1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime..does it record all of my driving?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by psoque, Feb 8, 2018.

1. psoque

psoque Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am wondering if anybody knows this:

I'm assuming that my Prime is recording all of my miileage (with or without corresponding GPS data). Is there a way for me to download via OBDII this so that I can have a comprehensive mileage report, maybe, for taxes?

2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It knows everything about what you do...what you had for breakfast, your phone conversations, you name it. But I am sure there is no problem there.

(Someone here will have the correct answer for you...as you can tell...I don't know).

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ^^^exactly^^^ that that info is proprietary to toyota, and only for sale to the highest bidder.

you have to use your trip meters for tax purposes. or google maps.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    See Toyota’s Privacy and Protection Notice: Connected Vehicle Services, and the “Vehicle data recordings” and “Event data recorder” disclosures on pages 10–11 of the Owner’s Manual (PDF). These are as close to a Statement of Volatility as you’re likely to find, though if you ask Toyota and get one, I’d be interested to see it.
    There is an odometer, of course, but I believe the car does make location records, to support the Predictive Efficient Drive (Predictive Deceleration Assist) feature, for example.
    If there is a way, I couldn’t find anything about it in Toyota’s owner or service publications. Toyota or Denso, makers of the navigation system, can probably extract the data somehow, and in principle, a motivated third party could reverse-engineer the system.

There is a Route Trace feature, described on page 215 of the Navigation System Owner’s Manual (PDF), but it doesn’t display much history: “The traveled route can be stored up to 124 miles (200 km).”

If you’re just trying to establish the mileage on a particular date, there may be some stored vehicle control history events (described in my previous posting) that could be retrieved using a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system. There are also time-stamped operation history records (without mileage, I believe) for the door locks and Smart Key system.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also for accelerator and braking pedal application with timestamp. Someone had a print-out from the dealer in one of these threads somewhere (In the Gen 4 section)