1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius practicality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by COLN, Jul 3, 2004.

1. COLN

COLN New Member

we are considering the purchase of the Prius. However we live where roads get snowy, icy, etc. Is the Prius a practical car for these conditions. Our Subaru does fine all year round but Subaru doesn't make a hybrid.

2. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my Prius up in Colorado, and Canada during the winter. I've had zero issues with driveability in winter driving conditions. Additionally, the protections built into the vehicles systems to protect the drivetrain acts as a traction control system as a side effect. I've witnessed this effect, and it works great.

3. jchu

jchu New Member

Wolfman,

Is this with or without VSC. and with dedicated snow tires or all-weather tires. Currently, riding on the '04 OEM Goodyear Integras.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Bought a 2k3 Prius in central Canada and drove it to the west coast in March no problem, wife has a 2k4 with traction control and I had to go up a hill 11% grade for almost a mile with 4 inches of slush and the traction control worked just great, I passed a lot of vehicles on the hill that day that weren't going anywhere. We had her 2k1 Prius on several gravel roads in central Canada last year on holidays and no problems. I think it is a perfectly capabile car under most circumstances. They are used all over the world and if there were major issues we'd have heard by now.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is a 2003, and did not have VSC as an option. I'm riding on the stock rubber.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I drive a 2004 with VSC and the OEM tires. I cannot speak about snow because I do not go out before the roads are plowed, but on ice the Prius is fantastic. The ABS, VSC, and traction control make for a car that handles great in slippery conditions.

The Prius is low enough to the ground that I would not want to drive it in deep snow. But I used to drive a Jeep, many years ago, and I got stuck in the Jeep far more often than in the Civic I traded it in for. A car that's "supposed" to go through "anything" will disappoint you more often than one that's not.

7. priuspilot

priuspilot New Member

As good as any other front wheel drive car I have owned. Meaning, except for mud season (where any car is doomed), it is awesome. Great in the snow.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    umm ok... i admit since i got my car after the minimal winter experienced here in the Pac Northwest, i took my car out on the grass and was amazed at the control exhibited in an area where i should have been able to do all kinds of donuts and stuff.

i talked with an insurance agent recently who was privy to a new report on the VSC in the Prius and she said the report was practically glowing over admiration on how well it tested.

look for major changes in insurance rates to cars equipped with VSC.