condo to support you and your efforts at being 'green'. If you park on the street perhaps you can have a lockable outlet installed by the electric company to allow you to plug in.

The beauty of a plug-in hybrid is that it is an EV when you can plug it in and it's a regular hybrid when you can't...best of both worlds.

4. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This article ran a couple of weeks ago in The Press of Atlantic City, click the link to view the photo they included.

Toyota develops plug-in hybrid car

TOKYO (AP) Toyota Motor Corp. said Wednesday it has developed a plug-in hybrid vehicle for public road tests in Japan and plans tests for the United States and Europe.

Other major automakers, including General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co., are developing plug-in hybrids, a key technology that reduces the gases causing global warming.

Plug-in hybrids, including Toyota's, generally have batteries that power an electric motor, with an internal combustion engine for use when the batteries run low. The batteries can be recharged by plugging them into a standard wall outlet.

The plug-ins run longer on electricity, especially for shorter distances, than the more common hybrids on the roads such as Toyota's Prius.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/busines...-13039074c.html

5. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Aug 6 2007, 07:20 PM) [snapback]491653[/snapback]</div>
    The Volt might outperform a Prius, but you'll have to wait four years to find out. Meanwhile, we can save lots of gasoline by using our Priuses!

And who knows where Toyota will be in four years?

6. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Aug 7 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]492060[/snapback]</div>
    Rick,

Currently, the PRIUS is out performing the Volt because which one is on the road for us to buy right now?

I think a car that can run of safe cold nuclear FUSION with all the safety features and conveniences would out perform a VOLT and PRIUS, but again none have been produced for use to buy. This is like trying to get a Li Ion battery into a production PRIUS. We are going to have to wait eh?

I agree with you, use the PRIUS now. Enjoy the drive.

"IF" the Volt comes out, then let's do a head to head comparison. I am not going to hold my breath since gas prices are falling again.

I have put my deposit down for a 2009 PRIUS, has anyone else? Hope it has a hack to allow a plug in. Hint…Hint to the designers. I'm ok with voiding my warranty because the PRIUS has not let me down yet.

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hard_working_student @ Aug 7 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]492072[/snapback]</div>
    Not wise... my Prius had the front axle replaced at 46,000 miles and it was covered by the 50,000 warranty. B)

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Aug 7 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]492096[/snapback]</div>
    axle shaft or PSD unit?

9. vuapplepudding

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Aug 7 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]492096[/snapback]</div>
    Is it wise to drive on the streets because there is a possibility of an automobile accident? When I buy my next house I will tell them not to pour a concrete drive way or side walk since I will not leave the house.

Heck to think about it…is it wise to drive 75+ mph with 10 gallons of combustible fuel strapped to the bottom of your vehicle? Why are all those people on the highways doing such a risky thing? That is why I drive with only 2 gallons in the PRIUS fuel bladder (sarcasm). Less fire if I have an accident. To think about it, I should have installed the NASCAR fire suppression system (more sarcasm) . The good old fire extinguisher will have to do.

Life is about making educated decisions by balancing the benefits and the risks. If I didn't believe that my PRIUS was built with quality, I would not have bought it. Now if I wanted a car with ZERO defects, I would have never bought a car.

If making any changes on your PRIUS is too risky for you, then don’t do it.
    It is your choice and applaud you for that, but I do not consider it an unwise decision.
    I do not place wisdom judgment on decisions you make on your own vehicle.
    PLEASE do not place wisdom judgment on decisions I make on my own vehicle.

I'll take your advice and your words of caution, but please reserve the wisdom judgments for my parents, my wife, and the Lord Almighty.

Instead of buying the extended warranty ($1,400+), I might invest in myself and get an official PRIUS shop manual and teach myself how to fix the PRIUS if and when it fails. Along the way, I might even figure out more hacks and mods I can perform.

I'll let you know how things go in 12 months when I put another 24,000 miles on my PRIUS.

No complaints from me so far with 24,000 miles in less than 11 months.

I do most of my car maintenance anyway. Any repairs I have to make will just motivate me to install the block heater and other goodies while I am down there.

10. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hard_working_student @ Aug 7 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]492072[/snapback]</div>
    100% agree. So far, the Volt is just FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt), designed to make the American manufacturers look responsible. So are all the alternative-fuel SUVs: they'll burn some other liquid just as fast---or faster---than gasoline.

"But you see, we look like we're doing something!"

11. vuapplepudding

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Aug 8 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]492519[/snapback]</div>
    Rick,

I just changed jobs recently and now I do not even have to drive my PRIUS to work anymore. I take my bicycle or walk. It is less than 1/4 mile. So by doing nothing (no driving), I actually am doing something positive for my own health. Too bad I have to still drive 120 miles each day to go to school for another 2 years.

Plus, not driving my PRIUS gives people less chances to door ding my precious PRIUS.

If you are waiting for the PHEV, you might want to think about looking in the Hymotion battery range extender (BREW?) that will be soon comming out that will allow you to make the PRIUS a plug in. I am on the waiting list. Either I get a 2009 PRIUS as a plug in or I am going to convert my 2006 into a plug in.

I am actually trying to see what it will take to become a certified installer. I am in the midwest, so I kinda figure if someone is doing a cross country trip and wants to stop by for a few hours, they can have themselves a PHEV in a matter of hours. Sit back, walk the dog, watch a free movie and a meal on the house, and presto you have a PHEV. Not likely to happen, so that is why I still have a day job.

Cheers!

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I saw this in USA today a couple weeks ago. Pretty cool.

13. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Aug 6 2007, 07:53 PM) [snapback]491661[/snapback]</div>
    If I lived in an apartment or condo complex, or parked on the street, and I had a 30 mile commute where I could get 80 MPG instead of 50 MPG, I would find a way to plug in the Prius. If I had to, I would run a 50 foot extention cord out of my apartment somewhere. If you own the property and park out on the street, you could easily install a receptacle out by the curb with direct burial cable and GFCI protection with a switch in the house to turn if off to prevent electricity pilphering. I don't think theft of electricity is a huge problem, but I guess it could be at a large appartment complex. Fortunately, survailance cameras are getting alot cheaper.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Aug 6 2007, 07:53 PM) [snapback]491661[/snapback]</div>
    If I lived in an apartment or condo complex, or parked on the street, and I had a 30 mile commute where I could get 80 MPG instead of 50 MPG, I would find a way to plug in the Prius. If I had to, I would run a 50 foot extention cord out of my apartment somewhere. If you own the property and park out on the street, you could easily install a receptacle out by the curb with direct burial cable and GFCI protection with a switch in the house to turn if off to prevent electricity pilphering. I don't think theft of electricity is a huge problem, but I guess it could be at a large appartment complex. Fortunately, survailance cameras are getting alot cheaper.