1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius purchase - is this a reasonable deal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bluesman2007, Aug 23, 2007.

1. bluesman2007

bluesman2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The color is not my first choice but the options are acceptable...is this a reasonable deal?? It's only $599 under MSRP...trying to get a quote via Sams Club as well....

2007 Toyota Prius MSRP
    Model - 1224 HYBRID GAS/ELEC Base: $22,890.00
    Exterior Color - 0202 BLACK Installed Options: $3,708.00
    Interior Color - FE11 STRLG/LGRY/DCHAR/STON/DGR Total: $26,598.00
    * Base MSRP includes delivery charge
    ** Prices subject to change without notice
    *** Please refer to vehicle Monroney label for final specifications and pricing
    Standard Features for this model
    MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    - Hybrid Synergy Drive System - Auto Climate Control w/Air Filtration
    - 1.5L 4Cyl DOHC 16 Valve w/VVT-i Engine - AM/FM CD with 6 Speakers
    - Elctrnic Cntinusly Variable Trans (ECVT) - Push Button Start
    - Electronic Power Steering System - Remote Keyless Entry, Engine Immobilizer
    - MacPherson Strut Front Suspension - Cruise Control
    - Torsion Beam Rear Suspension - Liquid-Crystal Multi-Info Display Panel
    - 15" Alloy Wheels w/P185/65R15 Tires - w/Energy Monitor, Fuel Consumption,
    - Front Disc and Rear Drum Brakes - Climate Control, O/S Temp & Audio Status
    SAFETY - Tilt Steer Wheel w/Climate & Audio Cntrl
    - Dr & Fr Pass Advanced Front Airbag (SRS) - 60/40 Split Fold-Flat Rear Seat
    - Dr & Fr Pass Side & Curtain Airbags - Variable Frnt & Intermittent Rr Wipers
    - Traction Control (TRAC) - Heavy-Duty Rr Window Defogger w/Timer
    - ABS w/Elec Brake Force Dist & Brk Assist - Pwr Door Locks & Wndws w/Dr Auto Up/Down
    - 3 Point Seatbelts w/ALR/ELR Pass Belts - Cntr Console & Dual-Compartmnt Glove Box
    - Side-Impact Door Beams - 2 Auxiliary 12V Power Outlets
    - Rr-Seat Child Restraint Sys (CRS) Lower - Cargo Tonneau Cover & Undr-Floor Storage
    - Anchors and Top Tether Brackets (LATCH) - Overhead Console with Map Lights
    - Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Fabric Cloth Seats
    EXTERIOR
    - Multi-Reflectr Halogn Auto-Off Headlamps
    - Dual Clr-Keyd Pwr Heated Outside Mirrors
    - Chrome-Type Finish on Front Grille
    - Rear Spoiler
    Selected Options and Packages
    Code Description Code Description
    FE 50 State Emissions PV Permavin/Glass Etch & Limited Warranty
    HI Package #3 Includes: JBL AM/FM 6-Disc CD P4 Vehicle Shield Package
    - Changer with 9 Speakers, Aux Audio - Lusterizing Sealant
    - Input Miniplug, MP3/WMA Playback - Sound Shield
    - Capability, Satellite Radio Capability, - Sealant Cleaner
    - and Hands-Free Phone Capability via - Rental Car Assistance
    - Bluetooth; Vehicle Stability Control;
    - Backup Camera; Smart Key System;
    - Anti-Theft System; Auto-Dimming Rearview
    - Mirror with HomeLink
    * ** -Port Installed- (TD)
    A0 The Extra Mile Option Package A
    - Glass Break Sensor
    - Carpet Mat Set (5 pc)
    - Carpet Floor Mats
    - Trunk Mat
    - Mud Guards
    - Cargo Net
    - Fabric Guard
    - Rear Bumper Protector
    - Custom Tape Stripe
    - First Aid Kit
    - Wheel Locks
    - No Charge Extra Mile Benefits:
    - Road Hazard Tire Warranty
    - (3 Yrs/36,000 Miles)
    - Roadside Assistance (3 Yrs/36,000 Miles)
    - The Extra Mile Service Rewards Program
    - (5 Yrs/60,000 Miles)

There are less than 7 of these left in the state. I have this one here for you to drive as of now. I don't think it will make it to the weekend.

Our sales price is $25999 after all rebates and discounts (if appl.). This price is good till the end of the month.

2. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluesman2007 @ Aug 23 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]501155[/snapback]</div>

STEAL IT!

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tell them to get rid of the service plan that they tacked on at the bottom and you'll get it for even cheaper.

4. Blue Hoosier

Blue Hoosier New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluesman2007 @ Aug 23 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]501155[/snapback]</div>

I am buying a 2008 Prius which I ordered on August 4. The reason we didn't buy a new 2007 is because the dealer would only give us $300 off the MRSP. They told us because I went in there with information from Consumer Reports and sights like this, the manger knew we had done our research and said we could have $300 off a new 2008. Since after that we found out that the new 2008 Prius' is only $150 more than the 2007, we ordered a new model so when the time came to resell, the car would be one year newer.
    We ordered the new car with a Pkg #3 like the one you listed and our total will only be about $25,289. So, to answer your question, I think if you could find a dealer to give you some off a new car, why not?
    By the way, we were going to get the Extended Warranty at the dealership for 7 yrs./100,000 miles for $1850, but thanks to this sight, we found a dealer in Massachusetts who will sell us that same warranty (which you can use at any Toyota dealership nationwise) for $990. Thanks everyone for your help with this savings.

I'm sure no matter what you decide, you'll be happy with your new car.

Blue Hoosier

5. bluesman2007

bluesman2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Hoosier @ Aug 23 2007, 04:48 PM) [snapback]501225[/snapback]</div>
    Good point...will give them a call and see what they can do about an '08....

6. jweale

jweale Junior Member

I bought just last month, so I'm not a guru on the subject but I ended up deciding getting anything under MSRP was at least reasonable. I ended getting $350 off MSRP for a red '07 touring HI package. It would have been $500 via the Costco offer, but after arguing them out of the bogus "documentation fees" I gave up and took the window etching for $150 (doubly annoying since the etching is not only worthless but ugly to boot). I may have been able to get as much as $900 below MSRP if I took one off the lot that wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Of course,after a fortnight of driving, I've pretty much recovered from the pain of buying it (and waiting 6 weeks for it to get in) and am now thoroughly enjoying it!

7. kathiag96

kathiag96 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluesman2007 @ Aug 23 2007, 06:03 PM) [snapback]501230[/snapback]</div>
    something to consider - don't know if this is true or not (one of the dealers we spoke with last week said this but I didn't verify b/c we ended up with an 07) - supposedly even if you take delivery of an 08 before 9/30, you won't get the tax credit. If you take the 07, you will be able to get it (as long as it's delivered to ya before 9/30).

8. Blue Hoosier

Blue Hoosier New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kathiag96 @ Aug 23 2007, 08:38 PM) [snapback]501285[/snapback]</div>
    Of course I'm interested in this information because we are planning on getting that energy tax rebate. I printed a copy of it from the Internal Revenue Service. Here are the requirements to meet to qualify for the credit.

1. The vehicle must be placed in service after 12/31/05 and purchased on or before 12-31-10.
    2. The original use of the vehicle must begin with the taxpaer claiming the credit.
    a. The credit may only be claimed by the original owner of a new, qualifying, hybrid vehicle and does
    not apply to a used hybrid vehicle.
    3. The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer claiming the credit.
    a. The credit is only available to the original purchaser of a qualifying hybrid vehicle. If a qualifying
    vehicle is leased to a consumer, the leasing company may claim the credit.
    b. For qualifying vehicles used by a tax-exempt entity, the person who sold teh qualifying vehicle to
    the person or entity using the vehicle is eligible to claim the credit, but only if the seller clearly
    discloses in a document to the tax-exempt entity the amount of credit.
    4. The vehicle must be used predominantly within the United States.

Further into the form (several pages of qualifying vehicles, it shows the Prius. The purchase date must be
    before 09-30-07 to get the $787.50 tax credit. It doesn't say anything about what year the vehicle must be which makes me think it could be a 2008 if we receive it by that date.

It sounds like the dealer was trying to get rid of his 2007's. Hope this clears it up for you.

Blue Hoosier

9. paulrubin

paulrubin New Member

I wouldn't count on getting very many '08's before September 30 though. I'm getting an incoming '07 in a week or two. There were more '07's coming in later on in September to this same dealer but I need a car now (central NJ). So the odds are '08's are iffy for September 30, only about 5 weeks from now. Not saying there won't be '08's in at some point in September but the evidence I'm seeing is that this is iffy and the numbers of customers who will get it done by then can't be very high.

10. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluesman2007 @ Aug 23 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]501155[/snapback]</div>

Since you are from the Oklahoma City area, why don't you make a call to Jim Norton Toyota in Tulsa and ask to speak to Rob Loethen. The phone number is 918-250-6888. His cell number is 918-955-2864. We have bought two new Toyotas from him. An 05 Avalon and an 07 Prius. He's a great guy and will deal with you fairly and without un-due pressure. We got a great deal last Februrary on the Prius.

They are showing 6 Prius cars in stock at this time. If you talk to him, tell him that Warren said to call, he will probably remember us. Good luck.

11. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bluesman2007,

I strongly recommend you hold out for an '08 and get out for more bids via the internet and only deal with the Dealer Internet Sales Manager. I'm out for quotes both in-state and out of state for a 2008 Touring with Pkg #6. So far have received bids of $1500 under MSRP, $1400 under MSRP and one for 5% over Dealer cost.