1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prankster?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ServoScanMan, Apr 1, 2007.

1. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anyone know if another keyfob can open the doors on a Prius? Lately, when I leave work and unlock my car in the factory parking lot, I have been noticing my map light on or my glasses compartment open. :eek: I'm beginning to think someone is 'messing' with me but know one at work is talking. I still have the only Prius at work. So I'm wondering if another Toyota will unlock my car? Any thoughts? :unsure:

2. iaowings

iaowings New Member

It’s the ghost in the machine. :eek: :unsure: :blink: :lol:

Sorry I couldn’t resist but I am no help sorry.
    But I seriously doubt its another key fob.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Very, very unlikely that another fob could unlock your car. Who has your other fob? Other than that, how is your memory? Hearing any voices these days? :D

Tom

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check to see if your other fob is missing. Might be your friends/co-workers playing a prank.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Or check to see that you are, indeed, locking your door.

6. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 1 2007, 05:27 PM) [snapback]416187[/snapback]</div>
    x2

7. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

If someone's messing with you at work, they would probably use your fob. Easy enough if you don't carry it on you all the time.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's easy to accidentally hit the map light when tapping the sunglasses holder open or closed.

And it's easy for the sunglasses holder to not quite lock and fall down.

I've done both.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If someone wanted to pull an elaborate prank, they could have “borrowed†your Prius keys while you weren't looking, then programed your Prius to accept a Prius key fob they purchased off of Ebay. :unsure:
    Did you loan your Prius to anyone? That too would give them the needed time . . .

Me personally, rather than leave a map light on or glove box open, I'd be pressing the panic button at the most inappropriate times - for you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then, later on, I'd graduate to reprogramming the preset radio stations, leaving the volume on full blast, clicking on the windshield wipers, screwing with the clock, and setting the heat and air to the most inappropriate settings for the current season, etc, etc. :p :lol:

[Hey – after all, high school wasn't all THAT long ago. ;)
    I tortured my best friend all through our senior year, only because he made the fatal mistake of letting me drive his car on a group camping trip the summer before . . . because he wanted to drive his girlfriend's convertible. I made a copy of his keys when I “made a wrong turn.†The poor sucker ended up thinking his car was possessed. :blink: :unsure: The preset religious stations on full blast were a nice touch. :p

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ;) Quoting PriusEnvy "...then programed your Prius to accept a Prius key fob they purchased off of Ebay...."

Can't be done by an individual. Only a Dealer with the appropriate Toyota Scan Tool can program a fob to match an individual Prius. Really sounds like an employee is getting YOUR fob to play the prank, or you just forget to secure the Prius completely. Perhaps a co-worker has discovered that you can unlock your Prius from a distance simply by pressing the "unlock" button on your fob. I have found that to work up to ~50'

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If a co-worker takes the mechanical key from the fob, they can have that duplicated, and return it to the fob. I've been told the mechanical key can be duplicated anywhere. If you're used to using the electronic remote to lock and unlock, or the SKS - would you notice if your mechanical was missing for an hour or so or overnight?

12. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 2 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]416460[/snapback]</div>

With the right equipment Ie computer and what not and time someone could program a key but to play a prank I think not. I am talking high-end car thieves and these guys would be going after 100k+ cars not some prius. And even then it is extremely extremely extremely unlikely.

13. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for all the replies. I didn't realize until today that I posted this on April Fools Day. I'll start double checking that I am locking the car. I normally get out and hit the lock button on the FOB and watch the lights blink. I'll also check to see if the door is locked before I leave the area. My other key FOB is still at home. My key FOB stays in my locker at work unless.... someone knows the combo to my lock on my locker. Now you have me thinking. <_<

Thanks guys!

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 2 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]416460[/snapback]</div>
    The jury is still out on that . . .
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-2007-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

Apparently the SKS part may need the scan tool . . .
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=331619
    . . . but that only means the prankster would have to push the buttons on the key fob to enter the car, and then insert it into the key slot to mess with anything more than knobs, map lights, glove boxes, etc.

I agree, a coworker borrowing the keys on a short term basis is more plausible . . . or maybe it was just a case where ServoScanMan's S.O. visited the car at his work, turned on the map light to see into the glove box, forgot to turn the light off and close the glove box, AND forget to tell him about the visit.

. . . or maybe his car is possessed! :eek:

ServoScanMan, any religious stations showing up on the presets which you didn't place there yourself? :lol: