1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius pulls to the right, can't tell what to do next

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BrianV, Apr 4, 2010.

1. BrianV

BrianV New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I searched and couldn't find anyone with a similar situation. We have an 06 PKG8 Prius with 65k miles. It's my fiance's car and I rarely drive it so I can't say for certain when the issue started, but it was sometime within the past 10k miles.

The car when on a perfectly flat road/highway, pulls to the right pretty severely. If you take your hand off the wheel on a perfectly flat road, it'll be in the next lane within 1-2 seconds.

I basically have to drive the car with the wheel turned 5 degrees to the left to compensate for the pulling to the right, this is at highway speeds, the situation is minimized at slower speeds.

I've checked and repaired the obvious. Tire pressure is 35psi on all four tires and I just had a wheel alignment done. The overall alignment was good, but there was some toe on the front tires that was out of spec, but actually considering the 65k miles, the overall alignment was great.

The pulling is not related to braking or acceleration, it's a constant pull that would happen while coasting on the highway.

I'm just not sure where to go to chase this any further. The car hasn't been in an accident, the tires were replaced about 20k miles ago and have been rotated and pressure is consistent across all four tires.

I know all cars will generally pull especially at this age, but this Prius has started pulling a bit too hard to be normal.

After paying for the computer alignment and not seeing any improvement, I'm really curious as to where to start my next investigation.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Little confused. Did you present the car with the issue to the alignment place? I've never seen a front end alignment that they didn't drive the car after an alignment. And your describing a very bad issue too. Doubt they would let the car drive away unless they are really terrible.
    But lets assume the alignment was fine on the car and they didn't drive the car then it may be dragging brake caliper. Quick test is to feel the wheel after a highway run. Stop quick and feel the wheel compared to the other wheel. A dragging caliper will make that wheel real hot quick.
    On my 07 when the car is off and you jack up the front end the tire spins freely so next would be to jack the car up and spin the wheel. Should spin real nice and pretty quiet.
    Or may be a real bad cv joint. But they make a racket when there going bad. Lots of clunking.....Unless its been damaged by hitting something.
    Try to find a place where you can roll the windows down and while driving listen to the wheels. Like a parking garage or up next to a long wall. I try to listen to my 07 when I park at my office's underground parking. Gives you a heads up on brake or wheel bearing issues.

But I would take it back to the alignment place and have there guy drive it too.
    Sounds real bad. Be careful!

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your perception of "Perfectly flat road" may not be---perfect.

Do a test drive when the road is empty. See if the pull exists when you drive over the centerline of the road. Most roads are crowned in the center; even if it looks flat, you can get a drift to the right.

And definitely have the alignment shop check again and test drive it with you in the car.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your options are:

1) Alignment.

2) Brakes.

3) Tires.

4) Steering wheel alignment.

#4 won't cause the car to pull to one side, but it can be confusing. As for the others, you need to test for each. My first guess is alignment, although you state you had that done. Do you trust the shop to have done a good job?

A bad tire or dragging brake on one side will cause a car to pull to that side. One of those would be my second guess.

You could also have a bearing issue, but I lump that in with alignment. I would expect any competent shop to notice bad bearings when doing an alignment, but I could be expecting too much.

Tom

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your expectations are too high. :madgrin:

I would swap the tires from left to right temporarily to see if it still pulls.

6. BrianV

BrianV New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the pulling happened after my last tire rotation so I'll definitely try swapping the left and right tires to see what happens.

As far as the alignment, I doubt they did a roadtest, but I'm not sure, I wasn't there. Despite both front wheels being slightly out of toe-spec, the alignment didn't improve the situation, it still pulls hard to the right.

To one of the earlier posts, yes I know all roads aren't flat, but this pulling is crazy severe. I have another car that drives on the same road with no such effect.

I'll start with swapping the tires out to rule out whether it's related to a tire or not.

Thanks,
    Brian

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    There is some kind of special Toyota zero point reset needs to be done after alignment. You might as well ask if the alignment shop has done that.

8. BrianV

BrianV New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I highly doubt they did, in fact I'm almost certain. My question on this, is the zero reset just put the wheel back to TDC? Some steering wheels get out of whack but when you let go they return to the off position and drive straight. When I lift my hands off, the wheel does return to TDC, but the car veers to the right. At 65MPH or higher it does so pretty hastily.

I'm going to swap the tires from right to left and see what we end up with. I'm thinking I have a tire issue somewhere. I checked for a dragging caliper and found no evidence of that. I don't think it's bearing related or anything of the sorts.

Could out of balance wheels cause this? I may just ask to have the wheels all rebalanced as they've had these tires for over 25k miles (my BMW tires last 12k miles, these last forever).

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Zero Point reset is performed to calibrate the VSC system. It should be performed whenever the front toe in settings are adjusted. It requires a scan tool that can send the commands to the Skid Control ECU, normally a dealer scan tool or equivalent.

If the steering wheel is not centered horizontally when the car is moving straight, it means that the toe in was not done correctly; they should adjust both sides to correct the steering wheel position.

Mhl7777 likes this.
  10. BrianV

BrianV New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm having the wheels rebalanced and cross-rotated, we'll see how that affects things to rule out a radial-pull. I don't think there's a balance issue since the wheel seems smooth a speed.

I recall the pull coming on shortly after our last tire rotation so I'm thinking it may be that and not alignment. We'll see, I'll check it out tonight on the ride home.

11. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello all:

One time several years ago after having a brand new set of tires put on our Beetle, I found that the car pulled strongly to one side.

I stopped to inspect the tires, and found that the inside of one of the tires had a different circumference than the outside of the same tire! In other words, in cross-section the tire profile was lopsided! This was not a minor difference either, but was easily discernible with the naked eye.

The dealer immediately replaced that tire, and the tracking returned to normal.

So I would also suggest cross-rotating the tires.

12. BrianV

BrianV New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well rebalancing and cross-rotating solved the problem. The car drives dead straight and the overall steering response is better. I can't say with 100% what solved the problem, but since the steering wheel didn't vibrate or shake at speed before, I'm thinking I just had a tire with a slipped belt in it. The problem originally showed up 5k ago at my last service after I had a tire rotation done. Clearly the bad tire shows its signs when mounted on the front.

The tires are the second set and were replaced sometime around 40k. They have another 10-15k left in them so I just plan on leaving them on the rear and not rotating them until I get new wheels. I read that a radial pull doesn't need to changed so long as it isn't causing negative effects (e.g., it won't fall apart on the road). I'll keep watching wear and we'll go from there.

It now drives straighter than my 08 BMW M.

1 person likes this.