1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius refuses to drive in EV mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sailor, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Sailor

Sailor New Member

I drive the same route to my work every day, and normally, after driving down the offramp from the highway, the battery status is "green" and the Prius will drive in EV mode as much as possible. There is one long road short after the offramp were the speed limit is 50km/h (30MpH) and every day, the Prius drives this entire road without starting the ICE.
    But this suddenly changed a week ago; the Prius refuses to drive in EV mode!. The battery status is green, I am not using the airco, lights are off, heater is off, but the ICE keeps on running. Just mild featering the pedal used to be enough to get in EV mode, but now, even at the traffic light, the ICE keeps running for at least 5-10 seconds, just like in stage 3. But that is impossible, since the car has been driving at least 20 minutes, 10 minutes highway traffic. How is this possible ?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Way way too many variables to tell you why the car is behaving in a given way at a given moment. Don't sweat it.

3. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I notice this past weekend that my '02 classic was insisting on running the ICE at times when it normally will go in EV only. The only thing I attribute this too was the computer trying to protect the battery as the temperature was between 95-100 both days. I also noticed that at times the battery fan was running on high - and I have never heard this before.