1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Refused Gasoline

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by andyprius, Mar 9, 2005.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On a trip to Lake Tahoe today, I decided to tank up first, although it was about half full. The gas tank refused to allow me to pump gas in continuously, and I had to keep clicking off and trying again. Realizing the futility of this exercise I tried a different pump and a different payng procedure, cash instead of credit card. NO HELP. I finely said forget it and drove about 200 miles on the remainder of tank. Had a fine trip, beautiful day ate at Harrahs, Forest Buffet. Got back to Sacto and filled up the Gas Tank with no problem. This problem was addressed before but the details and fix escape me, something about removing gas cap twice and reseating twice. I just figured the flatus regulator on the tank was malfunctioning and the poor thing was under extreme pressure. AvMPG:52

2. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had this problem once before (but filling an empty tank) and I feel like I've heard of others having the problem. The pump kept clicking off right away after starting. I just got frustated and gave up on trying to fill my tank (put in maybe a gallon) and got gas later at a gas station I normally use. I don't know that I've heard of a fix for it--I think it's related to the auto-off sensitivity of the pump at the particular gas station and the way the Prius tank is designed.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have had this problem twice at the same pump at the same station. I think the auto shutoff was set way too sensitive. I also have noted if I have some problems with filling if I pull the nozzle back an inch or so it will work push it all the way in and it will not on some pumps.

4. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

I Just brought my baby into the shop for this exact problem. The technician said there was nothing wrong with the car. He said he added five gallons (yeah, for free gas) and had no problem. But this exact same thing has happened to me twice now. Has anyone found a solution for this? I filled up today with no problem.... is it my car or the gas pump?

5. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

This happened to me a couple times when I first got my car. I think the early shutoff occurs when no air is getting into the tank and/or you're filling the tank too fast. Since then, I use the lowest setting, which takes a little longer but doesn't cause early shutoff. I also try not to jam the whole nozzle into the car, allowing some airflow.

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I used different pumps, different pay systems and experimented with different insertions of nozzle. Nothing worked until I came back from trip and refueled. Tank then gave me no problem and took about 8 gal to FULL. Where are all the EXPERTS on this site? Is this some abnormal overpressurization in the tank. Car had been in garage as usual and time of failure was about 0830.

7. Stocky

Stocky New Member

I think it is all something to do with the fart bag you US guys have got in the gas tank - no bag, no problems here.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Often the problem is a doof who was there before you tried to top off his tank and flooded the return vent with gasoline - which then causes havoc with the auto shut-off system . . . pressure builds up quickly and the pump stops. That is one of the reasons they say not to top-off.

I haven’t tried it with a Prius, so I don’t know ifs the clearances will allow: With the nozzle and rubber boot firmly placed in the filler tube, try turning the nozzle upside down and lift the hose to drain the trapped gasoline into your tank. (Free gas!)

If this does not work, try filling with the nozzle in the upside-down position. Some auto shut-offs are touchy.

9. tk37

tk37 Junior Member

The turning the nozzle upside down and lifting the hose thing always works for me. I find that if I visit all 12 pumps at the local sunoco, I can get about 2 bars for free this way. Enough to get me back and forth to work for a week.

10. senectus

senectus New Member

this is driving me insane as well, and my version of the Prius doesn't have the "bladder".

I found that holding the pump so that only the tip of it is in the "hole" will let me run the pump at full speed.
    just don't slip or it'll get messy.

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do you have Vapor Recovery Nozzles in Australia like we have in the USA?

[​IMG]

If you do, then holding the nozzle as you described - “so that only the tip of it is in the “hole††- defeats the vapor recovery system. At that point you are polluting more than the Prius will do in burning that entire tank of gas!

The entire length of hose from the pump to the nozzle is two tubes in one. One tube delivers the gasoline, the other returns the displaced vapor back to the pump and underground tank.

Some yahoos, when they overfill their tanks, bleed gasoline back into the vapor recovery tube which blocks free flow of vapors back into the system - pressure then builds up quickly and the auto shutoff trips. The tube needs to be cleared as I described above.

12. senectus

senectus New Member

no we don't.. but I dont think you fully understand what I meant.. I'll take a photo of the fuel hole point on my prius and show you..

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not all of USA has that accordian tube by the way. We don't.

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Good point DanMan, but accordion tube or not, if there is a vapor recovery system there is a vapor recovery return tube which can be clogged with liquid gasoline.

Some vapor recovery systems have a series of holes around the nozzle which sucks in a greater volume of air than that which is displaced by the volume of gasoline delivered . . . therefor a negative net amount of air (or fumes) escaping from the car into the atmosphere.

15. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This has never occured to me yet (well, I have only put gas once...).

Once advice to all of you, do not overfill your tank. Stop when it clicks. We used to overfill our gas tanks in several of our cars ('95 Dodge Van, '98 Camry, '93 Regal) and the gas gauge always broke... Maybe the floater inside can't take it.

Moral of the story, don't overfill.... or maybe a techie can tell us if the Prius has a special gas tank.

16. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1\";p=\"108325)</div>
    Very special and it has been the subject of extensive discussion in this forum.

17. Sid

Sid New Member

I find it's hard to insert the gas nozle into the fuel tank, there's resistance, then once in, it's also hard to pull it out.
    And, what's the purpose of the bladder in U.S. models?

18. pcgod

pcgod New Member

I have noticed this problem in other vehicles. I will get a few tenths of a gallon in, then the auto shutoff will trip. Usually when this happens, I have to hold the lever down at its lowest level and very slowly fill the tank (which takes FOREVER on my company's Windstar with its 25 gallon tank). I would guess that the bladder in the US tanks could possibly make the problem more aparent. I will definately try the previous poster's suggestion on fixing it the next time it happens.

19. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sid\";p=\"108352)</div>
    The rubber bladder grows and shrinks with the gas remaining in the tank and reduces the amount of gasoline surface that is exposed to air. This reduces evaporative emissions and is necessary for the AT-PZEV rating.

20. Sid

Sid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryogajyc\";p=\"110143)</div>
    Thanks.
    Here's a follow-up question:
    Would it be possible for that bladder to rupture due to overfilling?