1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Press-Kits

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, May 5, 2006.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Countless times Prius owners have complained after reading poorly written hybrid articles. That hasn't changed much over the years. Many reporters still rush out an article based on minimal research to exploit a hot topic, something guaranteed to draw interest for their publication. And it works every time. That's very frustrating, especially knowing how quickly they write them and how narrow the focus is.

Because of my website, I routinely get emails requesting article information and sometimes even an interview. Most of the time I decline due to their need to finish "within 48 hours" or "before Friday" and the fact that I've been disenchanted after having learned just how much of a difference there actually is between a 2-bit reporter and journalist.

But rather than continuing to be reactive by complaining, I started to search for a way to be proactive instead. It didn't take long to find a solution. In fact, I feel kind of dumb for not having done this sooner... since I witnessed it almost 4 years ago. We got mobbed by the media at each city we stopped at throughout the Hybrid Road Rally. Our leader had already prepared press-kits for them. Those quick & easy packets of information helped to bring a little order to the rather chaotic excitement, it also helped to ensure they had a decent way of understanding the situation before we raced off to the next rally city. So that's what I'll do too. After all, there were 12,369 downloads of the HSD User-Guide last month. So a press-kit is something many Prius newbies would likely be interested in as well. It could serve as a very effective tool for providing a hybrid overview.

Needless to say, I am seeking suggestions.

What information would like to point out to help improve the quality of hybrid articles?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this is a great idea John. Kudos to you for going to the effort.
    It might help to see what you've come up with already.

Off the top of my head:
    1)A Myths/Facts section--"can't recover cost/hybrid premium", "battery expensive to replace", "extra maintenance required", etc.

2)I think covering the 'real' reasons people buy hybrids in some fashion would be good as well. IOW, I didn't buy my Prius to save "money", I bought it to save "gas"...maybe some hard numbers of how many gallons of gas are saved over a "comparable" car over 5 years and how much reduction in emissions--something that can be easily quantified and reported neatly on a graph and easily regurgitated to the public. Also emphesis the support of new and superior technology that can 'lead us into the future' with emphesis on the wastefulness and inefficiency of the outdated traditional ICE vehicles.

3)Although it might be a little difficult to translate into an easily digestible description I'm always frustrated with the way the press describes that the battery is used to 'get the car going' and that they seem to think the ICE is only ever off when the car is stopped. I think some sort of explaination that in city driving conditions at speeds below 42mph the ICE runs only ~30% of the time to charge the battery and provide additional power when needed...that'll need some work, but I think you know what I mean. Explaining that the car can run with not gas being burned for extended periods even over 42mph.

4)Maybe under the myths/facts, but there is a common misconception that the Prius isn't as efficient at highway speeds. I think a better explaination that b/c of the Atkinson cycle ICE that it's actually more efficient at cruise speeds with less wasted energy at cruising/highway speeds....maybe even give some number for well-to-wheel efficiency comparisons of Otto vs Atkinson at 55mph.

5)I have no idea how to word it, but some sort of explaination of how much of an impact break-in and driver experience/practice makes in improving FE. You could submit your FE records as an example I guess. I suggest this b/c of the very low "real world" numbers that almost all auto magazines seem to arrive at.

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff now that you've planted the seed, but I hope that gives you a start.

3. gracetaylor

gracetaylor New Member

You might want to consider addressing this in the myth section. I had a friend try to talk me out of getting a Prius by saying that it really did nothing to help the environment because the delta is to small between the Prius and whatever other car the Prius owner WOULD have bought if not the Prius. He said not enough people would go from a large car/SUV to the hybrid. The hybrid divers would have been in a tiny Corolla or the like. As a result, hybrids make no difference. I personally would have gone with the Lexus if not the Prius, so I knew that would make a difference for my contribution. Also, I don't want "the man" to get any more of my money than humanly possible...tax credit takes care of Uncle Sam and fuel efficiency takes care of another one.

4. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

Lately, I've found that pointing out that with the federal tax credit, a base model Prius is pretty much equal in price to a base model Toyota Camry (the best selling car in the US for the past 4 years) really opens people's eyes. As we know, however, the Prius has some pretty neat features even on its base model. It's just a really easy way to point out that no, hybrids don't have to be "so much more expensive than regular cars."

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen a couple of "debunking hybrid myths" efforts start up here
    and there. I point to some of them in my big ol' linkfarm, and
    there are probably several others. Some effort to pull together
    the major points from those and our own knowledge into one high-
    visibility go-to site/page/whatever would probably be useful, and
    pointing to that with a single, simple URL [but please, no unreliable
    third-party "services" like tinyurl or makeashorterlink] that can be
    handed out on cards/flyers may go quite a way toward awareness. The
    top three myths could be on the handouts, say, in a fast Q&A format.
    That would probably be the "premium" cost, the battery life, and
    whatever other frequent "objections" that are raised.
    _H*

6. unruhly

unruhly New Member

I've noticed of late that people do not take the time to read literature. It's the quick fix mentality.

The use of charts, graphs, and graphic comparisons along with a short FAQ/debunk section would be about all you'd be able to get a press person to digest before they lost focus.
    I think the idea is to culminate their curiosity so they want to learn more, not to deluge them with information.
    If they are truly interested in obtaining more info they will seek it.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The purpose of a press-kit is to provide a quick, complete, self-contained resource. No further research is required, though they could use it as an idea-list for in-depth reports. After all, many of us are sick of the same old MPG/cost articles. This will help prevent that. All they need will be right there and very to-the-point.

They really like that. This method of information sharing is a common practice among other topics of interest, why not hybrids too? So the task now is to figure out how to boil down a mountain of information into just a simple one-pager. Think of it as an Info-Sheet for reporters.

8. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ May 5 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]250246[/snapback]</div>
    Some info I would like to see would be average lbs smog/tank (broken down by type: NOx, SOx, CO2, Particulate Matter), lbs smog/mile (similarly broken down), given that all smog-control devices are working properly, for the Prius, a gasoline-only vehicle of similar weight, a 'dino' diesel vehicle of similar weight, and a biodiesel vehicle of similar weight. Over many different trips, so N would have to be included, too...

9. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi John,

I've been lurking around here for a while and one of things that I've noticed is how happy owners of Prii are. Another thing that strikes me as encouraging is that Prius drivers, at least partly because the car requires some effort on the part of the driver to operate at peak efficiency, tend to operate their vehicles more safely than others. Hybrid Synergy Drive indeed!

Hell, I've been a happier person just knowing that I have one on order...

I hope there's a way to put in the Press Kit that a Prius is a not only responsible choice for a car, but is also fun to drive.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since this is a Prius Press kit I'd start with some sort of introductory statement.

"The Toyota Prius is the most popular Hybrid vehicle sold in world with approximately XXXXXX units sold world wide and XXXXXX in the US alone. It is a mid-size car with capacity comparable to that of the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, & XXXX. It is EPA rated for 51/60/55mpg, nearly twice that of it's comparable mid-size competators, yet is priced nearly identically to all those vehicles......"

Yet it's greatest feature might be the one we don't see. This car has the lowest emissions rating of any gas propelled vehicle available.

As you say, it's a work in progress, but I think an introduction of what you're "selling" is important. You can define terms later...in fact I think I'd do that last of all.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, there will be indeed be a cover-sheet of some kind.

It will heavily utilize white-space, allowing for quite a bit of flexibility to provide whatever introduction we see fit. That should rather handy, because I expect that particular content to change rather frequently due to certain automakers having trouble and the wild oil/gas prices.

13. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ May 6 2006, 12:49 AM) [snapback]250687[/snapback]</div>
    After reading the draft, I suggest the following:

Since this is a "Press Kit" as opposed to a "Press Release", there's no need to squeeze everything onto a single page. It's more important that the information is accurate, pertinent and presented in an easy to understand and digest manner. Reporters will be happy to have a press kit that 4-6 pages long if the information is truly helpful.

The first page or two should focus specifically on the Prius. What is it, what is it designed to do, what makes it unique? How does the hybrid system reduce fuel consumption, greenhouse gases, and smog emissions? What does it cost to buy? You might briefly compare the msrp and main features of a package 4 to a package 8. What does the name mean? Are there truly cirmcumstances where the air coming out of the exhaust pipe will cleaner than the air going in?

I suggest the next pages address some of the controversies and mythologies. What car is it best compared to? How does it compare in size, passenger room, cargo space, utility and cost to the Corolla, to the Camry? How do its EPA mileage and emissions scores compare to those cars? How do its standard comfort, convenience, and safety features compare with those cars? Is there perhaps a better Toyota to compare it to? Any notable standard features or options that is shares with the Lexus brand? How much is the hybrid premium? How much are the tax breaks and how do they work? Are Prius sales falling? Does it really take months to get one? And, as already mentioned: Saving fuel or saving money?

You might conclude with the background information on various types of hybrids and a description of how the Hybrid Synergy Drive works.

I strongly encourage weblinks or footnotes to substantiate the facts in the press kit.

Thank you for your willingness to do this.

14. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Under either FAQ section or Myth section (or both?) add a paragraph about fire departments and EMTs responding to a "hybird accident" and the "danger" from the HV battery. Orange power lines, cut out relays, etc.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've got a few more sections carved out now. These are based on my 6 years of Prius experience, the over 1100 pages of blogs I've written, and feedback from prior to starting this particular effort (which helped revealed the need for this). Provide comments & suggestions whenever you want. They will all be considered as the document evolves. For now, I'm focusing on just dumping the hot items already outlined. I'm certain others will shake out over time.

Since some people like getting to read a work in progress, I'm happy to provide draft pieces as they become available. These are the sections available as of this posting:

Hybrid Types
    Hybrid Configurations
    Emission Ratings
    Full Hybrid – City Operation
    Full Hybrid – Suburb Operation
    Full Hybrid – Highway Operation
    Remembering the Past
    Cost Analysis – MPG
    Cost Analysis – Emissions

http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-presskit.htm

16. j24816

j24816 New Member

Outstanding work. For what it is worth, my 2 cents.

First page or two should be written as an actual article that the "journalist" could use verbatim or with minor changes, likely quotes from locals.

Use quotes to communicate points.....'Joe and Suzy Middleamerica, from anywhereexceptcalifornia love their prius: "We bought the car for the gas milage, but it is really fun to drive and we love the cargo space! And our 2.3 children think its cool!". OK, I know you are writing about the hybrid system, but please make the car human!

Regarding cost analysis, point out that the Prius is about the only car that people expect a rate of return on...When is the last time you saw a cost analysis on the Hummer rate of return (Frankly I don't put up with any questions along these lines...I bought the car because I like it, and the gas milage and environmental impact are two of the things I like.)

Include references where a real journalist could get additional information for each section.

The highway driving section is a little heavy on jargon ("Most “full†hybrids utilize an Atkinson-Miller pumping cycle, rather than Otto.") and is somewhat more difficult to read than the other sections.

Pictures, graphs, drawings help.

Again, great job....looking forward to seeing the final product!

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a little unsure about the exact target audience for this, but
    the draft to date seems almost like it's trying to be a bit more of
    an education than they might be looking for. If this is specifically
    about the prius, does going into all the hybrid types and all the
    emissions ratings help draw the picture?
    There's an *astounding* amount of confusion about regenerative
    braking vs. brakes out there in the real world, and anything to
    clarify that is great. People do have to realize its limits, too,
    i.e. when they drive in their usual gotta-get-there-first american
    style a lot of the benefit can be lost. Sure, developers are working
    on better systems to absorb energy faster but it may never be on
    par with panic-stopping all four wheels [modulo ABS].
    Engine RPM does *not* remain constant -- it varies depending on
    *power* demand, but the difference is that when power demand is
    low [when traditional engine setups would run inefficiently], the
    full hybrid tends to shut it down. In the Prius in particular,
    and this probably gets into too much techie detail for such a
    document, engine control generally tries to stay in a high *torque*
    mode [open throttle]. But that's not always true, so even a Prius
    can run inefficiently at times.
    "normal for a Prius own to notice" should be "... Prius owner ..."
    The little charge/discharge swings during highway travel are pretty
    insignificant, and possibly not worth mentioning... but pointing
    out how the [smaller] engine and motors combine forces when needed
    is definitely an important part.
    Sorry if this sounds sort of abruptly critical... I applaud the
    effort and I probably don't completely understand who's going to
    be reading this and how much the document needs to break through
    a certain level of Not Caring and really grab a non-techie's
    attention...
    _H*

18. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There's wonderful information in the draft, but I feel the presentation needs to be more effective.

I suggest organizing the press-kit with different publications and the different interests of their audiences in mind.

The first few pages should perhaps be written to appeal to the readers of "USA Today". The introduction, a brief discussion of the interplay between the gasoline engine and electric motor, and cost analysis information could go here.

The next page or two could be written to address the interests of readers "E/The Environmental Magazine". A good place for the emissions information and to note that there's also a monetary value to cleaner air.

Then a few pages could be written to appeal to the readers of "AutoWeek". Information about hybrid types, the detailed workings of Hybrid Synergy Drive, and bogus comparisons to diesel powered bicycles would here.

The idea about quotes from j24816 is excellent. However, responsible reporters will want to verify the quotes, so anyone quoted should be willing to be contacted by phone or e-mail.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 7 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]251040[/snapback]</div>
    Once you read the third page I just finished composing and the fourth I'm working on now, you'll understand.

I'm tired of some of the press not taking journalism seriously. They are not going to get spoon fed from this. Instead, they get an educational document. Perhaps we'll end up renaming it once everyone gets an opportunity to read the whole thing.

And no, this is absolutely not about Prius only. Neither is my website, yet some are still under the impression that it is. In reality, my purpose has always been to promote "full" hybrids. Prius just happens to be king of that mountian. But sadly, in time Prius will likely be outnumbered by Camry & Sienna type hybrids. Oh well. They will still all use a "full" hybrid system, which is the point anyway.

This feedback from you and the others is fantastic! Keep it up. I'll let the document content formulate into a clearer purpose on it's own. It's the reality that we don't have a resource of this nature that's driving the effort. Finding a unique collection of information like this is pretty sweet. Of course, I wish the need would have revealed itself sooner. Oh well.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The downloadable document has been updated. The following new sections have been added:

Cost Analysis – Vehicle Class
    Cost Analysis – Safety
    Cost Analysis – Sound
    Cost Analysis – Feel
    Cost Analysis – Long-Term Considerations

I've also tweaked some text in the original sections. Comments about the myths are next.
    http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-presskit.htm