1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Repaint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tobalt, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Tobalt

Tobalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had my beloved '04 Millenium Silver Prius since Dec 03, and I love the girl. When I saw the new Magnetic Grey Prius, I fell in love with the color. I'm now considering to repaint my car to that Magnetic Grey. My questions are: Is this feasible? And what will the average cost be to have a professional do it?

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you're going to paint, how about a two-tone: Magnetic Gray up to the windows and Silver above? You could get very creative...

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure the prices are all over the place (does Earl Scheib still "paint any car for just $99.95"?) but I'm guessing a couple thousand or so for a good, durable respray (this might not include the underside of the hood, parts of the door jambs, etc., though).

I've heard that if they put the car in an oven to harden the paint, it's important to remove or shield certain of the electric components from the heat (the HV battery comes immediately to mind).

Consider cost, but also try to see if the shop looks clean, how the paint booth and baking oven look (are the filters in the paint booth relatively clean, or caked with junk? for example)...and do make sure to examine a similarly priced paint job, in a similar color if possible, which they've already done...to see how it came out.

There should be minimal or no orange peel (and, at least as importantly, it should be consistent over the surface of the vehicle).

The rubber around the windows and other trim items should have NO overspray on them. In fact, as much of the trim as reasonably possible should have been *removed* before the car was sprayed...so see if they took the time to re-attach it securely or not.

Also, make sure that they mask off the UNDERSIDE of the car or you'll end up with a muffler, wheelwells, etc. dusted with paint overspray...a dead giveway that she's been repainted, and not that carefully either. A lot of what makes a good paint job is in the prep.

Do they warranty it for a period of time? Not just for fading or whatever, but nastier stuff...like, it wasn't prepped correctly and you spilled gasoline on it when the car burped and now the paint is bubbling...or, you're involved in an accident, the next body shop goes to blend the paint in one area...and when they take off the masking tape, your paint job (which is now serving as the 'base' layer) comes with it!! Don't laugh, I've seen just such a thing happen, and it wasn't pretty for anyone.

If you can, open the doors or hood or trunk of the car you're examining and run your fingers down the edges. You shouldn't feel anything too sharp or bumpy.

And take a look at it from LOTS of different angles, especially early in the AM or in the dusk of evening (avoid midday if you can). You might be surprised at the level of imperfection you'll find, such as:

--Buffing burns/swirls from being buffed out too aggressively?

--If it's clearcoat (like the metallic you're considering, I suspect) try to look BELOW the shiny clearcoating to the base, color coat when you're examining how good their work is. How evenly was the color coat applied?

--Does it look like the car would be pretty shiny even without a clear coat (good) or does it look like the color itself is actually fairly bumpy and inconsistent (really obvious with metallic silver), and it's the clearcoat which is basically the only think making the car look shiny? (bad)

--Does the paint itself have that depth, yet thinness, that comes from multiple coats and rub-outs (good) or more of a gloppy thickness that comes from applying the paint as heavily as possible, to give coverage with the fewest number of intermittent steps possible (bad)?

--What does the color you've chosen REALLY look like? If it's a factory color, no problem, but remember that colors tend to get more intense and darker when you see a lot of it!

Daves09prius likes this.
  4. phidauex

phidauex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't do a Maaco or Earl Sheib paint job. It won't look like you want it to look!

Expect to pay about 1500$-2000$ for a good quality paint job. They should be removing most trim, not taping over it, and they should be painting door jams, hatch pillars, and places like that. It costs extra! But if you are going from silver to dark grey, it will be VERY obvious if they don't spray under the trim and door jams and whatnot. If you are going to a very similar color, or painting the same color because of body damage, you can usually skip that part, but if you are doing a total color change, you should really pay extra to do it right, or your car will lose a lot of resale value, and you won't be satisfied with the result.

To be honest, it would probably be easier to just sell your prius, and trade up to a new one in magnetic grey!

But like Bill said, if you really must repaint, then use this as an opportunity to get a little creative. It will be expensive, and a huge pain in the butt to do, and if you end up with just a stock-looking car... Then what was the point? If you do a cool two-tone thing, or other body mods, like rolled fenders, or a hood scoop (hehe, just kidding), then it can be something really custom.

Even like a dark magnetic grey with a slighly more metallic wide 'racing strip' could be subtle, but distinctive. Something people will notice, and something to make all that money and time really feel worthwhile.

-Sam

Daves09prius likes this.
  5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've seen pictures of a Prius that had the kind of paint that changes color depending on where you look.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 16 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]424283[/snapback]</div>
    I saw a Buick turbo at a show with that kind of paint. That paint is frightfully expensive.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phidauex @ Apr 16 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]424219[/snapback]</div>
    I agree from personal experience with Maaco. IMO for what a "factory quality" job is going to cost you probably won't lose that much trading up to a 2007 with the color you want. Later, I think you may have more difficulty finding a buyer for the repainted car.

7. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wow tremendous feedback here. I've been researching this extensively since deciding the 'pale' blue in the states just didn't measure up to the Spectra Blue Mica from Japan.

Pinto Girl makes some excellent points, many of which were brought up by my local Toyota Body shop who I have been discussing the repaint with. My quote is just under 2k.

I have to agree with JimN if your not going for a unique color then you might save the expense and look into buying a new prius in the color you want...

8. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Boy....$2K sounds awfully cheap for a complete repaint. I guess if you are just going to paint the exterior and ignore the door jams, under the hood, trunk, gas flap etc., maybe that is OK. I just think a good quality paint job, as described by PintoGirl (that woman's knowledge just amazes me every time she posts) is going to be more than that. I would think $3500.

I, in another lifetime, was a painter and to do it right, as described in detail by PintoGirl, takes time and the quality is in the prep work. Remove all trim, lights, glass, etc, make sure they are not getting overspray under the car, in the engine compartment, etc.

If not done correctly, the value of the car will drop substantially. Personally, I think anytime you change a color from factory, the value drops. I guess for a Prius not such a big issue, really more of a big deal on collector cars. I love my Prius, but it can't be considered a collector......yet.

9. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Apr 17 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]424580[/snapback]</div>
    You are absolutely correct...must have been the time of my post :) ....my post should have read the quote was under 3k. Its expensive to be sure to be done right, it may end up costing us a less then normal as we have had to use this shop twice in the last year for our Sienna. :angry:

One thing is for sure, anyone considering this hopefully will not even consider going to Maaco or a similar 'budget shop'. You always get what you pay for...