1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Rim Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius2006rocks, Nov 19, 2006.

1. prius2006rocks

prius2006rocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Last night, drove onto a curb to avoid hitting a neighbor's dog and didn't think anything of it. Today when I went to wash the car I noticed that the front passanger's side rim plastic ring thingy was clicked off one so I snapped that back in, after struggling for like 15 mintues! It didn't want to go back on. I can see it scratched/gouged the plastic part and the metal rim. So now I don't know what to do! I just feel awful. So what can I do to fix these things or make them look better? I assume I can buy the new plastic rim cover? Is it expensive? And as for the metal, can I do anything to make it look better/prevent it from rusting? My Prius is an 06' Silver. I am dreading how much that little thing will be... Any thoughts, help or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

2. gplm2007

gplm2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How about one for free???????? As a new owner of 2007 Touring model, I know that they come with four wheel covers for 16" wheels. The odd thing is that they are factory equiped with 16" alloy wheels, but Toyota includes the wheel covers for steel wheels--go figure? If your dealer will hook you up with a new Touring buyer, maybe he/she will give then to you. In case you have 15" wheels, perhaps you could use them as trading material B)

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius 2007 Touring Duo @ Nov 19 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]351872[/snapback]</div>
    Alloy wheels are standard for all 04-07 Prius. You don't have to worry about rust. I suggest you remove the other three trim rings, many of us think the car looks better with out them.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< The Touring Edition 16" wheel covers will not fit the "Standard" edition 15" wheels... but I'm sure you know that.

You can purchase a new wheel cover for your standard 15" wheels, or sometimes I see such items available on eBay for less than a dealer's price. If your alloy wheel is not damaged, you can simply remove all the trim rings (covers) and see if you like them that way... That was my preference on my 2004 recently traded for my Touring Edition 2007.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I recommend you take the car to a tire shop and have the tire removed and inspected internally. Often a hit that causes damage to the rim will cut or otherwise damage the tire internally. This can lead to a catastrophic blow out.

Your Toyota dealer can also do this inspection, but a tire shop will have better experience. Just find a good one.

6. prius2006rocks

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK. Yeah I called the dealer and they have a cover for like $40. Not as much as I was thinking. So the metal part (is mine alloy?) will not rust? Can I touch it up some how? And as for the tire, do you all agree it should be checked in case of a blow out?? Thanks so much.

7. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2006rocks @ Nov 20 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]352297[/snapback]</div>
    Here you go... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-PRIU...sspagenameZWDVW $120 - $150 will get you a "new" wheel. Have your tire switched to this "new" wheel, throw the trim rings away and feel confident in knowing you're riding on four wheels that have not hit a curb. :unsure:

8. prius2006rocks

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmm, I'll ask the dealer for their recommendations - we know the guy we bought the car from very well. I'll see what they say. A new cover ring is easy but for me a new rim would be very costly. It seems to drive fine and the tire didn't get touched it looks like. So I will play it by ear. Thanks to everyone who helped me out!