1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime Tire Pressure - What are folks using?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by JTEM, Nov 10, 2017.

1. JTEM

JTEM Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It was a really cold day in the Boston suburbs today and after the car sat outdoors for a while, I got a TPMS warning. I pulled into a a nearby gas station and the pressure gauge in the air dispenser showed that the tires had 28 PSI only! Got the pressure up to 30 PSI - as per the gauge, and the TPMS warning cleared up.

The tag on the door states that the pressure should be 36 PSI when the tires are cold. I need to find a garage with a reliable gauge and sort this out.

Which begs the question - what pressure are you guys driving with in your Prius Prime? I have Bridgestone Ecopia tires on my Prime.

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i run 42/40. not a prime, but they're all the same. invest in a decent gauge and small compressor, it's worth it.

Kurt Weiske, Mendel Leisk and RRxing like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I use 47 psi for both cars. When I take them in for service, I re-inflate the tires and reset the tire pressure sensor. So when I had the transaxle oil changed, the technician noticed the tire pressures were higher than stock and asked if I wanted them reset.

"Thank you, no. I prefer a harder ride."

That secured my repeat business.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Mayank Jain likes this.
  4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    37 psi. It's comfortable and my mpg is still in orbit. I did the whole high psi/ mpg rough ride chase for 7 years in my 2010 and it's just not necessary in the Prime to get good results.

5. Low to mid-40s regardless of all-season or winter tires.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah get yourself a decent gauge, even just a quality stick gauge. Those are my preference; they last pretty much forever.

As to where to set pressures: your call. At least the door decal pressure, my pref would be 2~4 more, not too far. Markedly higher pressures make for a rough ride, and while I've no proof, suspect they shorten the life of bearings, shocks, springs.

7. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Loving my 2 day old Advanced, but slightly disappointed in the TPMS considering the Advanced has so many screens. My 2015 Fiat 500e has a readout of each tire’s PSI, not just an idiot light.

Haven’t checked the pressure yet, but will likely go a few PSI over the placard recommendation, like 42f / 40r. I THINK the tire’s sidewall states 44 maximum?

Craig

8. Trad77

Trad77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  9. JTEM

JTEM Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Interesting. The door decal says 36 PSI. Where did you get 32 PSI?
    Thanks.

10. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'll stick with the 36F/35R from the placard for the best compromises of traction, rolling resistance, handling, tread life, and comfort.

11. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looks like Trad77 has a PriusC. Maybe different than the Prime since I’m guessing the Prime weighs more?

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I sent my scangage to Linear Logic this afternoon for the software upgrade and the 2017 Prius Prime Xgauges to monitor the tire pressures.

Bob Wilson

Mark57 and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prime & Gen 4 Prius have s mix of different OEM tires. The Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires on my car are the Japanese ones with 44 psi maximum rating. Obviously @bwilson4web has different tires with a higher pressure rating. It is not generally a good idea to exceed the tire ratings. I set my Gen 4 tires at 39.

14. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You're from Boston and this surprises you? After all of the local news sources have been flooded with "Deflategate" stories? :)

With how cold it got Friday, you should have probably seen at least a 3 psi drop in tire pressure. I'd guess probably closer to 4 psi. That's what I've observed on extremely cold mornings. The thing is, when you get going on the highway and those tires get hot, the pressure should go back up to where it should be. This is how the Natural Gas Law works.

Also, you should not inflate your tires to 36 psi "cold" when it's only 20 degrees outside and the car has sat long enough that air in the tires is also 20 degrees. If you do, when you're driving around and the friction heats up the air, your pressure will likely be up around 39-40 psi.

BTW, if you want a scientific explanation - watch this:

15. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Don't be surprised if your new car's tires have 50+psi. They overinflate for the boat trip over here and some dealers don't even check them for new car delivery. Mine and several others have indicated these levels. Let us know what you find.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Deeper issue: if they haven't checked tire pressures, what else haven't they checked?

There's a couple of oblong caps that are supposed to be installed too I think, just inboard of the rear scissor jack locations, that might be missed too. They're to fill these holes in reinforced points, supposedly for some sort of locking pins, used in shipping.

17. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just went out to check the pressures. The valve stem caps are sooo tight, I can’t get them off with my fingers. Guess I could use pliers, but I think I’ll go up to my local tire store and let them battle with the caps. Back soon.

Craig

18. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Only had the tire guy tell me the LF pressure, it was 35. So pretty close to the recommend 36. Had him set 42F and 40R. Car seemed to roll a bit better on the 2 mile drive home.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do a tank or two at 40+ psi, then repeat, say around 36 psi. See if there's a dent in your mpg, and note also the ride is a little smoother. Don't assume the mpg will jump with a few extra pounds. It likely will, but maybe so minor as to be lost in the "noise". And the ride does get firmer... It's a balance.

20. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Be careful running too high. It can affect your handling at highway speeds and may even cause some lane drift, especially if it's windy.

Mendel Leisk likes this.