1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Repairs When on Road Trip?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by rullman, Jun 8, 2008.

1. rullman

rullman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :rolleyes:I am considering purchasing the 2009 Prius but am concerned about getting stuck in the middle of nowhere when on a roadtrip. If I breakdown and have to be towed to a non-Toyota dealer, will the mechanic be able to repair or have experience in repairing this type of vehicle or am I a slave to the Toyota repair centers?
    If I buy a Honda Fit, then at least I know a mechanic should have sufficient training to fix a normal vehicle. Let's face it, the Prius is not considered a run of the mill automobile and many repair shops do not have the necessary training to fix the car without an authorized Toyota mechanic onsite.
    Do I have a valid concern?

Thanks

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You have a valid concern. The only Prius mechanics will be at a Toyota dealership, unless you are talking about simple problems. On the other hand, the odds of having a breakdown are much lower than most cars, as the Prius is very reliable. I suppose it all comes down to where you plan to drive.

Tom

3. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a valid concern but the Fit is kinda in the same boat so with either be prepared to do stuff your self (change a flat, check fluid levels, listen for odd noises etc) much more than that your gonna need a pro (which most gas station mechanics aren't)

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What type of breakdowns do think will happen? Your concern would only be for the hybrid portion of the vehicle, everything else is just like a normal vehicle. I am not sure what you think would happen.

I owned a Honda Insight Hybrid for 5 years and drove it from the West Coast to the East Coast and back with not one problem. I have owned my Pruis for almost 2 years and haven't had any breakdowns.

The Hybrid systems are pretty fool proof. You are more likely to run out of fuel or have a tire blow out than any issues related to the Hybrid system while on a roadtrip.

5. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Under warranty, IMO you want warranty work to be done by a Toyota dealer. If there are none within 100 miles of where you live, I'd suggest to not buy a Toyota.

Where are you travelling to that there are no Toyota dealers within towing distance ?

Anyway Toyota has roadside assistance for 3 years I think. Check to see if they will cover you where you are going. If it's Continental US, I'd think you are OK.