1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Road trip Service/Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jetboyski, Jun 8, 2024.

Tags:
  1. jetboyski

jetboyski New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello

Currently have a 2015 Prius Hatchback, with a little under 60k miles. Curious what some may recommend before I embark on a decently sized roundtrip about 5k miles.

I have done oil changes every 5k miles for the past 30k miles. From my POV the only thing that needs assistance is invertor and engine fluid. Both are about low when cold.
    Other than that I change cabin and engine air filters recently, and also clean my throttle body.

When took into dealer about 2.5k miles ago, a bunch of stuff was recommended(60k service++). Besides that, very low miles for almost a decade old car.

Long story short, would it be beneficial to change my fluid or other things prior to the trip or it something I can do when I return?

Thank you

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wish you well. Not really a lot to do to this vehicle for a trip fresh oil that's an oil change interval for you apparently so probably start with a fresh so when you get back you're ready for the next change cabin filters and things like that aren't going to really affect your trip per se so everything should be good until it isn't no telling when that'll be if ever in your time W vehicle . Just go and enjoy

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe best to leave ambitious/new maintenance till after the road trip, just in case of possible screw ups; better to be close to home.

items I’d consider, that aren’t on Toyota USA schedule:

1. Transaxle fluid change
    2. Brake fluid change
    3. EGR system cleanout
    4. In-depth brake inspection (this one “is” in the official schedule, but very low-key. Every 36 months or 30k miles.)

after the road trip. :)

Stuff worth doing before trip would be basics, like tire pressure check, including spare.

wouldn’t hurt to top up those two lowish coolant reservoirs too; score a gallon of the Toyota Super Long Life Coolant; you’ll need the rest eventually.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Jun 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2024