1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius safety info

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gurmail, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The following info is from a respectable Italian mag. I wonder if all this is true in the US/Canadian Prius as well ? I also wonder why Toyota hasn't emphasized these security features more:

http://www.newstreet.it/home/article_Id_627.html

The Toyota Prius, the first hybrid car ever to have been tested by Euro NCAP, passed the stringent crash tests with flying colours. Its 34 points equalled the highest score ever awarded in its class and ensured a maximum 5-star rating.

Furthermore, Prius was awarded 43 points in the new Child Protection Rating, the highest score ever recorded. This was achieved thanks to the standard 3-anchor point CRS (Child Restraint System) ISOFIX system and Toyota's intelligent child seat design.

The high level of standard safety equipment - all of which contributes to that 5-star result - includes eight airbags, a dual-stage seatbelt warning system which is unique to Toyota vehicles, a knee protection panel and even a fascia-mounted starting button.

Besides being a strong performer in the field of passive safety, Prius is equipped with active safety features not to be found in any other car on the market. This unique combination puts Prius at the top of the D-segment in terms of overall safety.

Smart engineering solutions

From a very early development stage, a huge amount of computerised crash simulations were conducted to develop a bodyshell which offers the optimum balance between low weight and crash protection. This enabled the engineers to take the right direction in the development process since the start of the project.

To achieve this all-important balance between weight and resistance, some 45% of the Prius body is constructed from High-Strength Steel. In addition, in a world auto industry first, Ultra High-Strength Steel in key areas such as the B-pillar is combined with a hot-stamping manufacturing process, making this material 2.5 times stronger than conventional High-Strength Steel.

To confirm the data from the crash test simulations, a programme of 125 real crash tests took place for Prius - substantially more than usually conducted in the development of a new model.

Addressing real-life safety issues

'Real world' safety issues such as child safety and collisions between two vehicles of differing weights and sizes were addressed during the development of the new Prius.

Impacts between different size and weight vehicles constitute the most common type of accident in Europe, so Prius was crashed against the far larger Toyota Land Cruiser as part of the testing regime, both vehicles driving at 50 km/h. As a result, Prius occupants enjoy the highest possible levels of protection in real-life frontal, side and rear impacts.

To cope with rear impacts, the body strength was increased and the seat back structure was reinforced. The Prius is also fitted with Toyota's WIL (Whiplash Injury Lessening) seat design that protects the passengers' necks from whiplash effects. WIL seats were recognised by ADAC, Germany's auto club, as the best among 10 different whiplash protection systems.

Both the high-voltage electric circuit and the fuel tank enjoy maximum protection in an impact. The hybrid battery is mounted over the rear axle - the safest place in the event of a crash - and the Circuit Break Sensor instantly disconnects the High-Voltage Power Circuit in the event of a frontal impact, operating even before the airbags are fully deployed.

The fuel tank uses a new lightweight plastic multiplex design with maximum impact resistance - even following a 50 km/h rear impact from an SUV the fuel tank suffers no leakage.

Class leading active safety

Besides being a D-segment top peformer in passive safety, Toyota Prius also intends to set an example in the area of active safety. For this reason, it is fitted as standard with features that are unique in the class: 'by-wire' Electronically Controlled Braking (ECB2), Electric Traction Control (E-TRC) and the advanced Vehicle Stability Control Plus (VSC+).

The innovative 'by-wire' ECB2 braking system uses brake pedal-activated electronic sensors to create braking feel and control the braking hydraulics. It not only generates higher hydraulic pressures than conventional systems, but it is also 17% lighter.

The Prius is the world's first car to be fitted with Electric Traction Control (E-TRC). The system controls wheel slippage via ECB2 and the high-torque electric motor element of the Hybrid Synergy Drive. E-TRC is so quick in counteracting the incipient skid that the driver often won't even be aware of an intervention, nor will he or she hear the tyre squealing that is often associated with wheel spin.

Interconnected with ECB2 and E-TRC is Vehicle Stability Control Plus (VSC+) which is the world's most innovative stability control system. It works with the electric power steering system (EPS) to add steering torque assistance to the conventional stability control system, helping the driver get the most out of the car's performance potential by avoiding stability-threatening situations.

Newstreet Magazine - Italy
    [email protected]
    CRASH TEST TOYOTA PRIUS - Versione Italiana

2. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

Besides leaving a small environmental footprint, the main reason I bought the Prius is because it's very safe.
    I know most people don't think of the Prius as an extraordinarily safe car, but it is. The Euro NCAP test is much more science than BS- BS is reserved for the NHTSA test(a rant much too large to cram into this rant)

Personally I have no idea why Americans are so uneducated about cars and buy crap like Cavaliers and F-150s; they are horribly unsafe machines. Put simply and franky, Europeans don't tolerate that kind of nonsense. Europeans in general, care about their safety in a car far more than Americans do. In Europe, it's the law that all new cars have to meet stringent safety regulations. Unlike in America, these regulations are updated more than every 40 years. All European Prius come standard with curtain airbags and stability control-- Toyota doesn't even make it an option. I, like most Europeans find it downright unacceptable to be offered a car that isn't engineered to do everything it can do protect me in an accident.
    If you look on European Toyota websites, the Prius earning 5 stars in the Euro NCAP is everywhere; Europeans want to know.
    In America, Toyota knows most Americans don't really care about safety, so they advertise the car's sunroof and 6 CD Changer... (go to Toyota.com)
    It sounds crappy but it's true: the reason we don't hear about the Prius being so safe, is because most American's don't care---

I rant and bitch about this topic because I am utterly horrified when I see my friends or strangers killed because their car wasn't safe enough or they didn't wear a seat belt.

Just a month ago on my road trip down to Florida, I was passing through Maryland on I-95 when I saw a Jetta cut off an Explorer. The Explorer swerved, overcorrected and rolled 7 times. It was bad enough having my heart in my stomach as I slammed on the brakes watching this SUV roll and roll and roll, but what's worse is seeing two little girls flying out of the windows and breaking apart on the pavement in front of me. I looked over to see a smoking demolished Explorer with the driver's legs on the steering wheel and the passenger slouched over dead in his/her seat. Not being able to help those passengers because they were already dead was one of the worst feelings I've ever had in my life- I couldn't stop shaking or crying- I couldn't even control it. I hate to be gruesome or inappropriate, but that was totally avoidable. It starts with wearing your seatbelt, to having side curtain airbags, to having an strong roof, to having VSC. They all probably would have lived in a Volvo XC-90 with their seatbelts on.

I know not everyone has the money for the safest cars, but the government should know this and look after the people, not Ford or GM. The government should make it the law that all cars are designed to the highest degree of safety, whether the car costs 5,000 dollars or 80,000 dollars.

Since seeing that accident, I almost find it offensive that people are gifted with life and they seemingly choose not to protect it by either not wearing their seatbelt or driving drunk.
    Whenever I'm driving with my dad and we see kids jumping up and down in the back seat of a car, he says their parents should be charged with child abuse. I agree with him; it is child abuse.
    Sorry I rant, but people need to take safety more seriously.
    Take care of yourselves; think next time you get in a car.

3. jchu

jchu New Member

Which brings me to the point about pricing of the Prius. Many (?uninformed) claim that the HSD accounts for an inflated price over an equivelent non-HSD vehicle. I however would contend that what we have paid for is a superior car including the added standard safety features noted in the opening post of this thread.

4. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with you, Flying Prius. People should care more about safety( though not to the point of paranoia) and the govt should mandate it and care more for the people than big corps. I also agree that people should THINK before getting into a car/vehicle and also while driving. Example: I am driving with my wife to go have a nice lunch and then drive a scenic route etc; someone cuts me off( insert whatever ticks you off) and tries to race me. I generally don't even bother honking after the fact. I just shrug and carry on with my task. I only honk if it to warn someone before the fact or maybe a small honk to show civilised disapproval. I don't want to go chasing them, give them the finger or exchange insults as this could lead to a fight, an accident or so on. I am not driving to prove my machoness but to get where I am going in the safest way. I don't want to hurt/kill anyone and go to jail or live with myself rather than go go and enjoy my lunch. People forget that driving is a dangerous thing. If you went out in a dangerous area, you would take all steps and think/plan about keeping safe. It is no different while driving. Keep your distance, be alert, slow down when neccesary etc to avoid unneccesary risks. Unfortunately, many people believe driving to be a place to show off how macho they can be. In other areas of life we forgive people for small inadvertant errors.( if someone bumps into you by mistake, most people don't yell at them). Why must we curse and chase someone who changed a lane without seeing us as long as we avoided them, problem solved.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many of my friend don't understand it since i'm only 20... but i purchased the prius because of it's safety. I used to drive and 87 Lincoln Mark VII LSC.. it had a 225hp HO5.0L engine in it. With no safety features on the car, it became very unstable in wet terrain. I would be scared to go out in the first rain. In any other car, i go puddle stomping. Now.. my old car had a great safety cage.. but everything else was under par. The prius offered me electronic stability control along with many other features. The car is more maneuverable. It has a better breaking system and it's lighter. It has a warranty :p But best of all.. for the price of the prius, other car companies could not match all the features the prius offered. Plus, i'm getting better gas mileage and polluted multiple times less than my old did.

It's simply a wonderful car. This is why i smile :mrgreen:

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Gurmail: Yes, there have been similar articles about the North American Prius, which I imagine is the same car with a few minor differences in available options & standard equipment. The article you posted is the longest and most detailed I've seen. So thanks for posting it. But there have been articles along the same lines as crash test results have become available here.

One of my pet peeves is when people claim to tell us how much more the Prius costs for being a hybrid, and they ignore all the features of the car other than its size category.

And to all who want the government to do something about safety: Good luck! The government does not care about safety. The government cares only about profits for big corporations, and getting re-elected.

My aunt drives an SUV because she believes that it is safer for driving her grandkids around (which she does a lot -- they are the focus of her life) and nothing I can say will ever convince her that there are cars safer than any SUV. At least she and they are always securely belted in.

7. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thank you, Daniel. I really love your idea( posted by you earlier) of having a maximum wage as well as a high minimum to keep things affordable for the common people. I agre with your comment about the govt. It seems the govts in Europe are better.

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Toyota should install side air bags and curtains in all their cars, including the Prius, instead of making these safety features optional. Even the cheapest VWs have these features.

9. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the 2005's will have airbags as standard.. along with windshield wipers in the rear. there is a post about it somewhere on here.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe only the rear wiper was added as a standard feature in 2005.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a friend who was asking about my new Prius he saw in the parking lot. I was talking about the safety features. He said I would be safer in my old SUV. I tried pointing out some of the data to him on SUV's. He said that was ridiculous, it was simple physics the bigger the car the more the inertia the better it will do in a crash. There was no talking to him. The emotional pull of the SUV trumps rationality. "Man is the rationalizing animal not the rational animal" sad but true.

12. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My father feels the same way. He is mistaken. Of course, if you both get into an accident with a semi.. the SUV will hold up better.. but semi collision are the least heard of when it comes to accidents. Also.. think of this. You have all that inertia... but if you hit something solid.. where is the inertia going to be released at.. in the SUV frame.. or through you? If you're friend wants to bring up points about hitting brick walls.. he might be safer in a catapult than an SUV.. either one is going to send you flying. But.. i understand your confusion. Like i said.. my father is the same way.. and he will never see it any differently. OH well.. at least we know we are safer.. and we are polluting less. Not to mention.. we can do what most SUVs can do.. but we can most likely do it faster and we get more futures than an SUV has... for less of the cost. I can do more than my brother can in his SUV.. he thinks his ground clearance is higher than mine.. but his differential sticks down pretty far. Hit that one good time and you're out of commission. Not to mention.. i can rally.. and my bro can't.. i can fit in compact spaces.. he can't.. and i corner faster.. plus.. my car offers airbags for all passengers.. his has 2.. hmm... if we can't get if of the SUV's.. we might as well work to make them better. Hey.. i convinced my mom to trade in the Expedition for a Lexus RX400h :mrgreen:

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that more initeria thing wont work if the car is too big to withstand its own weight.

problem with a car with a lot of weight is that it has more inertia. so it hits an unyielding object like a tree or something and the car crumples the occupants along with the bumper because there is too much inertia.

that is the reason why many SUV's fare WORSE in accidents. smaller lighter cars that protect the occupants well and are light enough will not overcome the crumple zones.

now with that, realize that hitting another moving object or moveable object throws in a different set of rules.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is common to praise our own choices, possessions, friends, etc. I do it plenty. It's human nature. If we have a friend who's a dentist, we really believe he's a better dentist than the one down the block who we've never met.

So it's natural for SUV owners to make wildly false claims about the safety of their death-mobiles. Sad, but natural.