1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius rear drum vs. disc

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JRMurray, Mar 22, 2008.

1. JRMurray

JRMurray Magnetic Gray is the only way!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I read in this thread <http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/38045-canadian-2008-prius-rear-disc-brakes.html> that the Canadian Prius has front discs/rear drums.

I'm quite familiar with the benefits of rear discs on a conventional car, but do rear drums present much of a disadvantage for the Prius?

Cheers!

Joel

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really. It has ABS w/EBD and Brake Assist to help you out (assuming the brake pads are of decent grip). The tyres are ok but I don't know what the 16" alloys adorn. Probably Bridgestones if I had to guess.

If you take a look at the rear drums of a Prius, it's probably the smallest rear drum of any car (maybe except an old Kia Spectra back in the cost-cutting days). Despite that, it stops just fine. I drove a Prius in the Toyota Hybrid Tour last May and put it through several repeated full emergency stops with some through a large puddle of water at the SilverCity Rmd parking lot. Aside from a bit of smoke and the burnt smell of rubber, it seemed ok.

Keep in mind that the brakes aren't used very often so they're not likely to heat up too much during normal driving so smaller rotors/drums will suffice.

4. rookie101

rookie101 average member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    if you drive the prius correctly you will only use the conventional brakes at very low speeds.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Drums are not really a disadvantage on the Prius. The main advantage of disk brakes are that they resist fade during extended braking. With the Prius, the hydraulic brakes are not used for extended braking, but only at low speed or for a fast panic stop. The only exception to this would be a very long and steep downhill where the battery SOC maxes out and engine braking is insufficient to keep the car slowed. In that case, the friction brakes have to pick up the slack. This is a rather rare and specific special case.

Tom

6. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't really mind having drum brakes on the rear of my Prius. Besides, I do not really go fast enough like a sports car. :rolleyes:

My old '96 Nissan Quest had rear drums and it performed just fine. I guess it all depends how aggressive you are in your driving habits. For emegency situation, the Prius has lots of stopping power.

Drive safe and maintain a safe distance.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Which is why B mode is there...

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Exactly, although B mode doesn't eliminate the problem, it only forestalls it. If a hill is so steep that engine braking is insufficient to keep the car slowed, the friction brakes will eventually have to pick up the slack after the SOC maxes out. There is no other way to slow the car, short of driving into a tree. Admittedly, this is a rare situation that requires a long, long, and very steep hill. Being and engineer, I have to list all of the options, even if they are unlikely. In this type of situation, B mode immediately starts engine braking and wasting energy to forestall maxing the SOC. In D, the same thing happens, but not before the SOC is fairly high. B mode buys you more distance before the friction brakes become necessary.

Side note to Bill: I know this is all old hat to you. I posted it again to help n00bs that might be reading this for the first time.

Tom