1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prob - Toyota Canada complaint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BROOK SIDE, Aug 4, 2010.

1. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi - first post - I know this is an american forum but I have a complaint about toyota canada. I have an 07 prius with 62K kms on it. I purchased it new and paid the extra $2000 for toyota's full extended warranty.

over the last 6 mos my fuel economy has taken a drastic dive, so I took the car in to the dealer to have a service and get them address the economy under the warranty.

the dealer now claims that the warranty i bought doesnt cover diagnostics now that the car is 2000 kms past 60K, and that toyota wont cover finding out whats wrong with the car. I contacted the dealer i purchased the car from and they told me that toyota did in fact cover diagnostic if they were related to a warrantiable item or problem.

this morning i called toyota canada to explain the situation and complain about the hassle with this as the dealer has had my car for 2 days now and is telling me they want to charge me $117 for diagnosing it.

I spoke to Randy at x5014 who then told me that toyota NEVER covers diagnosing problems regardles of the warranty - this is the most obsurd thing i have ever heard - I have owned dozens of vehicles and had many warranty claims in my lifetime - to have toyota side step the entire issue and try to now tell me they dont ever diagnose a problem is out of this world.

i asked to speak to her manager and she wouldnt let me do that - i asked for her to have a manager call me and she told me it would take 4-7 business days.

my recent purchases are an FJ cruiser, our prius and our in laws just bought a camry - we are (or were ) loyal customers of toyota but if this is how |I am to be treated then |I want out.

i honestly feel like taking my prius down to the honda dealer and trading it in - i feel bad for owning this car and for ever dealing with this company and that is from the heart - I really thought I would get a "we're sorry sir - we'll see what we can do about fixing your car" - instead all I got was a lecture.

-very angry from canada.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am sympathetic to the problem that you have had dealing with Toyota Canada and the extended warranty. Nevertheless, if you are convinced that the car has a problem then I think you should agree to pay the $117 and see what the dealer tech comes up with.

If it turns out your car has a problem, then read the terms of your extended warranty and see what is covered and what is not, regarding diagnosis and repair.

If there is no problem found, then you will be out $117. This is because the dealer does not want to have service dept time taken up with no-trouble-found complaints. The price is a way to make sure that the customer has "skin in the game".

So, make sure that the car has a verifiable problem before you agree to this. Good luck.

3. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - just had to vent. :(

4. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    And by the way, you car probably need a new 12V battery. Big drops in the fuel economy with no other errors is the first sign of a failing 12V battery AND you car is starting to reach the age were it can start to wear out.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Brook Side, use the Maintenance Mode available through the MFD to check the 12v battery's voltage. If the readings are low that may be youyr problem. Not sure if the 12v is going to be covered under your warranty.

Good luck & welcome.

6. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

thanks :) - i'm sure it's somewhere here on the site but how do I get into the maintenance mode?

7. Springtime

Springtime Member

You have probably already checked your tires - but, just in case you have not, I had a nail with no head get lodged in one tire that caused a very very slow leak. I immediately noticed a drop in my mileage - but a visual inspection of the tires I did not notice a problem. When the tire started to show a loss of air I took a pressure reading and took the car to my dealer and they could not find a leak even tough it was down 5 lbs. They added air. I was back a week later and told them there was a leak somewhere because it was low again. They finally found the headless nail and removed it.

Loss in mileage was the first indication that there was a slow leak in one tire.

Springtime

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it just me or is there a sudden influx of people with 2007 Prius who are complaining of a drop in MPG? :confused:

9. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry for the late response - here's an update -

got the prius back from the dealer - they did not charge me for the diagnosis which they claim showed the mileage at 5.0l/100km - it appears as though they pumped up the front tires and gingerly drove it around the block - they reset the avg on the screen and presented me with a printout from their diagnostic tool showing 5.0l/100km and the MFD also reported this when I picked it up from them (though it reported 6.8l/100km when I dropped it off). Dealer said car generated no error codes so there is nothing wrong with it they claim.

I drove it off the lot and the mileage immediately shot up to 6.7l/100kms and has remained there despite a second tank of gas and a few resets and me driving as efficiently as I could possibly do - the same driving that would net my best avg of 4.8l/100kms.

I did observe a curious thing - when I am driving and toggle the MFD between the graphic display screen showing whether i'm in regen or not and the screen that shows the bar with actually instantaneous usage, I note that about 50% of the time when I am in full regen (ie: traveling down hill, foot off the gas) when the usage should be zero as I am in full regen, there is a 1.5 - 4.0 l/100km "phantom" usage showing up even thought the MFD does not show the engine to be running, the usage reports fuel being used, though car is in full regen. I did video this with my Iphone. I dont know where to turn and I have not yet contacted the dealer to show this to them...

thoughts? anyone in Canada or from Toyota Canada able to help??

thanks!

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually that's not too unusual Brookside. It happens firstly when the engine is cold and when it needs heat for cabin air. It also happens even when you're at full operating temperature if you start the "glide" from under 56 km/h, unless you're in hybrid "stage 4". To get into "stage 4" you've got to have the car fully up to normal operating temperature and then completely stop the car (with the engine running) for 5 to 10 seconds (until the engine cuts out) and then it changes to full hybrid "stage 4" mode and you get better FE. Pretty crazy I know, but it's true.

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As the above posters indicated, if there is no code in the system there isn't a problem Toyota can address. When I had Pearl in for the coolant transfer pump squealing there was no charge for diagnostics. That person at Toyota Canada should be "re-educated" or fired. That's bad business practice.

Most common reasons for poor fuel economy:
    Short trips (less than 5 km) when the engine is cold.
    E10 fuel (Mohawk or Husky in Canada).
    Low tire pressure - I use 40 PSI front and 38 PSI in rear.
    Oil not 5W30. If you put in 10W30 it WILL drop your mileage. I use 5W30 Mobil 1.
    Do have the 12V battery voltage checked after the car sits overnight. You can do this yourself with a voltmeter under the hood on the "boost terminal". You should see close to 12V or slightly above, car not put in "ready" for at least 8 hours.

Pearl is a 2007 and is showing the best mileage since purchase now. She averages in the mid to low 4 l/100 km. In winter, of course, it's much worse.

12. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies however as I've pointed out in my initial post I have owned the car since new - I'm reasonably familiar with how the various stages of the hybrid engine operates and what I can or can't do to improve my mileage _- I also track every tank so again what I am saying is that for no apparent reason regardless of the things I have tried which I know work - pump up tires etc etc etc - my mileage is off by about 40%

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Pull the engine air filter out and inspect it. While it's open (the airbox), have a look at the throttle body/plate. They are known to get dirty. That -might- effect mileage.

But again, without a code to deal with, most mechanics won't know where to look. It's a sad state, but it's the way it is.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if there was a bad batch of batteries?

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is just the time for 07's to start needing new 12v batteries. Next year we will have 2008 drops.

I would go with what is suggested and replace the 12v and pump up your tires.

As for the diagnostic fee, it is normal. Even at the Lexus dealerships and Honda dealerships we deal with, if anything is wrong and the dealer's quote is too high so you refuse it, they charge you diagnostics. $79 at the Honda dealership, $149 at the Lexus dealership. This is with a warranty. This is why I try to diagnose it first, then take it where it can be fixed.

Something else I would try is to fill up somewhere else. Most of us have that gas station we fill up at every time unless we need to do something. Perhaps your station changed its mixture or added ethanol? Try a new station at a different brand.

16. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay - people seem to be thread skimming - it's not the fuel, the air filter or the tires thAt are already pumped up. Only thing I have not tried is changing the 12v battery so I suppose that's next - should I just give up and get on a waiting list for a volt or a leaf? Toyota canada certainly doesn't seem to care - that's for sure

17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did read, just going with the norms...

The reason I suggest a new fuel is the station may have changed the formula and that could make it worse. So try a new station, it's not too hard.

The battery could be a drain on resources, but the drop you are mentioning I doubt it is the only reason. Definitely a contender for a contribution to the problem though.

Could just be traffic patterns have increased slowly so you dont notice it is different. Perhaps drive up and down the 401 at a constant speed (if even possible now adays, may need to go at 3am or something!) just to see if constant speed driving gets the same hit.

It is easy to disregard advice that you have already internalized as useless. It is human nature. However there could be things that you have not processed, but that could effect the outcomes.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A