1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Premium

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AussieOwner, Aug 21, 2007.

1. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am heading to the States next month and need to rent cars almost every stop across the country. Thought that I would take to opportunity to rent a Prius, just to compare the US model with mine.

So I pulled up my regular rental car operator - Avis - and plugged in my dates for Los Angeles, and got the following options:

Intermediate - Pontiac G6 or similar - 197.97
    Prius - 179.52

Hey! this looks good :)

I was just looking at what was available around the country, so then flipped back and chose Chicago, which is my next stop - no Prius, and none on the East coast.

OK, lets go book the car. Noticed that one of the questions was country of residence, so changed this to Australia, and then got the following options:

Intermediate - now 209.97
    Prius - now 287.82 :huh:

Not so good. Then I found that Avis is offering a deal for International visitors for the second half of September - which is when I will be visiting, so give it a go.

Now the rates are:

Intermediate - now 209.61 (0.36 discount - big deal)
    Prius - now 317.97 :eek: :eek:

Looks like Avis is trying to keep all their Prii just for the US drivers - because there is no way that I am going to pay that amount of premium. In LA, I just will not be doing the mileage to justify the additional costs, and with no Prii available at any of my other stops, it looks like I am stuck with some GM pos every time. :( :(

I did do a little searching for others, but only Hertz seemed to have Prii, and they were all booked.

2. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

Hmm, that's mind boggling.

Did you try Enterprise, Budget Rent A Car, Alamo and Thrifty? Just throwing out names of car rental places that might be able to provide a Prius for cheaper. Not even sure if they have a Prius tho.

Seems like a ripoff to me. Not to mention the prices are higher even with the "deal" they provide.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's probably the fear of you stealthing down the wrong side of the road, mowing down unsuspecting pedestrians. :rolleyes:

Tom

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think it's a simple matter of supply vs demand. There aren't a whole lot of Prii for rent (compared to the other cars). Also, Avis and Hertz are the only two major car rental companies I know that have "announced" their intention to add hybrids to their lineup. It may take a while for them to get enough units in to spread around. Obviously Southern Cal is a huge market and gets more of them first. I'm sure the rest of the country will follow. In time...

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    'Supply and demand' doesn't seem to address the question of the rates being so much higher for a 'foreigner' in a Prius. The Pontiac is about $10 more, but the Prius is nearly $140 more. Why, Avis?

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are Prii available from other rentals besides Avis. I'd try one of those eco car rental places.

7. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 21 2007, 10:49 PM) [snapback]499680[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had already looked at Alamo, Enterprise and Thrifty - don't have any Prii. Just looked at Budget - they have a Prius, but it is even more expensive than Avis - 342.39 :eek:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 22 2007, 01:54 AM) [snapback]499765[/snapback]</div>
    Can anyone suggest a few names? I have tried EV Rentals, but just cannot get a price from their web site.

8. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could not find a Prius to rent, so ended up booking a compact at Avis.

So got to LAX, over to Avis and.... - er, sorry sir, but we do not have any compacts available, do you mind taking a Toyota Prius. :D :D :D

And before anyone complains that a Prius is not a compact, I know that, you know that, but if the rental people are happy to give me a Prius instead of a compact, why should I complain.

So I can now see what all of you who complain about the driver's seat are talking about. It feels like it is just the standard passenger seat that I have on my (right hand drive) car. I have sat in my passenger seat a couple of times while supervising my Learner driver daughter, so I do have a feel for it - and it does not feel any different to the driving seat on this rental.

It certainly makes me feel happy that the right hand drive cars do have at least height adjustment for the driver.

Also had the joy of peeling off the 101 at Calabasas right behind what looked like a new grey Prius. Managed to pull up next to the car at the next set of lights and gave the driver a big grin and a thumbs up. Got a grin back.

So, Avis, all is now forgiven.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So. What did it end up costing you compared to the quotes you were getting?

10. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 16 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]513388[/snapback]</div>
    I think when THEY change the car on you (i.e. run out of what you ordered), they honor the rate that you were quoted for the car you originally wanted.

11. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

I rented one from Hertz, because that was the only place I could rent one at the time and it was $80/day as opposed to $45 for comparable cars, which weren't hybrid. Rip off, but I had to take it as I wanted a week long test drive before I bought mine. The Toyota dealership here only rents if you have full coverage insurance, and I don't so I had to go with Hertz.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Supply and demand. If people stop renting Prius at the higher price they will drop the price. It's the market economy you are all so proud of, at work. After all they are a business who need to do the best by their share holders.

How does the rental price compare with the price?

Basic Prius $20,950 MSRP
    Pontiac Vibe $17,345 MSRP
    Yet both cars have similar rental pricing at Avis, the Vibe is $4.00 more to rent!!

Good luck getting a Prius to drive, you shouldn't have to settle for second best.

13. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 16 2007, 07:16 PM) [snapback]513435[/snapback]</div>
    As opposed to the communist ran economy in Australia? Last time I checked, Australia also has a free market economy.

Yet another brilliant post from PatSparks!

14. covelo

covelo New Member

Be sure to check Fox Car Rental (http://www.foxrentacar.com or http://www.evrental.com/). I use them in Los Angeles and San Diego all the time and their Prius are not much more expensive than regular cars from Avis or Budget. Most of them have carpool stickers, which makes a huge difference if you're driving around by yourself for work. This is how I discovered the Prius before I bought one.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got home from a quick family trip to Denver. I waited over a month for them to show the Prius or Camry Hybrid on the web site to reserve, but alas 2 weeks before the trip they had no hybrids at all...the Ford Fusion was the 'greenest' car they had so that's what I got.

When we arrived at the Hertz pick-up area there were no less than 4 Prii on the lot...at least 2 of which did not appear to be reserved. Were they hiding them, is there a secret code? Just kinda frustrating being in the Fusion when I could have had a real car.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 17 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]513441[/snapback]</div>
    You have a real problem PriusOwner004, grow up. I wasn't putting crap on the system but on the way the American media carry on about it and seem to think they have an exclusive system, and a monopoly on democracy. You seem to be one of the enlightened ones like most Prius owners.
    You can't have it both ways, you can’t espouse the benefits of a free market system on one hand and shout rip off when it functions normally.

I'm still waiting on those pedestrian safety stats from you for the H1.

17. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

How funny! The day I read this, I turn on the TV and they are talking about the exact same thing! The rental companies came up with the excuse that because the hybrids are in high demand, they have to pay a lot more than MSRP to buy the cars, so that's why the rental rates are higher, in accordance with the price they have paid for them. True or not, that's what they said officially on TV.

18. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 17 2007, 07:17 AM) [snapback]513388[/snapback]</div>
    Got the car for the compact price - just a mere $154 for the two days. :)

Handed the car back and headed for Chicago.

....And back down to earth. :( We have a Ford Focus - do you want a Hyundai Elantra and get a better car??

Actually, would like a Prius. Sorry, they are a west coast special. Would not have them over here.

I took the Ford.

I have to say though, in LA, Prii everywhere. Now I have driven from Chicago to Indianapolis and have not seen a single Prius. Just the perfect territory for hypermilling, and not one to be seen. May get lucky on my way back.

19. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Further update.

Next stop on my US trip - a PT Cruiser - yuck!!!!! felt like I was driving a truck and felt I looked silly - especially with the off-white colour of the car.

Last stop and from the sublime to the ridiculous :huh:

Picked up my next car in White Plains - sorry, no compacts, we are giving you a Chevy Blazer :( Anything else available? Nope - just the Blazer. You really have to question why Avis even bother to ask you for you preferred type of car, although at least I am only paying the compact rate for the hire (forget the fuel bill).

Then, as I am rolling down the I-95 towards JFK Airport, I get tailgated by a Prius. At first I thought "What the hell!!", then realised that all the driver was doing was improving his FE. After all, those Blazers create a huge envelope to slipstream in :)

Now I am in London, and still have two weeks before I see my Prius. :(

20. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(covelo @ Sep 17 2007, 12:19 AM) [snapback]513553[/snapback]</div>
    I'll second the vote for Fox Car Rental. I've rented a Honda Civic Hybrid from them on two different occasions, once from LAX and once from San Francisco. I believe it was $40 per day or the same as a Pontiac Bonneville.

If I were you I would rent the Civic Hybrid and see how the Honda system compares to the Toyota system. If you rent a Prius in the US I believe you will be disappointed to find that it is just like your Prius back home. (I got 45mpg in LA and 50 mpg in San Fran with the Honda)