1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius remote controlled with laptop?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sorka, Aug 4, 2008.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    A few weeks ago, on the first episode of Robocars, the Golem Group prius talked about why the used the prius and it essentially boiled down to the fact that it could be completely driven with a laptop. The implication is that throttle, brake, and steering could all be controlled by computer.

Given the Prius has electric power steering and in some countries, comes with self park firmware, can the Prius be driven by a computer?

Can you imagine driving the Prius around in low speed maneuvers around the garage and driveway? Need to wash the car but don't want to open it up or sit down just to move to the driveway?

2. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a couple of instances with remote control already. A guy on here has been working on some rudimentary steering servo control of the Prius and a few Prii have been used in various robotic challenges, such as DARPA challenges.

I've often thought about it also. Hopefully one day when we can pick up really cheap second hand ones I may have some tinkering for off-road remote control Prius fun!

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The Golem Group Prius *is* the one in the DARPA challenge I was referring too. When you say someone was working on a steering servo control, do you mean interfaced with the ECU so that the electric power steering control can be operated electronically?

4. livininspirit

livininspirit New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, it is very do-able to control the Prius with a laptop.
    Steering: its done by sending i believe 0 - 5 volts to the steering wheel sensor. 0 being turn left fastest, and 5 turn right fastest. you can read the steering angle from the CANBUS as well.
    Brake: The prius has electronic brake pump, but to access that and activate it is a proprietary information from Toyota. They usually don't just make that public. If someone has it, please let me know!! :D
    Throttle: since it is drive by wire, It should be really simple to just simulate the signal the same as the steering.

So yeah, it is relatively easy to make Prius remote controlled but to obtain the information from Toyota on how to access the various control module or sensor information onboard would be the biggest hurdle. Or you can implement your own.

5. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm thinking though that the US bound Prius' probably don't have the appropriate servo to turn the steering wheel. :(

6. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Why would a seperate servo be needed since it already has one for power steering?

8. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for posting the link. I totally missed that thread. I didn't realize that with the auto park feature it just used the existing electric steering and didn't require an additional servo of some sort. That's very very cool. :) I'd be one of the ones to tinker with the voltage if I wasn't so afraid of blowing up the Prius. :(

Mike

9. livininspirit

livininspirit New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    yeah u can take some voltage reading to the sensor module as described in that post about power steering hack. I think the author said it was just simply 0 - 5 Volt to get the steering motor to turn.

I really want to find out about the brake actuator and throttle though.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry it took me an eternity to weigh in on the RC topic, but here's everything you'd ever imagine you can do, to control your Prius from far away:

First ~ you gotta have a screwy rotating intenna mounted on top, for that extra special gain, from very very far away :cool:

[​IMG]

(you'll have to click on the image below and enlarge it to make the distortion go away ... sorry, I don't know how that happened)
    Next, get ready to buy more high tech electronics than ever ought to be legally allowed . . .

[​IMG]

Oh! did I forget to mention? In order to do this with fail safe's up the wazoo ~ so it'll run 100% safe ? ? ... make certain you have lockheed martin's budget, & you'll be good to go
    :rolleyes:

The was down in San Diego a few weeks ago at their technology display

1 person likes this.