1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius pricing increase

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Dianne, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Gang, read this entire post start to finish. I know someone's gonna go off half-cocked if I do not insist that it be read completely. Then, being half-cocked is a personal problem, LOL!

Toyota's raised the base price of the Prius by $300.

That said, it was less than I expected and certainly what the market will bear.

The CIRC system in dealerships will enable anyone with a Prius request placed by their dealership by March 9th, 2004, to get that $300 cash increase back from Toyota NATIONAL in 6-8 weeks after buying their car -- it is not applied at the dealership level.

Anyone requesting a car after March 10th will pay for their car based on the increased MSRP with no additional refund/compensation from Toyota. The way the customer info is entered into the database will have to match the car's sale information or Toyota will never know to send the pre-March 10th vehicle request already in the system refund $.

Dianne

2. johnp

johnp New Member

How common a practice is it to raise the list price mid-year? I don't pay a lot of attention to car prices but I don't remember one ever going up after introduction. Is this Toyota trying to bring the supply/demand equation back into reason? Or... Is this Toyota passing on the cost of the increased production?

The car is still a fantastic value.

John

3. boa8

boa8 New Member

4. Dianne

Dianne New Member

A lot of cars in the Lexus and Toyota lineup took a pricing increase - not just Prius. It happens with Toyota often - a small mid year incremental change. I've been with Toyota for nearly 25 years. Used to happen about once eevry 2 months about 2 decades ago, when the yen vs. dollar was in constant fluctuation.

5. Dauth

Dauth New Member

The domestics do it too. It is not uncommon to see moderate price increases (a couple of hundred dollars) throughout the model year. I believe Dodge just increased the base price on their trucks a month or so ago. Seems ironic that they (the domestics) would raise prices at the same time they offer such large rebates.

6. casc

casc New Member

How Convenient. I just got given the news of a price increase... which sparked the following question in my mind.....

Does anyone know if the signed order forms we all got to fill out with
    our deposits constitute a sales contract?

The rebait (deliberate misspelling) scheme is all well and good but aren't the dealers risking a visit from the State AG's office for bait and switch?

I suppose the way around it is to have a car come in that doesn't match the order form and offer it to us..... but still.

cas (tideland/seaside/anything but brown blak or white #7 who's dealer is now playing the "well we think your car was on the feb 23 boat in LA but we can't find it and toyota won't talk to us" game :x )

PS hope this isn't going off half cooked :mrgreen:

7. satchm0

satchm0 New Member

I'm with you, casc! I understand that it will end up a wash when the "rebait" finally shows up. But still -- a signed contract should be binding!