1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Rustling?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Froley1, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone else wondered at what gas price the Prius's will start being the stolen vehicle of choice?

just considering this issue
    Froley

2. nosliw

nosliw New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i think how easy they are to steal will have a say in that question.

won't be taking mine, i LoJack'ed it

3. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Lojack doesn't mean it wont be taken, just that, hopefully, it will be recovered.:cool:

4. hackIT

hackIT Oceanic Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, I've wondered when (not if) we'd see an increase in the number of Prii being lifted.

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Fortunately, Toyota made stealing a Prius harder than average.
    1) You need the key to drive one off.
    2) The very long warranty and high reliability makes the spare part market smaller than average
    3) It is not an easy car to easily take parts out of.
    4) It is not an easy car to repair by midnight mechanics.
    5) Prius buyers and sellers are a little smarter and a little more careful than average.
    6) Thieves want to maximize the $$$ they make by crime, not the mpg....so that helps since there are higher value autos out there.

Unfortunately, there are always crooks that don't get the word, so be smart.

6. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think you are right FL, high technology may be our best defense---
    chop shops not knowing what to do, strippers unable to make sense or adapt the parts--
    if there develops an underground battery market somewhat like copper is now that might create a problem...i was just wondering about this question since it seems to me that car theft shifts with popular culture...
    thanks for the reality check...good points
    Froley

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Often, cars are stolen to facilitate other crimes, and then the value of the car has nothing to do with it. Still, they'll go for the easier mark, so it helps that the Prius is comparatively difficult to steal. Unless of course the thieves are in the parking lot, waiting for the next person with keys in hand...

8. kcpistol

kcpistol Byte Stylist

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Seems like someone here posted the insurance theft rates and they were very low so far. That's probably because they are pretty hard to steal.

Another two factors might be:
    1). A lot of crooks might not even know how to drive one (i.e. how to start, shift, etc)
    2). They aren't very ubiquitous - yet. You don't "blend in" in a Prius, you tend to stand out. Not what someone taking one to commit a crime wants.

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Very good. Never realized all those critics out there dismissing the Prius were actually helping us out.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Without a fob, the only way to steal it is to jack it up on a flatbed and carry it off. This is a deterrent in itself.

If you manage to do this, you can't sell the car as is because you don't have a fob to start it. (Let alone the paperwork.)

So you're stuck parting it out. But...there isn't that large a market for parts.

In general, if you're stealing the car because it gets great gas mileage, you are not going to achieve that purpose because you can't drive (or sell) the car.

11. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, I speak from experience as a victim (and 2nd hand from speaking with the cops). Cars are usually stolen to be parted out or to be used for a short period of time, usually to commit another crime or just for joy-riding. Thieves look for easy to steal cars that blend in.

Other cars are stolen to be shipped overseas to drug cartels and warlords, and they "order" high-end cars and SUVs. These cars tend to be stolen with the keys, by car-jacking or by breaking into the house to steal the keys.

The Prius doesn't really fit the bill in either case, and someone who steals cars is probably also going to steal gas, so I don't think the high cost of gas is going to have much impact on car thefts.

12. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Always leave a dog or kid inside. They tend not to steal those.