1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime -> Prius Plug-in Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Hotdog453, Sep 26, 2024 at 4:07 PM.

1. Hotdog453

Hotdog453 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Electrify the Road in the 2025 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid - Toyota USA Newsroom

For model year 2025, the model keeps on going with its winning blend of powerful electric and hybrid driving but flips the switch to a new name: Prius Plug-in Hybrid. The change to the Prius Plug-in name is intended to help consumers more easily identify the powertrain choices among Prius models. The 2025 Prius Plug-in Hybrid will also adopt a “PHEV” badge on the rear, indicating its Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle powertrain. It will be available in three grades: SE, XSE and XSE Premium.

Same thing with Rav4:
    New Name, Same Great Powertrain for the 2025 Toyota RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid - Toyota USA Newsroom

My commentary: Even before I became a 'Toyota owner', I knew what the Prime name meant. Does the general public just really not know, so this makes sense? Maybe so.

Either way, mine will always a be "Prime" :p

Sarge, tovli and Gokhan like this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yay! Bye bye Prius Prime, welcome back Prius PHEV!

I am surprised that the 2025 Prius PHEV was announced before the 2025 Prius HEV.

It looks like there are no changes other than the name change.

The upcoming months will be a good opportunity to buy a 2024 Prius HEV or a 2024 Prius Prime PHEV with deep discounts below MSRP before the 2025 models arrive, as the dealer lots will be overflown with 2024 models. I would trade in my 2021 Prius Prime Limited, but the Prius Prime PHEV is really expensive, and I don't want to have car payments after the fifteen left.

3. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    In this era of SEO (search engine optimization), having “Plugin Hybrid” in the car name probably includes the Prius in search results more often than the once removed “Prius Prime ISA Plugin Hybrid”

Sarge and Hotdog453 like this.
  4. Hotdog453

Hotdog453 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I don’t disagree but that angers me on a visceral level.

tovli likes this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Now that it is called PiP again, even Mr. @bisco might get one because of nostalgy for his old PiP.

Sarge likes this.
  6. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Sarge, Hotdog453 and tovli like this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think the main reason by Toyota is to make it clear that the car is a PHEV. When you say Prius Prime, it doesn't really mean anything. Calling it Prius PHEV explicitly states what it is. Every other car maker does the same. Toyota was the only one who used “Prime” instead of PHEV. With the electrification plans intensifying, Toyota wants to clarify and better identify their cars. I wish they would start calling their battery electric vehicles BEV instead of EV as well.

Actually, they sort of do.

[​IMG]

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring