1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime Advanced, car lower battery mileage suddenly?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Prius Primer, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Prius Primer

Prius Primer New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Prius Prime Advanced, about 13 months old. Fully charged it used to show 25miles, last month it started to show only 20 fully charged. I thought it was due to cold weather, but things warmed above freezing and its still only 20 miles. (display and reality).

Is it time for a service appointment?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

can you provide more details? did the car used to travel 25 miles on the same route before the engine came on?
    what was the temp then and now? any other variables?

Raytheeagle and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  3. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    was climate on during the cold weather? remember you don't get free heat, climate will reduce your battery range the colder it gets. The EV guess-o-meter uses outside temperature, speed of car, and averages it over time so just because it warmed up for a day you can't assume EV range will magically jump up to a higher range in a day.

4. Prius Primer

Prius Primer New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    yes its the same route. going from 25 to 20 mile range is a surprising 20% performance loss. didn't know "EV Guess o-meter" took external temperature into account - was thinking it was maybe just that colder battery maybe didn't have as much energy (or something is wrong). Temp have been 10-20 lately. My car internal temp is only set at around 71, and seat heat is set to low, which I would think is reasonable. Does it have a sensor to not heat passenger seat if its not used?

Are others on this forum seeing such a large swing in performance in periods of cold weather? (I live in NJ, so its not exactly the coldest location...).

5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is this your first Prius and first winter?

6. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    About a month ago my EV range was 12 miles, that's when EV ran out and ICE kicked in:eek:

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No, it’s not time for the dealer, it’s time to drive to Florida or until spring enjoy the 20, and the traction doesn’t kick in below 15 degrees, so the 20 will go a long way;)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But how far is it actually going in EV now that it's warmed up? I routinely exceed the prediction in my PiP after resuming normal conditions following a cold snap or other unusual demands.

9. Prius Primer

Prius Primer New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Last winter I did not see a lowering of mileage. This winter is much colder in NJ than last year when I first had the car.
    it is definitely less right mileage now in reality - I used to be able to drive to/back from a friends house all on EV thru Oct 2017, now I cannot by about 4-5 miles... Neither of us moved, and its the same driven path ;-)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it doesn't take temp into account. it just records your actual range and computes a declining estimate as you progress into winter. then reverses as you progress into summer.

my pip actual range is down from 16 miles in nice weather (no a/c) to 10 miles in the single digits. and the last couple days, i have gone 12+ miles because the temp has come up, but the estimate is still sitting at 9.8 miles. it takes awhile for the software to catch up, however they have programmed it.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    also, if you do take it in, they will tell you it's fine, or there is nothing they can do because there are no trouble codes.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are some heuristics involved with what is displayed as the estimated EV range...I haven't seen a good description of that algorithm and have no idea how far back it looks in driving history to update projections. Need to look at both what is being projected and what is being achieved to see if you there is a problem with the car or just the projection.

13. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    true but colder temperatures do result in less EV range, so kinda sorta in a roundabout way it does:D

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't worry about it at all, even normal ICE vehicles experience mileage changes with this weather.
    Just the other day, my GOM showed 31 miles on it, but I went 17 miles and it showed 20 miles of range left. A few degrees makes a difference.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    The energy consumption by the heater is proportional to the duration of your trip and not your speed.
    This is one case where going slow will cost you.

BTW - my car complained when I had the heater set at 70, it suggested that I use a more conservative setting.
    AT 66, it quit complaining.

vvillovv and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  16. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    so.....like Bill Maher says "whiny little B**ch?":LOL:

17. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wondering if that was while running the traction battery or the motor, my traction doesn't work below 15 degrees, only the ice.
    And I always have the heat set to 75 until it's warm, with the seat heat and the steering wheel heat it does warm well, the I set it to 72, and it's yet to object.

It objects when I don't hold the wheel, or hug the right side of the road, but it has yet to tell me to turn down the heat, robots.....

18. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In cold weather (10* - 20* F) when I turn on the car I hit the (Heater-A/C Auto Button).
    My Heat Temp is set at 68, ECO heat is on. Driver Side Priority is on, A/C maybe on as well
    ( I'll have to double check that )
    and the MID ( Multi Info Display ) shows 4 squares - indicating max efficiency - for the ambient inside/outside temps.
    MID stuff

Today at 64* F I had to adjust the Heat settings to get all 4 squares showing. I changed the heat temps setting from 68* F to 75*F
    At the above settings in Ready mode on (plus), the heat pump starts ICE off and sounds very much like the A/C in ready mode ICE off.
    While in the above mode the (plus) uses about 1/10 of a mile EV range per 80 seconds.
    If the Heat is set higher ( I used to START the ICE with the Auto Heater-A/C button with the heat setting at 79* F ) the ICE will start as soon as you push the AUTO button.
    I believe A/C is going to behave in much the same way ie: when ambient temps outside are 90* F outside and inside temps are upwards of 120*F setting A/C temps somewhere between about 80* to 90* F will show 4 squares on the MID as most efficient setting for the A/C at those temps the computers detect. Again using the smallest amount of EV range while the A/C is on.
    Some visuals would make above a lot easier to understand. I'll try to get some pics or video that may help.

#18 vvillovv, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  19. Skapruisprime

Skapruisprime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Check your PSI, might be too low in colder temps result in lower mpg

Also maybe your driving habits changed a little? Heavier foot on gas pedal with winter boots/shoes?

John Clulow likes this.
  20. TDR Marine Engineer

TDR Marine Engineer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Has anyone who has lost range at colder temps tried to use charge for departure with climate prep. and then also pushed the auto A/C button 10 minutes before leaving? These things should use the charge cord to heat the car getting the cabin and much of the battery up to temperature. I would try the charge for departure w/ climate prep 20 - 30 minutes before actual dept and then push the hold A/C 10 minutes before you unplug and leave. These two things should bring up the internal temp giving you longer range. Also for the guy using the seat heat, this is electric heat and will cost you more in range than the heat pump A/C heat. A/C heat pumps work fairly efficiently down into the coldest temps y’all are explaining above. Another option, build an attached garage! With heat pumps the heat of compression adds to the electricity used to compress making the benefit that much more.