1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius reliability survey

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Aug 20, 2006.

?
  1. 1 day or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2-4 days

33.3%
  3. 5-7 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 8-14 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 15-21 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 22-28 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. More than 28 days

33.3%
  8. Does not apply to me

33.3%
  1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Credit for the idea goes to Marjam, who sent me an email. :)

There are separate surveys for the Classic (01-03) and 2nd Gen (04-06) Prius, and a survey for how long on average it took to repair the issue(s) if that section applies. Note that time to repair is not directly related to the vehicle itself, but has many other variables.

And while I'm thinking about it, let's define "issue" as something standard. How about as an issue that significantly affected your driving experience or the drivability of the vehicle that was directly related to the Toyota components? By this I'm meaning to exclude things like flat tires, hitting a curb and screwing up your alignment a bit, car accidents, express lube mishaps, at-home modifications gone wrong, etc.

Also, please post specifics if you feel inclined to do so. Did anyone initially join PC to ask about a problem they had after searching for Prius issues on the web?

Disclaimer:
    Keep in mind this is *not* a random sampling of the Prius driving population (yes, I've been reviewing my statistics lately...) so this is not something we could extrapolate to everyone who owns one. However, it will tell us about the specific members of Priuschat and that's about as far as we can take it.

and for the record, we've logged 18,800 trouble free miles to date in our 05 prius ;)

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hm. *I* didn't have any issues. So I voted no and doesn't apply to me.

But like others I did have to bring it in to have the steering shaft thing done. That took 90 min.

They do my oil, but I don't consider that the issue with this poll as that isn't repair, it's maintenance.

3. marjam

marjam Member

Thank you, Galaxee, You're the greatest!

No troubles with either of my Prii. :)

4. jmccord

jmccord New Member

Thanks Galaxee, great survey.
    Call me stupid, but you may want to define "Classic" and "2nd Generation" as well. :huh:

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, kinda weird, I'm a little caught by what an "issue" is I guess. I had an "issue" in that I had an ICE stall corrected after the 40D SSC, I had an issue with the MFD blinking funny and had it replaced. I had an issue with the weird fuel guage and filler tube. I had an 'issue' with the SKS that the mechanic screwed it up when doing another TSB.

But I haven't had anything I consider a serious "issue" as far as fried Inverter, blown battery, ICE issues, etc. None of my 'issues' resulted in a lack of drivability.

Anyway, I answered in the affirmative for the 1-3 issues b/w 25-50k miles. I also said 5-7 days, but that's a bit tough too b/c I had to wait for the parts to come in several times for the various issues after my inital 'diagnosis', but I was never without my car for more than a couple days.

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I marked no issues. But I had the two recalls done, for steering and the computer update. These were done before I had any problems. Each took the dealer about 3 hours to do and I just waited for the car while I had breakfast.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

my Classic has been reliable as a car can be, her G2 had the glove box cover issue fixed under warranty. Only trouble. Well I don't consider my getting water in the #1 sparkplug tube a problem. If I'd have had the CAN-view with the OBD11 card I'd have fixed it myself.
    jmccord the Classic were the NA models from 2001-2003 the G2's started in 2004 continuing thru the 2006.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i agree that defining an "issue" is tough. i tried to come up with some general guidelines but yes, overall it's subjective.

what i'm getting at is vehicle reliability- does your car do what you expect it to do . so if your ice did stall per the 40d recall, yes that's an issue. having the fix but not having experienced the stall, probably not an issue. annoying, but you can go to the appointment at your convenience, etc.

while it's tough to determine whether tech screwups should count, i think we should exclude those since they're not directly related to vehicle quality. that sounds more like service quality and grounds for a whole new survey. hmm.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I didn't include the tech screwup that fried the HV computer duing the flash. But all the other ssc have been hassel free. My Classic has never been inside the dealership.