1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Purchase: Transfer Current Plate or New?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by New Revelation, Aug 25, 2006.

1. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When you bought your Prius, did you transfer your old plate or did you decide to get a new plate? I know the dealer was telling me that I can transfer the old plate on my Olds and will be alot cheaper compared to getting a new plate for the Prius. Course I knew it would be more expensive for a new plate, especially if I wanted a personalized plate.

My current car also has a personalized plate which is FF VII. I am thinking on keeping the current plate on my car, and keeping it running to use as a backup vehicle. Where I work the parking area gets littered with flying dirt and dust all day long from the semi's and tractors coming in to park on the dirt/gravel area.

When my Prius arrives, I plan to get a new plate, and probably have it personalized as well, though I know it will cost me more to do so. Course since Michigan only requires one plate, a personalized plate of up to 7 characters I would have to wait for it to come in the mail (compared to the regular ones which I could get right away at the Secretary State office).

I want a new plate which would personalize me, or the car.....havent thought of a name yet, but I got lots of time to work on it, then check to see if they will be available.

How about you guys? Transfer of New?

2. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 25 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]309521[/snapback]</div>
    I transferred & yes, it was cheaper. In Illinois, it cost about $143 for a title & new plate vs. about $80 for a title & transfer.

My rationale, however, was that I wanted to keep my license # since I had had it forever. It wasn't a vanity plate, just a good friend. <_<

3. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 25 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]309521[/snapback]</div>
    I think if you check the Michigan DMV website you'll find out that you can get Personalized Plates in a variety of formats. I didn't go through the process but here in California you can have the same character/number sequence on two sets of plates as long as they are difference serias, e.g., standard plates and environmental plates. (Yeah, you pay extra for the special series plates but hten how much do you want the same plate "number".

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    YES! TRANSFER! You live in Michigan! I did this same thing in Michigan in 2000. In fact, go renew it first! Head on down to the Secretary of State, bring your registration and your checkbook, and tell them you would like to renew the old plate. Mention nothing of the Prius.

I transferred a plate from a 16 year old car (plate price was $25) to a new car (plate price would have been $250).

So, by renewing early, you can extend the old plate on the new car to over a year.

You can also get a new plate for the old car at the old price, and get a personalized plate when the old one expires (on the Prius).

Nate

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we used the same plate. we had a few months left on the registration and i didn't want to double pay for any time whatsoever. every time the renewal comes around now, we don't have the money to get a custom plate. oh well.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got new plates...I figured out with the old and in with the new. The old plates left along with the old Saturn after the guy I sold it to paid for it in full. :)

7. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I transfered! Quick and easy.Also the plate is like family!its been with me since my first car.

8. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    New plates only because TN redesigned the plates. My trade had the old style and I wanted the new plate design for the new car. Otherwise I would have transferred the old ones.

9. glenhead

glenhead New Member

It's not an option in Texas, unless you have personalized plates.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Aug 25 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]309666[/snapback]</div>
    Same in California.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I'm glad I got personalized plates so I'll be able to transfer them to my 2009 Prius. Too bad I can't transfer the HOV stickers too. (I anticipate the program will be extended.)

12. ymos

ymos New Member

I transferred my plates - they look so bad on the new car, my friends and wife want me to get new ones.

:huh:

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I never transfer plates for that very reason, the old weathered plates stick out on the new car.

14. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, according to my state's SOS (Secretary of State) office, to get a personalized plate I would have to go to the office to apply for the plate, same as I done with the Olds, and from what the site states it will take up to 3 weeks to get the plate once it's approved.

So possibly I may need to get a temporary tag from the dealer and then go to the SOS office to apply for the personalized plate.

15. wombatua

wombatua New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Transferred - it was slightly cheaper and I didn't waste the metal of a brand-new plate. I could care less about the plate or what it looks like - I'm not giving any more money to the DMV than I have to...

16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    In Alberta my "old plate" is galvanized and plasticised. It is still good as new (I think it's at least 30 years old now!). I always remember the number. So I'll be keeping it.
    The new plates are not galvanized, and not plasticised. They are stamped from thinner metal. Junk!

17. miwaku

miwaku New Member

In GA, you can transfer ANY plate, regular or vanity. I have a vanity, but $22 to transfer my existing plate is MUCH better than $200+.

18. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

Didn't have the option. My previous vehicle was an SUV with "M" series plates. Can't put them on a passenger car here in MD.

No matter, I'm gonna see if I can get lucky enough to get some tounge-in-cheek vanity tags for the "Silent Horse" anyway...

19. Visith

Visith New Member

I transferred. Might as well keep the sort-of low numbered plate I've had since the last redesign. I'd rather have the six digits than the seven they're handing out now :)

I think in NH it only saves us the cost of the plate, which I think is around $20 or so.

20. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just to stress, the rules for Michigan are at your advantage here. Renew the old, then transfer, then get a personalized plate. Save 100's.

Nate