1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Radio Compatibility & Aux Output (Bluetooth)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by KitsuneVoss, Feb 29, 2024.

1. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wrote something previously in the wrong section and what I wrote is really screwed up. Going to try a new thread and hopefully ask clearer questions.

I have been using a Bluetooth FM transmitter to be able to listen to my cell phone on my radio. Use it for music and podcasts. I had a clear signal but recently that frequency has been taken over by a radio signal that overrides my FM transmitter signal. No other frequencies I have been able to find are very clear. There is always some static.

I want the ability to install an Aux connector where I can connect a 3.5 plug to a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver. I figure I can snake a cord into the glove box if best place to put it. If I can do that with my radio, great, but if I have to install a replacement radio, I consider that an option as well. Have not removed the radio but have watched a number of videos and it appears within my skill level fairly easily. Don't want to but would be worth it to stop listening to static.

Partially I have been reading / listening to things that are confusing. I have a Toyota 51830 OEM radio currently installed. There are some indications that, by essentially going through the glove box, I may be able to plug some kind of a pin style connector into the back of the radio. I can use that to get Aux output. If that can be done, does that then just override the CD player?

My second though, and might even be better would be to install a radio, OEM because less headache and want to retain steering wheel radio controls without a lot of extra stuff, which allows me to have an Aux connector. I know that there are a number of radios which the Prius was available with. I think the Toyota 51825 would not work because it is JBL and has different connectors. I am however wondering about the Toyota 51824? Could I simply replace the Toyota 51830 with the Toyota 51824? Would there be any compatibility issues?

Finally looking for that connector / 3.5 output jack. Does anyone know where I might able able to get that, provided that it is something that would work?

I did find this on eBay?
    AUX Audio Input 3.5mm Adapter Cable Fit For Toyota Tacoma 2007-2009 | eBay
    Lists as being compatible with a 2009 Prius but it is shipped from China and not likely worth sending back if not what I need?

2. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Going to put this on record so as someone else might be helped with this.

The aux plug for the Prius seems similar to other Toyota vehicles of the same time. It is a 12 pin plug in a 6-6 configuration connector that I found labeled as a CN702 connector.

[​IMG]

I found that if you look for Toyota Bluetooth Adapter Kits, you hit pay dirt. looking for Prius does not seem to help much. Make sure you look at the plug head of the connector and make sure it is a 6-6 connector. The sellers on eBay generally list it as working with a Prius.

The other issue is that my radio is a Toyota 51830. The radio does not have an aux function as far as I can tell. There is however the Toyota 51824 where the radio CD button can be pressed a second time to get an aux function. I think I will need to replace my radio with that other model. I don't believe the similar Toyota 51825 will work due to being a JBL radio system.

I have bids on eBay out for both the Bluetooth adapter and a Toyota 51824 radio. I will try to keep everyone appraised on how it goes so might help others.

3. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Real Quick:
    I tried it and it did not work
    Did not break anything but the Bluetooth transmitter would not talk to the radio