1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius rubbing noise from front left tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by thetruth1983, Jun 24, 2017.

1. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello. Long time lurker here and I finally need some advice. My 2009 Prius Touring has a loud noise that seems to be coming from the front left tire area. The noise sounds like a rubbing/clanking/metallic sound. The noise can be heard very loud up until about 40 mph and then it's barely noticeable above that speed. To best describe the noise, it can sound like rubbing sometimes but it could also sound metallic; like 2 plates are clapping against each other. Also, the steering has been wonky and vibrating. Also, the noise seems to disappear when I apply the brakes. So I could be driving around 30 mph and listening to the loud clanking noise and once I apply the brakes, the noise would be gone. It comes back as soon as I take my foot off the brakes.

I took it to a mechanic earlier and paid for a diagnostic. He said that the problem was a bad driver side tire. He showed me where the driver side tire had been rubbing against the coil spring. The thing is, that particular tire had been replaced after the noise had started. That would mean that I would have had 2 bad tires in a row. Also, I wonder if it's a bad tire, why would the sound stop when the brakes are applied? What is it about a bad tire that makes it rub against the coil spring? It seems to me that it would be a suspension problem. Anyway, I ordered a new tire online and will have it on Tuesday. Still, I don't feel like a new tire would solve my problems since this is the 3rd tire that would be on that side. If anyone has any experience or advice with this, please let me know. Thanks!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    do not know what it is, but I think you're right: can't see how a "bad" tire would cause this. If the tire is rubbing it's likely to something amiss in the suspension.

3. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Put the front of the car on jack then block rear tire put the car in drive Listen for the noise have some in car Put the current diagnostic mode so it turns off The hybrid system

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a friend with some jack stands so we can do that next week. Hopefully I can find the problem.

5. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wheel Bearing or engine mount
    If still there in Neutral just rolling

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mechanic showed OP point of contact between tire and suspension. Something definitely not right there.

If the car's lifted off the ground it'll radically change things tho.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OP needs to investigate which driver of the Prius hit a pothole or a curb with the wheel in question. I agree that a damaged front suspension part is likely.