1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime LE

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Carnewbie, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Carnewbie

Carnewbie New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi all,

I am looking to buy the latest 2022 Prius prime LE. It is priced at $27220. My goal is to get the best price closest to this price tag. I am a newbie with purchasing cars from dealers.

Currently, all the used cars similar models are selling about the same price or higher which seems wierd to me, but I am hearing it is becasue of shortage of parts, manufacturing slow down and high demand for cars.

My question is how to get the 2022 Prius prime LE at the price tag MSRP at $27220. I am assuming this price doesnt include sales tax, I believe that may be extra when I purchase it? Most of the dealers are selling the car at a higher price. Are certified toyota dealers allowed to sell a NEW prius prime LE for a higher price if they wish? I want to get educated a bit before blindly believing whatever the dealer may say to me. I hear that a factory order would cost less but I am not sure how to go about it. I am okay to wait for a few months if I place a factory order if thats the best route. I have about $15K maximum amount to put down as downpayment to save on interest rate.

Can all you wise and patient people help me out here? I apologize if the answer was hidden somewhere on this forum and it is a repeat question.

Thanks much,
    Sai

#1 Carnewbie, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  2. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The current auto sales climate has resulted in most 2022 Prius Primes being sold with dealer mark ups above MSRP. On rare occasions the past two months have I read of 2022 PP sales at MSRP after a significant amount of time communicating with dozens upon dozens of dealers.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC. You came to the right place to educate yourself about Prius.

Just editorial. The 2022 Prius Prime LE base starting MSRP is $28220, not $27220 as you stated. But you will not find a new 2022 Prius Prime LE sold in the US with this price as the final total MSRP. The $28220 price does not include a destination charge of $1025. The lowest possible MSRP for a car in the US is thus $29245. But almost all cars sold at US dealers include added installation of some options, such as floor mats, cargo mats, edge guards, etc, raising the MRSP. Those dealer-added options are included in the MSRP of the window sticker.

From the Zip code, you indicated in your profile, you seem to live in CA. Assuming that is true, then there is a $1500 Toyota rebate currently on PP subject to change after 2/28. This is cashback which would reduce your total payment but is applied after tax. So, the lowest possible sales price you can get on PP without any further discount would be $29245 + sales tax - $1500. But there are a few other fees and taxes added to this number for buying a car, including but not limited to documentation fee, registration fee, etc.

As for the dealer markup, it is not illegal. After all, MSRP stands for "manufacturers' suggested retail price". Simple supply and demand control the pricing of the auto market, and dealers responsible for selling the vehicle control the final say on the price of the car they are selling. From what I have read, the markup is rampant in CA and larger cities, but I have not seen this practice in my area dealership. The mark-up can be labeled on the sales slip as "market adjustment" as a form of premium. Or little better, they may tack on a bunch of high-profit margin dealer-installed options onto the car. Even if you are factory ordering a car, as long as you are using a dealer service to order it, I doubt you will get any better price than a car that they already have in inventory. Also, a larger downpayment is not likely to affect the interest rate. Yes, you will have less amount to finance so your total interest payment will be less, but the interest rate is tied to your credit history and rating than anything else.

With a shortage of supply and high demand, it is not the best time to buy a car, especially if this is the first time. Good luck.
    upload_2022-2-17_12-47-51.png

#3 Salamander_King, Feb 17, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    yaun, luckie and Marine Ray like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you hold off purchasing a car for awhile?